• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Countdown could use preparation times.

The Algerian

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2011
Hi everyone,

Many people hated countdown at first, but in the end it's a pretty neat gamemode, that just need a few changes.

Here's what i have in mind:

There should be a preparation time before each objective, so defenders can set up their defense, and it could also allow people whose PC were loading the map a bit slower to spawn. (Because yes, you're considered dead if you join a bit later).

EDIT: It should also not end the round just because Team A captured the first objective and Team B didn't in the previous round.

Last edited:
Totally agree.

Now the mode is just a slightly different anihilation game mode, because both the axis and the allies reach the objective in more or less the same time.

Preparing time for the defenders would make it a genuine 'attack and defend' mode.

That's exactly what I mean, right now it looks really messy.

Absolutely.
And while defenders prepare attackers could use the chat and do a quick plan for attack.

^This

Upvote 0
I think one of the things people are not liking about it (apart from not understanding the mechanics) is that 1 team is supposed to be defending, and yet it feels like a mad scramble for the cap zone. Granted Defenders do spawn a little close, but it still feels rushed.

I had proposed a variant of the game mode in the closed beta forum.

If a map has 3 cap zones A B C (not necessarily linear on the map) Both side start assaulting zone B. They fight it out. The loser gets pushed back to the cap zone "behind" them, either A or C. When the next round starts the loser spawns in the zone, and gets 10 seconds to setup (or whatever playtesting deems necessary). The winners of the 1st round need to assault the new cap zone.

Both commanders still get 2 reinforcement waves available throughout the course of the map.

Whichever team wins twice is the overall winner.

If the losers on Cap zone B, get pushed back to C, then win, they push "forward" back to C and the 3rd round decides the winner.

Both sides having reinforcements creates a Meta game between commanders. Should they burn a wave in the initial assault on B in order to go on the offensive in C? Will 1 wave be enough against their defenses and 2 wave reinforcements? What if i get pushed back to B with no wave available?

Along with a few other tweaks like not ending so abruptly on the conclusion of a cap, perhaps 4 minute rounds, various classes available depending on if Assaulting or defending, might make the Game mode a bit more fun. Having maps that are not symmetrical might pose some balance issues , but you could always just swap "sides" and fight again. The maps might need to be tweaked , or made from scratch to support the mode. And a 5 Cap zone , best of 3 could be possible as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't agree.

Maps like Fallen Fighters would become near impossible for attackers to win. Attacking the Technical School is very difficult unless the attackers literally rush to the windows and jump through before the nades start flying already, now imagine not even being able to get to the windows because the defenders are already there.

The only way I would be for this would be if the reinforcement counter reset after every objective.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

Many people hated countdown at first, but in the end it's a pretty neat gamemode, that just need a few changes.

Here's what i have in mind:

There should be a preparation time before each objective, so defenders can set up their defense, and it could also allow people whose PC were loading the map a bit slower to spawn. (Because yes, you're considered dead if you join a bit later).

EDIT: It should also not end the round just because Team A captured the first objective and Team B didn't in the previous round.

I don't understand how anyone can disagree with this, as it stands on the first section of the countdown map the defenders get attacked as they enter the building they are defending? I saw 4 of my team get mown down trying to crowd into the building as there is a clear line of sight through it, this is stupid. I only survived because I dived for cover, yes this WAS cool and intense but who is supposed to be defending the objective? It wouldn't be so bad however defenders do not get to respawn, attackers potentially TWICE!

It certainly needs tweaking imho.

A solution I feel would be to make the Axis spawn further away slightly, it would make the battle feel more epic. Atm it feels like firefight to me with an objective.

edit: The axis do have a tough time sometimes getting into the technical school but this is player skill and decision making, if SL actually use smoke it's incredibly easy to approach the building.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the attackers would use smoke on Fallenfighters. Sure they'd be able to get close, but what happens after that, attackers have no view on defenders that try to flank or rush towards where they are going.

It could very easily lead to the defenders slaughtering the attackers.

Isn't the whole point of the game mode to have the defenders in an advantage that the attacking team has to overcome with superiour resources and good teamwork?

Upvote 0
I can't agree.

Maps like Fallen Fighters would become near impossible for attackers to win. Attacking the Technical School is very difficult unless the attackers literally rush to the windows and jump through before the nades start flying already, now imagine not even being able to get to the windows because the defenders are already there.

The only way I would be for this would be if the reinforcement counter reset after every objective.

Then increase the number of reinforcements attackers get. It's a gamemode about an big assault and a last stand. The outnumbered defenders have the advantage of a prepared fixed position against superior numbers.

Attackers should have a hard time at first, and during the course of the attack, the game turns in their favour, as defenders are subject to attrition since they have no respawns.

Upvote 0
This would be BRILLIANT. Like Team Fortress 2 for example, one of their better mechanics is the time they let defenders set up sentry guns and snipers find cozy camper spots, aligning their sights with the heavy at the gate.

This way defenders wouldn't spawn to see a suddenly appearing wave of Russians before they can even get into ironsights.

I did kinda have TF2 in mind when I suggested this.

I can't agree.

It's always possible to win, all they have to do is not running like headless chickens, stay low, find some cover and get rid of the first defender curtain.

Would territory mode benefit from this, do you reckon?

I assume it would be nice if territory would benefit from this, especially on maps like appartements where it's basically "attack/defense".

If the attackers would use smoke on Fallenfighters. Sure they'd be able to get close, but what happens after that, attackers have no view on defenders that try to flank or rush towards where they are going.

It could very easily lead to the defenders slaughtering the attackers.

The attackers have reinforcements, defenders do not. Plus camping at a window never made anyone invuln

Upvote 0
Ya I'd give the defenders ~10 seconds to set up. I'd also allow players to spawn in during this period, which would give a grace period to those with slower machines.

But to counter this out I think attackers would need 1 or more waves extra.

I had more like 20 seconds in mind, at least for the first objectives, it would leave a few extra seconds for people who didn't even spawn yet.

Upvote 0
Some maps load really slowly for me (55 sec is the longest so far), so I almost always miss the first objective in CD. Strangely, I'm very often the first one to load in RO1, and I can frequently grab the sniper if I want. But in RO2, I'm often the 20-30th person to load.

I think a 30 sec delay and a 30 second pre-placement (possibly with movement restrictions) is a good idea.

Upvote 0