• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How will heavy MG work? Portable tripod?

The difference is umm kinda significant , if your gonna be like that you could just as well implement anything and dont give a **** about the "gameplay vs fun" concept.

Make someone a mechanic and make him wash tanks... or work at a factory and produce ammo, after all its a part of the the whole war machine isnt it?..

Mr. Exaggeration :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I believe it will be stationary due to the scope of RO...Hey, atleast they are implementing HMGs.

Yes, I agree with some posters that its part of the emmersion experience if you support your team as a whole, wither it be carrying ammo, tripod, etc...Dont forget you still have your small arms to use as well ( support units usually have rifles )

Joe

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's actually the other way around. They carried the tripod on their back if I'm not mistaken.

On marches and if one had to move for a long distance. But on short distance, like changing the position one could carry the tripod by hands.

If it would be in game, there could be two possibilities to carry it:

1. Carry it on back.
+ one can move faster
+ one can use weapons
- it takes rather long to strip off the tripod and deploy it

2. Carry it by hands

+ fast to deploy
- slower movement
- one can not shoot without dropping it

It would be great, if "deployable tripod"-feature would end up in game. It would bring depth and immersion to game. And unlike some say, it would not be boring. Not at all. It would be just as interesting as driving a tank etc. Some like it, some don

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Carrying tripod and supporting the MG is the same case as team tanking. It requires some communication and inteligence above leming level. So, 80% of current RO players are not able to comprehend the idea, but the remaining 20% can really take advantage of it.
I would love to carry a tripod and assist MG gunner (protecting him, spotting targets at long range using binoculars - I think there should be some indicator where the MG squad leader is looking, because you cannot just point finger in game at a distant fallen tree with 3 enemy infantrymen hiding beneath it).

hit the nail on the head

Upvote 0
The thing is in RL I actually take a bit of time to set up a tripod properly. They are not meant to just be thrown down mount the gun and start shooting. Thats what a bi-pod is for. The propose of a tri-pod is the mount a T&E on it.
Traverse and elevation device.
It aim's the weapon for you. The gunner creates a map of the field of fire. Him and the AG dead reckon and spot different points in their field on fire and input the data on the T&E and write it in their map. A rock for example would be up 100 right 40 on the left side and up 95 right 50 is the right side of the rock. Well when the **** hits the fan and the enemys coming form the left side of the rock the gunner inputs that data into the T&E and pulls the trigger. The T&E locks the weapon into place and allows for long range accurate fire. For medium range and quick deployment the bi-pod would be best.

Reactions: Jaesperson and ERK
Upvote 0
I really like the idea of a team based HMG, adds a little depth, that doesnt have to be used, but if it is can be quite effective.

As much as this isnt COD or BF, when a position is predetermined for a gun, it is never used. Everyone knows where it is and in the case of BF just blew everything up that held a gun position. If people start to randomize the positions at each new game, you first have to find it and in all likely hood the battle isnt taking place there.

Having a small team of 2 or at very max 3, to move the gun and spot/support the MG would be a very nice touch. You could set up in some really nice places and be hard to displace but be sitting ducks in the open. Maybe even the commander could relay commands to the crew where would be a good place to set up

Upvote 0
During World War II, it was usually two or more soldiers who had the task to transport, protect, and shoot. I think it would be kinda cool if you had to be at least two or three players in a "MG-Squad" to be able to use the Heavy MG.
I agree with this idea, but I also believe that a machine gunner's already existing squadmates in normal squads serve the same purpose and more.

Generally, those 3 soldiers standing with the tripod/MG had one to carry the tripod, one to carry ammo to feed the MG, one to man/mount the MG.
As if no one did this in RO1, I believe in RO2 it would work like this I suppose: A Carpathian Crosses light artillery (mortar) class-style person would carry the tripod armed with a pistol he could easily whip out, but would have to drop the tripod in doing so. The ammo man is simple, just a guy to feed the MG, only difference is that hes yelled at for being a bad team member for not feeding MGs and he has less weapons and ammo for his own rifle to make room for the MG ammo. MG is just like normal one except he can only mount on tripods with his MG42. Not MG34 because it was demoed it was a more mobile MG.

Upvote 0