• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

10 seconds to 1 minute stutter

Pneumatox

Jan 29, 2011
I have tried many solutions. Disabling, enabling, and watching the results of: precaching, mouse acceleration/reduce mouse lag, sound, etc... Tried barebones graphics (even though I run KF flawlessly at my monitor's native res with settings at max) and etc and this problem persists regardless.

Perhaps every 5 minutes or so, with no clear indicator of why or when it happens, the game, regardless of if I'm browsing servers, looking at the main screen (I don't even have to be touching the controls at all) or actually playing, completely freezes for 10-15 seconds. I can't even pull up the Steam overlay. During this time, sound from the game loops. The key I was pressing when the stutter occurs keeps being "pressed" during the stutter, often leading me into a group of angry specimens after the game recovers from the stutter.

I initially thought it was my antivirus (Avast! Antivirus) and disabled it, then tried uninstalling it, but that did not solve the problem. At Yoshiro's command, I tried deleting the System folder and redownloading it from another STEAM content server, but I still experience crashes.

DirectX diagnosis of GODZILLA-PC
http://filesmelt.com/dl/DxDiag12.txt

Temperatures are rather cool (40-50 C) under load and this doesn't happen in other games.

Log file... I was mindful to exit the game directly after one of the stutters occurred, so any warnings or errors would be easier to spot.

Warning: Failed to load 'NULL': Can't resolve package name
Warning: Failed to load 'Class None.': Can't resolve package name
ScriptLog: New Player Lumenshroom id=84159f68256957d3d67b35cb78cb770f
Log: Static mesh batches: 0 vertex bytes, 0 index bytes
Warning: KFServerBrowser Package.KFServerBrowser (Function GUI2K4.UT2k4ServerBrowser.InitComponent:0040) Accessed None 'ch_Standard'
Warning: KFServerBrowser Package.KFServerBrowser (Function GUI2K4.UT2k4ServerBrowser.InitComponent:005C) Accessed None 'ch_Standard'
Log: Resolving redorchestragame.com...
Log: Defaulting to false
ScriptLog: UT2k4Browser_ServerListPageFavorites Spawned new ServerQueryClient 'Entry.ServerQueryClient'
ScriptLog: currentplayers=0
ScriptLog: freespace=0
ScriptLog: password=false
ScriptLog: dedicated=true
ScriptLog: perks=true
ScriptLog: difficulty=2
ScriptLog: currentplayers=0
ScriptLog: freespace=0
ScriptLog: password=false
ScriptLog: dedicated=true
ScriptLog: perks=true
ScriptLog: difficulty=2
Warning: Failed to load 'NULL': Can't resolve package name
Warning: Failed to load 'Class None.none': Can't resolve package name
Log: Resolved redorchestragame.com (69.31.134.234)
Log: Allocating 94464 byte dynamic vertex buffer.
Log: Defaulting to false
Log: Allocating 96624 byte dynamic vertex buffer.
Log: appRequestExit(0)
Localization: No localization: KillingFloor.General.Exit (int)
Exit: Preparing to exit.
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Unbound to Window.dll
Log: Unbound to Core.dll
Log: Unbound to Engine.dll
Exit: Game engine shut down
Log: Unbound to WinDrv.dll
Log: POSTFX - TripPostFX::CleanUp
Exit: Windows client shut down
Log: Unbound to D3D9Drv.dll
Log: Unbound to XGame.dll
Log: Unbound to IpDrv.dll
Log: Unbound to Editor.dll
Log: Unbound to Fire.dll
Log: Unbound to ROEngine.dll
Log: Unbound to XInterface.dll
Log: Unbound to UWeb.dll
Log: (Karma): Level Karma Terminated.
Log: Unbound to ALAudio.dll
Log: Waiting for file streaming thread to finish...
Exit: OpenAL Audio subsystem shut down.
Log: Garbage: objects: 54064->0; refs: 278796
Exit: Object subsystem successfully closed.
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 283 MByte 238 KByte 1010 Bytes from HD took 0.861994 seconds (0.756994 reading, 0.105000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 0.133000 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Memory Allocation Status
Uninitialized: Curr Memory 0.246M / 4.496M
Uninitialized: Peak Memory 435.072M / 439.297M
Uninitialized: Allocs 746 Current / 2221340 Total
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 01/29/11 16:25:13

I originally bought and used Killing Floor on a very similar machine (ATI 4350 + quad core AMD processor, 8gb of DDR2 RAM), but the hard drive died so I replaced it with a new hard drive, and that's the machine I am using now. While I was installing the hard drive + windows + etc the Christmas update occurred. A Google reveals that people having the same issue report it as having started occurring after the Christmas update.

Any help, please? The game is rather unplayable in multiplayer in this state.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am still getting the issue after installing Vista SP2. I'll download updated mobo drivers + the Unreal Tournament demo tonight and try them in the morning. Downloading the single-thread process optimizer now.

Neither of those worked (mobo drivers or the single-thread process optimizer). I'll download UT 2004's demo overnight and try it in the morning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, the only other thing I can think of is to try changing your connection speed to a set speed from dynamic, or changing it to a lower speed from a higher one as I believe you mentioned you are using a wireless connection.

If this doesn't change anything, you've managed to stump the code team. And I cannot reproduce your issue locally.

(Actually one more theory which involves bad sectors on the new hard drive and KF is sitting on them. So you might also want to do a hard drive memory test chkdsk)

Upvote 0
It's certainly a bizarre problem, although it seems familiar to me. Seeing as it may happen on the main screen (where nothing is being loaded and everything just sits as it is in memory) I can only imagine it being a problem related to the CPU/GPU (although not necessarily a problem with the hardware itself). Other than rolling back various drivers to previous versions I'm not sure what to suggest.

Upvote 0
Wow. That's probably the issue. I'm using a USB Netgear wireless card, and people on the Netgear site report they have stuttering issues with games when they use USB adapters from Netgear.

Any way I can fix it? I can't find any of the aforementioned programs on Google.

Nevermind, found @ running WLAN optimizer, gonna test KF now...
Also, found a STEAM article on this happening with XP but Vista doesn't use whatever module it mentions
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7912-PGKC-5085

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tried unplugging my network card in the middle of a singleplayer game... Had no stutters at all afterward. It's definitely something to do with that. What's strange is that it does not cause stuttering in any other games, and disabling autoconfig and background network scanning in WLAN optimizer did not fix the issue.

Any insight as to why a network card would cause stuttering, even if I'm playing singleplayer/just looking at the menu? It's a Netgear WG111V2

Last edited:
Upvote 0