• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What in HOS are you most worried about?

I'd like to add something to my list:

Too many "SS ultrah realizum gais" that just stroll around yelling HAIL HITLAH! and have to tell everybody how much superior the Tiger 1 was to anything else.

Although I agree. It wasn't just fromm SS units. The soviet realism units had their fair share of people along those lines too.

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
2. The heroes/rank system.

Now this is one of the odd features that Im actually interested in. There's nothing unrealistic about it, provided its a modest implementation. In theroy when you play RO, you are still essentially controlling an avatar, as the weapon sway, stamina, etc is all native to your character; and as such, you have to fight with those impedances.

It makes sense (at least to me) that if you have played RO2 for years, that you should get something to show for it, such as better overall morale, slightly reduced weapon sway, marginally faster bolting and reloading.

My only worry would be that it's too easy to "level up" and as such sooner or later everybody will be running around with their gruff neck-beards and war medals with no rookies in sight. I think it should literally take you months and months, if not years of playing frequently before you get those distinguishing attributes and earned innate skills, so seeing an "RO:2 veteran" would actually be a novel sight instead of just an average experience... People who play the game frequently for a long period of time should get those distinguishments.

Rather than a short-term gimmick like perks in call of duty, it should be a long term achievement that you earn after a very long period of time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As long as tripwire keeps the scoreboard of how it is in ostfront then people going for kills rather then objectives wouldn't be a problem as the guy who goes for the objectives is going to be near the top of the board then the guy who has the most kills, even if someone focuses more on kills then will be near the bottom, which would pretty much force them to give MGs ammo and take objectives if they want to get near the top.

That would work 100% as I came from Battlefield and CoD a while ago and since i had the effects of wanting to be at the top of the scoreboard when i first started, I always went out of my way to re supply an MG and try to take caps, then it eventually grows on you until it becomes the standard thing to do.
What you just described is the worst part of RO. Do nothing but still get a lot of points.
It gives people a justification to camp in the deepest corner of the cap while others do the important and real work - killing the guys trying to stop the cap or clearing the cap in general.

Just for that purpose I made a gametype showing Kill/Death Ratio on the scoreboard. Another major feature of the gametype is disabling 5 points for MG resupply.
Was funny to see the 1/15 guys saying on public servers that they like the old scoreboard more :troll:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What you just described is the worst part of RO. Do nothing but still get a lot of points.
It gives people a justification to camp in the deepest corner of the cap while others do the important and real work - killing the guys trying to stop the cap or clearing the cap in general.

Just for that purpose I made a gametype showing Kill/Death Ratio on the scoreboard. Another major feature of the gametype is disabling 10 points for MG resupply.
Was funny to see the 1/15 guys saying on public servers that they like the old scoreboard more :D

Well it varies from person to person, I don't go to the farthest corner to the cap and just stay there, Most of the time I stay back to make sure no one goes to the guys capping and kills them, and even though your gametype disables the 10 points which sounds cool, we are talking about new comers and people coming from CoD who as I said want to get the most points, they might just ignore the MG or the guy that needs his panzershreck reloaded if there is no advantage in their eyes for them to do so, so you have to encourage them.

Also this is better then them just camping somewhere far away trying to rack up kills when they can actually help by reloading MGs and taking caps. After doing that for awhile they will get the hang of the game and take out the guys stopping the cap. It will gradually get to them.

Upvote 0

I don't see it.
The fact that people want the caps forces them to "do the work" doesn't it? You can't get the 10 points if you aren't in the capzone.
I like the RO scoring system (if you have to have a scoring system...apart from MG resupplies) - and I like that whilst part of the team are capping, part of the team (like bobsynergy) are covering the capzone from behind, as usually when you are in the capzone you are in cover with limited visibility so the cover is very important.

You're always going to get more attack minded players but it takes a few types of player to make the best squad.

I hope RO's scoreboard is different though, would really like no scoreboard what-so-ever until the end of the round or something.

Reactions: Fedorov
Upvote 0
I'm just worried about the CoD/casual players complaining about the game being "too realistic".

- Why are the maps so big?
- Why can't I dominate the entire enemy team by myself?
- Why do we have to use teamwork?
- Why do the weapons have recoil?

etcetc, you get my drift. I'm sure we'll have a huge amount of posts like these, but I'm mostly worried if the developers will actually listen to crybabies like these, thus dumbing it down(probably won't happen, but you never know).

Upvote 0
I don't see it.
The fact that people want the caps forces them to "do the work" doesn't it? You can't get the 10 points if you aren't in the capzone.
I like the RO scoring system (if you have to have a scoring system...apart from MG resupplies) - and I like that whilst part of the team are capping, part of the team (like bobsynergy) are covering the capzone from behind, as usually when you are in the capzone you are in cover with limited visibility so the cover is very important.

