• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do I smell something burning?

you know, I own a copy of RO. I havent played it all that much and haven't found myself enjoying it enough (although I do appreciate how well it's made. I'm just not a fan of PVP) but I actually really like the look of RO2! Especially the pacific mod.

The russian front is not my kind of setting but I also like how it looks for RO2 as well! RO2 looks like one unique FPS. It's gonna give us all something we havent had before and hell, I'm definitley picking up a copy of RO2 when it comes out! :)

Upvote 0
This --->
fireball.jpg

He havent said anything about my meteorite :)

Upvote 0
Demo have the same problem, but whenever you toss a frag, you get demo points, so you can get a head start. You cannot do that as a firebug.
You can at level... 3? when your hand grenades actually set stuff on fire.

That would actually work. Should make it in-game weight 4. Fire damage so it scale with firebug perk and count towards perk requirements, let it do insane extra damage to fleshpounds and have the ability to chain stun scrakes - but should not be very good against anything else.

Upvote 0
On early firebugs:

You can at level... 3? when your hand grenades actually set stuff on fire.

Yes, but starting out at lvl 0 is a long way from lvl 3. When you buy a flamethrower, you cannot have a primary weapon and use the flamer for the extra damage. You have to go all out, and that is not very efficient.

The other classes do easily get a bit of levelling before you start:
Berserker: Knifing in the first round to conserve ammo
Sharpshooter: Headshots with 9mm made up for most of my early ss levels
Medic: You heal people. All the time.
Support and Commando: Both pump shotguns and bullpups are findable, and cheap to buy.
Demo: The M79 is a good backup weapon for most classes, getting rid of clot packs at long range, and everyone buy pipe bombs in later waves. Demo is almost as bad as firebug when you do not have a class of high perk to level it with, but as I said you still get frag granade damage.

None of these options are available for a firebug. Thus i think that a low efficiency, low price weapon would be a good balancer.
(incidentially, I just moved on to firebug some two weeks ago)

Upvote 0
...None of these options are available for a firebug. Thus i think that a low efficiency, low price weapon would be a good balancer.
(incidentially, I just moved on to firebug some two weeks ago)
Firebug possible level fastest of any perk once they do get their hands on a flamethrower (or two-three flamethrowers as the case might be when you level up as you want to deal as much damage as possible for perk requirements and you have a bit limited amount of ammo in each canister).

What firebug need to be viable on their own (it is already one of the best team perks) is a 4kg piece of equipment to deal with fleshpounds and scrakes (that or make flamethrower weight 4kg so they can equip a 10kg crossbow for later waves).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Firebug possible level fastest of any perk once they do get their hands on a flamethrower (or two-three flamethrowers as the case might be when you level up as you want to deal as much damage as possible for perk requirements and you have a bit limited amount of ammo in each canister).

What firebug need to be viable on their own (it is already one of the best team perks) is a 4kg piece of equipment to deal with fleshpounds and scrakes (that or make flamethrower weight 4kg so they can equip a 10kg crossbow for later waves).

Urgh. Why does everyone think that each class needs the ability to solo every specimen?

Upvote 0

That's all fine and dandy, except firebugs weren't really made to "solo." I know where you're coming from, and I've seen most of the arguments for/against the firebug, but still. All they need is more stuff to burn, and more stuff to burn that stuff. A little fire's not gonna be able to "deal" with 3 raging fp's.

Upvote 0
Urgh. Why does everyone think that each class needs the ability to solo every specimen?
Because all classes used to have more or less efficient ways to deal with all zeds in the game at one point.

FP didn't auto enrage after a period of time, but they did enrage if you caused more than 320 damage over two seconds. This let firebugs set them on fire and kite them until they died from the DoT.

FP could be decapitated at melee range when he was preforming his melee attack - but hard to time unless you had a weapon with a really high enough rate of fire to hit when he was vulnerable - but at the same time low enough damage per second to not enrage him (which would probably kill you at suicidal). This let berserkers decapitate a full health FP with chainsaw primary attack and commando with Bullpup full auto.

Since then they made FP auto rage after awhile (which made it impossible to kite a FP with a firebug) and they made it impossible to decapitate a full health FP at melee range with chainsaw primary attack or bullpup (but they also made crossbow headshots a lot more powerful so berserkers can now equip katana and use a sharpshooter weapon, the crossbow, to decapitate FP - Commando are still fubar though).

So in the name of balance either give Firebugs (and Commando) a way to deal with FPs and Scrakes OR give Sharpshooters a vulnerability so they can not handle all situations solo (for example, before M14EBR, sharpshooters had limited ammo and was "vulnerable" when faced with swarms of lesser zeds on their own - i personally liked that, but i can't see developers removing content thats been in the game for quite some time now just to balance the perk against firebugs. It they can't nerf sharpshooters they have to boost firebugs/commandos or in some other way change FPs to make them vulnerable to firebugs/commandos).

Upvote 0
Because all classes used to have more or less efficient ways to deal with all zeds in the game at one point.

Since then they made FP auto rage after awhile (which made it impossible to kite a FP with a firebug) and they made it impossible to decapitate a full health FP at melee range with chainsaw primary attack or bullpup (but they also made crossbow headshots a lot more powerful so berserkers can now equip katana and use a sharpshooter weapon, the crossbow, to decapitate FP - Commando are still fubar though).

So in the name of balance either give Firebugs (and Commando) a way to deal with FPs and Scrakes OR give Sharpshooters a vulnerability so they can not handle all situations solo (for example, before M14EBR, sharpshooters had limited ammo and was "vulnerable" when faced with swarms of lesser zeds on their own - i personally liked that, but i can't see developers removing content thats been in the game for quite some time now just to balance the perk against firebugs. It they can't nerf sharpshooters they have to boost firebugs/commandos or in some other way change FPs to make them vulnerable to firebugs/commandos).

Both of the ways you mentioned were not really meant to be in the game, hence the patch removing those abilities and making the FP enrage after a period of time so he couldn't be kited to infinity. I'm glad they did this.

Balancing != making every class able to kite/handle every specimen on their own. I'm a level 6 Commando and I wouldn't want to be able to handle FPs by myself. If every class could do this it would cease to be a co-op game and more of a "run around separately killing stuff" game. That is not the nature of KF.

Upvote 0
I don't think there should be any particular (reasonable) scenario that any perk cannot handle at all. Handle badly, perhaps, but not be completely hopeless. Apart from anything else, the hard counter approach to balance restricts team formation (how well does a team without Sharpshooters perform in Suicidal in today's KF?) and, when combined with the random spawns, can take the game's outcome somewhat out of the players' hands. I'm all for each perk and equipment combination having strengths and weaknesses, but I firmly believe that skill should be able to partially alleviate those weaknesses (as well as being required to fully realise the strengths).

The Flesh Pound is the perfect example of hard counters gone wrong: they're a joke if you use their weaknesses against them, and a nightmare otherwise. Or, to put it another way, there are a select few ways to deal with them that are a lot easier and more effective than they should be, whereas every other method is terrible. The overdose of hard counter balancing (mostly in the form of enormous damage modifiers in either direction) means that there is nothing in between.

As long as hard counters continue to be used as a band-aid solution to Killing Floor's balance issues, no real progress will be made. I hope the team responsible for the upcoming patch has come to the same realisation.

Upvote 0