• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supersonic bullet cracks in RO2:HOS?

Well from what I read most of the RO guys that post in this forum section are against DHs suppression system

Then you read wrong. Most people hate the suppression system because it messes up their aim, saying it takes away control from them. It's not the sonic bulletcrack that bothers them, that is just a sound. Which is totally authentic, realistic and therefore should be in the game.

Many people praise TWI for the fact that their weapons feel like real guns when they fire them.
Now it's time for people to have that experience at the other end of that gun.

Upvote 0
Then you read wrong. Most people hate the suppression system because it messes up their aim, saying it takes away control from them. It's not the sonic bulletcrack that bothers them, that is just a sound. Which is totally authentic, realistic and therefore should be in the game.
I think you read wrong, you quote my statement that people here rather dislike DHs system(which is a fact as the poll shows) and then you say that people DO hate it, for reasons I wasn't even talking about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The louder the better. I got an ear to ear grin when I first tested my 7.1 speakers on Hedgehog and rushed through an arty barrage with the volume nearly maxed. Shook the house to the foundation. I tried the MG-42 after that but not for too long out of fear my ears would start bleeding.

So yes, HoS needs the supersonic snap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The louder the better. I got an ear to ear grin when I first tested my 7.1 speakers on Hedgehog and rushed through an arty barrage with the volume nearly maxed. Shook the house to the foundation. I tried the MG-42 after that but not for too long out of fear my ears would start bleeding.

So yes, HoS needs the supersonic snap.

loudness isn't the universal measure of realism/authenticity. don't get that mixed up. i know how hollywood likes to confuse people.

Upvote 0
After having played ARMA 2 CO ACE + Jarheads sound pack. yes, oh my bloody bleeding ears yes to all and any bullet cracking / snapping. It feels very good, and it also lets you identify how close a bullet passed to you ( bullets that pass further away do not produce a snap to your ears ). beyond the immersion / realism aspects, it also has the SIDE EFFECT of suppression, you want to get down when you start hearing the cracking.

As an aside I also like the actual suppression effect that the game uses for the AI and Players. Getting shot at by large quantities of ammo increases your weapon sway slightly ( increased heart rate, it makes sense). This actually adds credence to using a machinegun to hammer a position where some enemies are hiding, even if you can or cannot hit them, urinating 5.56 rounds over their heads means any shots they do manage to squeeze off will be inaccurate for good reasons. The DH system was a good stab at a suppression system, but IMO went too far, someone who has never been shot at before might twitch when shot at, but that's an effect that would quickly wear off, besides also being very annoying.

Upvote 0
Go fire an MG-42 without hearing protection.

Yeah, let's make the guns sound as loud as they are IRL. Yay hearing damage.

There is a difference between game sounds that ARE loud and game sounds that SOUND loud.

Example: ACE for ArmA 2 has a 'ringing ears' sound when an explosion happens near the player, which sounds terrible because it's an actual loud ringing sound that is annoying and hurts the ears. Then there's the way BFBC2 does it: you get a sound of 'overpressure' and then all sounds are muffled and lowered in volume for a while. That's obviously the right way to do it.

It's important to make the guns in RO2 sound loud, while not actually being loud. TWI has always done a good job in that department (example: the STG-44 sound in the mod and the rifles in RO:O), but other games and mods have caught up RO's gun sounds since 2006.

Upvote 0
Y
Example: ACE for ArmA 2 has a 'ringing ears' sound when an explosion happens near the player, which sounds terrible because it's an actual loud ringing sound that is annoying and hurts the ears. Then there's the way BFBC2 does it: you get a sound of 'overpressure' and then all sounds are muffled and lowered in volume for a while. That's obviously the right way to
You have earplugs Soldier!

Use them!

Upvote 0