You're always going to get more attack minded players but it takes a few types of player to make the best squad.

I hope RO's scoreboard is different though, would really like no scoreboard what-so-ever until the end of the round or something.

Well, the averange dude just runs into the cap and goes prone behind the first cover they find. In most cases you can't cap it like that.
Simple formula, no kills no cap. On the defending side it's "no kills, lose cap" :) However you try to twist it, RO still is all about making kills, like most fps.

Upvote 0
The score board mod that Shreq made should definitely be included in HOS. Because Shreq likes comparisons, it would be like someone sitting around on the job till it's all done, and then claiming that they did all the work. :p
Exactly :D

At the end I agree some reward for capping is needed. It's just that it is too much of a reward compared to kills, which is the most important thing in an fps imo.
tbh I like rewards which pop up like in BC2 or Cod. even Natural Selection 2 got this now :) So my Idea would be something like "+5 capzone kill". Now go and flame me :troll:

Upvote 0
nah thats fine, it was something i was thinking about too.

The thing is...people just dont come and resupply you ( on pubbys mind you ) if they dont get their 5 points even if that means that the guy that kills x5 of what they could archive is left in the cold without any ammo.

I cant count the times i was typing into the ****ing chat AMMMMMOO FFS and see masses of enemy blobs going thorwards the cap. Goes so far that i have to leave a perfect position and run to our spawnzone to get the attention from people to get me new pewpews...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about an incrementation of your movement speed after you gave ammo to someone instead of a point reward? Another thing would be to lock yourself from receiving ammo. Nothing sucks more than 5 point whores who step on you, expose your position or block your view.

Actually it would already help if an MG gunner could only receive ammo once with his initial belt/drum amount. Edit: That is falling under the point, that I'm worried HoS will be as buggy as Ostfront --> German MG's can be resupplied endlessly.

Btw. I just received Johnny on the spot bronze some months ago. I was quite angry when that achievement message popped up D:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, the averange dude just runs into the cap and goes prone behind the first cover they find. In most cases you can't cap it like that.
Simple formula, no kills no cap. On the defending side it's "no kills, lose cap" :) However you try to twist it, RO still is all about making kills, like most fps.

I don't see that as the case. Just because some players might hide certainly doesn't mean that all players do. In fact I find most do fight in the capzone.

Also, just because you don't get a kill while in the capzone doesn't mean they aren't contributing. You can be firing or denying the enemy entry into the objective.

And finally, RO is not all about making the kills, that is part of the appeal of the game :D

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
Now this is one of the odd features that Im actually interested in. There's nothing unrealistic about it, provided its a modest implementation. In theroy when you play RO, you are still essentially controlling an avatar, as the weapon sway, stamina, etc is all native to your character; and as such, you have to fight with those impedances.

It makes sense (at least to me) that if you have played RO2 for years, that you should get something to show for it, such as better overall morale, slightly reduced weapon sway, marginally faster bolting and reloading.

My only worry would be that it's too easy to "level up" and as such sooner or later everybody will be running around with their gruff neck-beards and war medals with no rookies in sight. I think it should literally take you months and months, if not years of playing frequently before you get those distinguishing attributes and earned innate skills, so seeing an "RO:2 veteran" would actually be a novel sight instead of just an average experience... People who play the game frequently for a long period of time should get those distinguishments.

Rather than a short-term gimmick like perks in call of duty, it should be a long term achievement that you earn after a very long period of time.

I don't even think the "hero" should be a rank, I think it should be a class, 1 on every team.

Upvote 0
the hiding is an issue with the cap system in my opinion not with a score system.

If someone is hiding in the capzone in the real world he wouldn't contribute towards capturing that objective. It only happens in RO because its all about mashing as many people into a designated area till the cap bar moves in favour.

Which is why I'm personally hoping for an area based capzone where to capture you need to actually gain ground. And with an area influence based capzone you can see every persons individual influence and use that.

As i've said in the past, as long as dying doesn't really affect the outcome of a match. I don't think it should be a key factorization. Kill/Death ratio's only bear a real meaning of skill if there is a serious disadvantage to dying, if you get back in a few seconds then dying doesnt matter much. So any death factorization in score would only be to encourage people to stay a live but its not really a showcase of skill in that sense.

Kills/Minute or how quick someone is killing enemies in a respawn gametype is much more important for obtaining a victory. People with a high kill death ratio but a low kill/minute ratio are in my opinion pretty useless.

Its great if you've got a 10;1 K/D ratio but someone that made 20 kills and died 10 times is more valuable to me unless dying plays a more important role in the game. As kills divided by deaths factorizes out importance of the quantity or speed of someone's kills.

So i can understand K/D in countdown, but for territory if K/D is to be used it should be factorized together with a Kills/Hour or Kills/Minute ratio.

Upvote 0