• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Sight Accuracy.

RainbowCakez

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2011
I was wondering if using Iron Sights makes the weapon more accurate or not? Iron Sight has always been a good action since you can actually see where you're aiming, but...

I just put a tiny piece of Glu-Tack on the crosshair of my Medigun, then continued to play, and I never had to use the iron sight for healing.
I know it's a pretty lame thing to do... but I would rather be able to Medi-dart my team members without the cost of an incredible speed decrease.

So I was wondering; Does Iron Sights increase your accuracy? I never noticed a difference before, and the Glu-tack is doing its job well. (Especially on Commando and Sharpshooter)
Do Iron Sights do anything except make you be aim at the center of the screen?

Using iron sights reduces the random spread of your guns by 50%, and feels like it's easier to control recoil, too.

At a high commando level try to spray a wall with the AK, dragging your mouse left and down to compensate for the recoil, and watch how far apart the bullets start to hit. Then reload and dump the next mag into a point on the wall with iron sights. IMO, iron sights are the only way you can possibly use the mac-10 unless there's some surprise crawler in your face (too bad the iron sights on it are bugged).

Oddly enough it's more useful for the 9mm and commando weapons than it is for the handcannon and M14. Though, after getting used to using the sights, I never really want to NOT use them.

Upvote 0
Using iron sights reduces the random spread of your guns by 50%, and feels like it's easier to control recoil, too.
Oh? This makes me want to tear the glu-tack off.
Then again, the Glu-Tack doesn't ever get in the way so.. Maybe there's no reason not to keep it. Even when using Iron Sights, if the Glu-tack is small enough it wont get in the way.
I tore mine down to the smallest I could and it fits about half the size of the Medigun's laser circle.

IMO, iron sights are the only way you can possibly use the mac-10 unless there's some surprise crawler in your face (too bad the iron sights on it are bugged).
Actually, I did really well with the Glu-tack and Mac 10. Semi-Fire, Hard mode, on Farm; I was hitting specimens without iron sights from as far as my vision could see. The only time the bullet didn't hit was on my own accord of being inaccurate.

Unless, you meant Fully Automatic- Spraying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Code:
// Calculate modifications to spread
simulated function float GetSpread()
{
    local float NewSpread;
    local float AccuracyMod;
    AccuracyMod = 1.0;
    // Spread bonus for firing aiming
    if( KFWeap.bAimingRifle )
    {
        AccuracyMod *= 0.5;
    }
    // Small spread bonus for firing crouched
    if( Instigator != none && Instigator.bIsCrouched )
    {
        AccuracyMod *= 0.85;
    }
    NumShotsInBurst += 1;
 if ( Level.TimeSeconds - LastFireTime > 0.5 )
 {
  NewSpread = Default.Spread;
  NumShotsInBurst=0;
 }
 else
    {
        // Decrease accuracy up to MaxSpread by the number of recent shots up to a max of six
        NewSpread = FMin(Default.Spread + (NumShotsInBurst * (MaxSpread/6.0)),MaxSpread);
    }
    NewSpread *= AccuracyMod;
    return NewSpread;
}

Upvote 0
Having something in the center of my screen would annoy me to no end.. after playing so much KF, crosshairs feel huge and awkward, like I'm trying to bring the target to the cross instead of bring the target into focus.

And yeah, I did mean automatic spraying. Firing a single shot with all guns should either be perfectly in the center or very, very close. Two shots together can vary wildly when jumping, running, not compensating for recoil, etc. Using iron sights is generally more important for "accurate spraying", like putting 30 rounds of the mac-10 into a husk/siren's head at distance - most shots would hit the head, or the body, very few missing totally.

Then again this is just my playstyle.. I'm sure a lot of people prefer not using iron sights.

@YoYo
Forgot to mention crouching and single shot, thanks for the proof though. I suppose the recoil thing is just in my head then.

Upvote 0
There is a reason to remove the Glu-tack: immersion. I like to pretend everything is really happening and seeing a Glu-tack on my screan would ruin that for me.
I'll clap to that. It was effective when using the Medigun's darts, but when it comes to everything else it does feel ruined :[
Code:
// Calculate modifications to spread
simulated function float GetSpread()
{
    local float NewSpread;
    local float AccuracyMod;
    AccuracyMod = 1.0;
    // Spread bonus for firing aiming
    if( KFWeap.bAimingRifle )
    {
        AccuracyMod *= 0.5;
    }
    // Small spread bonus for firing crouched
    if( Instigator != none && Instigator.bIsCrouched )
    {
        AccuracyMod *= 0.85;
    }
    NumShotsInBurst += 1;
 if ( Level.TimeSeconds - LastFireTime > 0.5 )
 {
  NewSpread = Default.Spread;
  NumShotsInBurst=0;
 }
 else
    {
        // Decrease accuracy up to MaxSpread by the number of recent shots up to a max of six
        NewSpread = FMin(Default.Spread + (NumShotsInBurst * (MaxSpread/6.0)),MaxSpread);
    }
    NewSpread *= AccuracyMod;
    return NewSpread;
}
I have no clue what I'm reading sorry.

