• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank Improvement

I think that driving a tank should be as realistic as possible, meaning no W,A,S,D. instead you have to start your engine, clutch gear number 1 press w to accelerate and when the rpm's are at its peak clutch gear number 2.

To reverse you need to change to reverse gears, clutch number 1, accelerate to reverse and then set forward gears and do the above.

Meaning that insane speeds in cross country would be a thing of the past.

- Higher Gears for flat terrain and roads ( more speed, less power)
- Lower Gears for cross country and hills (less speed, more power)

When sniping with a tank, the engine should be shut down due to the noise and the possibility of fire if damaged by enemy fire.

And while we are at it: Left-click should make you take step your left leg, right-click a step with your leg. To go backwards you have to double click one of them.

I haven't really thought that through though, because it is obviously impossible to use your mouse buttons to fire your weapon. Maybe you should only be able to fire your weapon when standing still?

I am open for ideas.

Upvote 0
I don't think I even need to say No.
this is a game, it should be fun, enjoyable, and not scare away 90% of the playerbase. its a combined arms multiplayer experience, not a Tank simulator.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with WASD, even though I could imagine better climbing abilities with slower speeds.

Upvote 0
This has been suggested before and to all those shooting it down mafia 1 did a VERY good job of manual gearing AND made it fun to do so. It spoiled me a bit actually, after playing that game I wanted manual shifting in Mafia 2 and Gta 4, but to no avail...

Back on topic, I will re iterate the suggestions of previous posts on this.

Manual gearing should be similar to Mafia 1, It should allow slightly faster accelleration over auto, and perhaps a higher top speed. The user sets their preference which can then be overridden by server settings ( server forces everyone to use manual or lets players choose which they want ).

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
Perhaps I'm spoiled as well, but when I played WWIIOBE, driving a tank was awesome ! Why?

- Clutching gears gives more immersion, makes you **** your pants when you make a mistake, it's funny as hell listening to those rpm's and bam clutch another gear, then you feel you tank slowing down on rocky terrain and you know you have to clutch a lower gear. (vetted drivers are more efficient)

- Control over certain aspects of the tank, like the hatch on the drivers position (when shut you use the optics and if the visor hatch is open you can be killed by mg fire), checking your instruments etc..etc.. Immersion is a fundamental key of enjoyment !

- You feel the weight of the tank, you feel its speed, its power... in RO1 you basically speed up everything and traverse through everything at insane speeds lol.

Upvote 0
Perhaps I'm spoiled as well, but when I played WWIIOBE, driving a tank was awesome ! Why?

- Clutching gears gives more immersion, makes you **** your pants when you make a mistake, it's funny as hell listening to those rpm's and bam clutch another gear, then you feel you tank slowing down on rocky terrain and you know you have to clutch a lower gear. (vetted drivers are more efficient)

- Control over certain aspects of the tank, like the hatch on the drivers position (when shut you use the optics and if the visor hatch is open you can be killed by mg fire), checking your instruments etc..etc.. Immersion is a fundamental key of enjoyment !

- You feel the weight of the tank, you feel its speed, its power... in RO1 you basically speed up everything and traverse through everything at insane speeds lol.
Fully agree with you. Those features should be in the game not because they are realistic, but because they give much more immersion to tanking, and making the driver role less boring as well.

Reactions: jalex3
Upvote 0
YES YES YES. if anyone ahs ever driven a standart tranny its OS MUTCH FUN. it adds to teh driving expericence. its not the same old grind, and if you have ADHD like me, you cna mess with crap!!!

press W to give her gas and mabey use the scroll wheel for the clutch pedel so its not FULL ON/FULL OFF as you have to slip it a bit to get going on a hill.

if you make a mistake that would kill it in real life (dumping the clutch, resting foot on it) it should jsut slow you down for a while.

and the server should have 3 options...... either or/standard only/auto only. players using a standart should be able to accelerate faster and have a higher top end. thing is, you can always mess it up and go slow for 2 seconds.

a nice grinding noise would be sweet when you mess up, and mabey when you OWN that shift the tank "jumps" a bit. like rocks back a little.
and a nice rev up and then rev down as the clutch locks up would be cool. along with that BANG BANG BANG when you ALMOST kill it or miss a gear.

also an option to turn off the engine would be nice. in ro1 it was istant on or instant off. if you want to shoot and scoot then you leave it on with a change of fire if hit, if your in a IS2 and you cna jsut sit there and drill stuff across the map then you cna turn it off.

and if this idea delays teh game by 30-40 days, who cares, its going to make it funner and more imersive AND realistic.

i dont know how a tank shift system works. but it sounds amazing.

and to the trolls with the walking with the mosue buttons..... its possible, i have seen it before, but as you said, you can only shoot when standing still.

Upvote 0
and powered reverse and the m18 hellcat with its radial engine!!! hand crank would be harder to get into the game then standart trannys. what would immitate a hand crank motion using hte key board? hand cranks should move and have the laoder/gunner moving it with his hands.

the m18 hellcat (mabey others) used a radial engine witch had to be hand cranked over 50 times then started using the electric starter. took some time. but the hell cat was a shoot-and-scoot only tank. 76MM HVAP and light armor = TO The FLOOR, get behind/side of the tank. stop. shoot REPEAT!!

mabey it should be as simple as pressing a key, pressing a number ~= reverse 1=1st gard 2=2nd gear ETC. so teh whole key thing would be.

