• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First person blood splatter

First person blood splatter

• Aye!

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Nay!

Votes: 36 60.0%

• Total voters

ArchoN2010

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Sometimes when a grenade flies in a room it will kill your comrades but not you, I think a great way to amplify the horror of an incident like this is if blood splattered on the screen as if blood went in your eyes. I think this would be a neat little bit of eyecandy for them room to room engagements where the grenade is so vital :D

Last edited:
nv1pft.png

Upvote 0
go get some blood and splash it in your eyes, it will not look like what you see in games.

Blood splat is a silly visual to show you are wounded. Personally I would very much dislike it being in....

Agreed... however, it WOULD look like the RO1 bullet going by head effect wherein the character blinks instinctively... Surely I am not the only one who loved this effect?

Upvote 0
I actually sorta like the idea, but in a different way.

Ofcourse anything that comes close to your eyes shouldn't be clearly defined, it has to be fussy and unclear. But say a grenade goes off nearby, it could be really immersive if you get small dirt particles splattered across the screen, mixed with a little blood maybe if a comrade gets hit.

It has to wear off quick ofcourse :)

Upvote 0
Splatter on screen would emulate a camera. I guess that's fine if you have "movie mode" on - but I always figured the view symbolized your eye, which wouldn't have a visible splatter on it.

Actually I have had blood (my own) in my eyes before, and it is possible to have blood obscure your vision. It is nothing like it is in videogames however, more of a shapeless orange tint to everything.

But do I want this in RO2? No, unless it is done very realistically, and at that point it would be more annoying than cool.

Upvote 0
It's not supposed to emulate actual blood on your eye.:rolleyes:
It's supposed to be a little shocker, like when you hear a gunshot and all you see is a splat of blood squirting at the window in the setup of a PG-13 crime show. What it's supposed to emulate is the disgust you would have for such blood effects, but the only way to really get this across to the player is by having it squirt directly on his screen.

Same with the dirt that hit your screen in Brothers in Arms when you were behind cover and someone shot at you. Obviously you don't see specs of dirt on your vision in real-life when that happens, but your vision does get obscured and you have a feeling when dirt and debris hits your face. Disgust, shock, pain... The stupid looking dirt effect is just about the most realistic way to get this across to a player. If anything it wasn't extreme enough in BiA.

Personally, I'd say yes to both the blood as described by the OP (but also for other situations, like stabbing someone with a bayonet or shooting someone from very close range) as well as to dirt and whatnot when a shot hits something close to you to increase the effect of suppression.

None of this applies to the weird visible eye-veins screen thingy that's employed by Call of Duty when your health is low. That's just strange. It gets the point across, I guess, but it's basically nothing else than the Gears of War logo fading in when you get hurt, like in, well, Gears of War. Except Gears of War is more honest about it by making it an abstract logo and not a pseudo-realistic eye-vein thing.

Upvote 0
Bloody Screen!! So Real!!!

Getting shot in the leg, bandaging, and then being fine!! So real!!!

Player never having to take a leak, never has to eat or drink!! So real!!!

Players running for about 10 minutes straight then aiming down their sights as if the gun was mounted on a fixed bipod with no sway!! So real!!!

--

What I'm trying to say is that just because it's in lots of other games doesn't mean it shouldn't be here, the picture thing was really stupid as well due to the fact that I never said anything about getting shot and then having a bloody screen, so please read my posts in the future.

If a grenade blew your comrades up but not you, chances are that particles of blood and dirt would fly in to your eye, I've never had blood fly on me when an explosion went off near me, but i've certainly had dirt and when you open your eyes those particles of dirt are definetley prominent.

Reactions: Nezzer
Upvote 0
Splatter on screen would emulate a camera. I guess that's fine if you have "movie mode" on - but I always figured the view symbolized your eye, which wouldn't have a visible splatter on it.

Like everything else in the game?

If its meant to emulate your eyes, why arent you complaining about the gun being where it is? Silly comment.

PS. I dont want blood on screen though.

Upvote 0