Upvote 0
I'll clap to that. It was effective when using the Medigun's darts, but when it comes to everything else it does feel ruined :[

I have no clue what I'm reading sorry.

Code from the game, basically saying that the game checks to see if you're aiming with iron sights. If yes, spread is reduced by 50%. If crouched, 15%, and the same with single shot mode. However I've heard these bonuses don't stack too much, meaning all three things together would only be something like ~60%. Still, iron sights on their own make you twice as accurate, so usually crouching isn't needed. However if you don't want to use sights, those other two methods sort of help.

Upvote 0
Lol you also get 15% less spread when firing in semi automatic. Oh and when you fire it starts out with the original spread and reduced by those modifiers, as you keep firing the spread increases until it goes up to the MaxSpread and it can't go higher than that.

Code:
class KFFire extends InstantFire
abstract;

// Accuracy vars
var() float MaxSpread; // The maximum spread this weapon will ever have (like when firing in long bursts, etc)
var int NumShotsInBurst; // How many shots fired recently

// Accuracy update based on pawn velocity
simulated function AccuracyUpdate(float Velocity)
{
if (KFWeapon(Weapon).bSteadyAim)
return;
if (Pawn(Weapon.Owner).bIsCrouched)
Velocity *= 0.6;
AimError = ((default.AimError * 0.75) + (Velocity * 4 )); //2
Spread = ((default.Spread * 0.75) + (Velocity * 0.0010 )); //.0005
}

defaultproperties
{
Spread=0.0085 //Example taken from BullpupFire, this is the current spread when we start firing and will increase its way up to the maxspread over a timespan of 6 continuous shots.
MaxSpread=0.12
}

BTW bWaitForRelease means the gun is firing in semi-automatic. In waits for the operator of the gun to release his trigger which when done will allow him to fire again after the next firing time has elapsed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does Semi Automatic and Iron Sights stack?

I suppose I wont keep the Glu-tack... 50% less spread is worth the lack of a crosshair, and adds to something no other games really have. Not to mention; You eventually develop a mental crosshair anyway.

Yes all the spread bonuses stack. And I also gained my mental crosshair a whiiiilago.

Reactions: RainbowCakez
Upvote 0
Yes all the spread bonuses stack. And I also gained my mental crosshair a whiiiilago.
That... that's very clever of Tripwire to do.
Commandos crouch in front, using Iron sights (And semi-fire, if they want.) while the Sharpshooter can stay standing from behind, considering they already acquire a great accuracy bonus...

I suddenly feel as if this game got a lot deeper in thought, strategy and the likes than just "Stick together; X vs Y is best; Heal."

More specifically, if I'd known this I could've told that damn Commando today to crouch so I could actually shoot over him!!

Thanks for the information YoYo~

Upvote 0
Honestly it's really awkward to play as sharpshooter or commando and crouch for anything, the bonuses are minimal from crouching and don't really help when you have to massively adjust your aim for all the human sized specimens (so, everything but crawlers). I'd rather use the sights while standing and spray all the heads in a group than aim up/hit the body.

Plus, crawlers can be slightly bigger targets while standing, since you can hit their head AND backs. The only time I ever crouch is for the convenience of sharpshooters and demos, slashing a crawler as zerker, or firing down a looong hallway, such as the end of the spawn in Biotics Lab.

Upvote 0
Honestly it's really awkward to play as sharpshooter or commando and crouch for anything, the bonuses are minimal from crouching and don't really help when you have to massively adjust your aim for all the human sized specimens (so, everything but crawlers). I'd rather use the sights while standing and spray all the heads in a group than aim up/hit the body.

Plus, crawlers can be slightly bigger targets while standing, since you can hit their head AND backs. The only time I ever crouch is for the convenience of sharpshooters and demos, slashing a crawler as zerker, or firing down a looong hallway, such as the end of the spawn in Biotics Lab.
I'd agree if the player doesn't have someone behind them trying to aim over them.

Sooner or later you're going to have to duck for someone, so it's probably a good idea to learn how to hit the heads from crouching.

I was a Sharpshooter in Offices and everyone decided to go to the Trader's doors closest to the spawn; Weld the back door, and pretty much sit in front of the red room.
I stood at the back with my crossbow, and I could hardly hit any Scrakes or anything because no one would duck for me. The extra less spread may not be that much, but it assists your team in more ways than imaginable.

I also can't tell how many times I've tried to Medi-dart someone in the front row but could never hit him -_-;;

Upvote 0