W, C, 1, let off C, W AKA rev it up, press clutch, shift, let off clutch slowly at same time incressing RPM.

mabey add a hint system for noobs that pops up and says press c in 3, 2, 1 PRESS. now press 1, ETC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, a manual gear shifting system for the tanks would be very sweet indeed!
On "Relaxed realism", it should be toggleable with the press of a key (auto/manual)
On "realistic", it should be mandatory (manual only)

*I wonder... can one thread turn in one direction while the other thread turns in the opposite direction on a tank, realistically? Say, if you wanted to turn on yourself without going fowards and backwards? If tanks can actually do that, it should definitely be in, and it should be really simple: press "turn left" (I'm guessing A) to turn left when not moving, and press "turn right" (D?) to turn right. As it stands in ROOst (and the Battlefield series, for that matter), you can't turn when not moving. Though of course if actual tanks can't do that, then I'm totally against it.

Upvote 0
oh noes gears are too hard *runs and hides in auto Prius*:rolleyes:

like I said in another tank thread just do shifting like it is in something like dirt2 num keys to change, or shift then num key. Don’t have things like staling and people will not find it to hard

I’m sure there will be tank training and help pop ups that you can turn off. But I don’t know about you guys I’d rather have tank controlling feel abit different than walking.

EDIT, all of this making it to hard "not accessible" bull is stupid. Most games don’t have cover, lean and many of the other infantry features of RO but I don’t see people saying they make it to complex.

Adding gears will not make this a "tank sim" just like the ability to run and crouch does not make it an infantry sim. Perhaps if you guys are so worried about having a manual then leave it auto on relaxed realism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If something like this is in, it has to be optional (like autobolting). Since you can't really simulate proper clutching, unless you have an analog pedal, I'd say go with semi-automatic - you can shift up or down, without having to deal with a clutch key.

Different gears were modeled in RO, but TWI decided to go with having an "automatic transmission" - so while the tank does shift gears, the user has no say in it.

What I'm hoping for is a better steering system. Before my pedals broke, I use to use them for analog steering of the tanks, so it wasn't full LEFT or full RIGHT. Having incremental steering was pretty handy. Maybe TWI could implement it like the incremental throttle.

Upvote 0
If something like this is in, it has to be optional (like autobolting).

I dont see why it has to be optional, its not like semi auto tranny is hard neither is clicking shoot twice.

my hope is that only relaxed realism will have those as options whats next? an auto reload option :(

if the clutch was done you could still do it just make it simple... hold shift press 2 "congrats you are now in second gear", also I want to roll down a hill with my clutch...

Upvote 0
My suggestion for a tank would be rather simple.

You turn engine on with a single button and also turn off.
Now u want to move... click "w" once and it will automaticly put gear 1 in and slowly gets the revs to normal on first gear and moves. u dont need to hold ur finger on "w" while it moves. to turn, you use "a" and "d". To get faster speed u click "w" once more and it automaticly puts in the second gear and so on. no need for complicated gear chaning and clutch.
To stop your tank u press "s" as many times to take it back to neutral gear or u hold "s" on, also it automaticly puts brake on. To reverse you do same as going forward only you press "s"

I hope you understand what i wrote as my english is not that good :D

Upvote 0

I'm BE player too*. I perfectly agree with you.

TWI has done every single centimeters of tanks, internally and externally, so it has no sense to see all these instrumentation painted but not really working, or simply driving with WASD.

I want to use a REAL tank.

Anyway, i don't like aiming the turret with mouse, as in BE, because the speed of turret it's not correlated with the speed of the mouse and this will only creates problems. I hope that we'll have the possibility to set WASD for turret traverse.

EDIT:

[OT]

*= actually i'm not playing BE. I left the game in Nov 2010 'cause Axis is too nerfed and i hate this fact (and some other problems)

[/OT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hate to burst the happy realism bubble you all have going here, but I can't see anything like this being implemented in the regular version of RO2, due to the naturally scary effect it would have on the average RO gaming population's desire to use tanks.

That said, I think they are all excellent ideas for some intrepid modders to pursue and, in fact, I think they should be pursued. I just wouldn't expect any of these things involving clutches and such to make the regular game.

Upvote 0
I dont see why it has to be optional, its not like semi auto tranny is hard neither is clicking shoot twice.

my hope is that only relaxed realism will have those as options whats next? an auto reload option :(

Agreed. I wouldn't mind this. Keeping it auto on the relaxed realism servers wouldn't scare away folks.

i have a simple idea.

1 button for engine turn on/off
Press "w" once... it automaticly puts in first gear and starts to move at speed the first gear allows... no need to hold "w" down. to go faster you press once more, puts in second gear and so on.
same with reverse.

I'd hate this, because I like being able to use incremental throttle to move at infantry speed in a CA map.

Upvote 0