• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad system.

LtCarman

May 9, 2011
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I have a few questions regarding the squad system. I'm new to this series, so please bear with me. I did do a search but only managed to find this.

1. How exactly is the squad system set up? It is similar to how BF2 handled it?
2. What can the squad leader do? Can he legitimately command a squad or is it just a title? If he can command a squad, how in-depth are the commands? Is it just a simple "move to objective A" like in BC2 or is it like BF2 where you have move choices regarding orders?

I realize that not much has been said about the squad system in RO2 specifically, but having never played RO:Ost, I don't know how the squad system worked there either and I can't imagine that it would be drastically different in RO2.

Again, I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions or if this has already been posted before.

Reactions: Game-Enthousiast
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I have a few questions regarding the squad system. I'm new to this series, so please bear with me. I did do a search but only managed to find this.

1. How exactly is the squad system set up? It is similar to how BF2 handled it?

I believe that it is said that they take ideas from BF2, but unlike you spawn right on top of your leader, you spawn in a safe location so you aren't popping up next to an enemy.

2. What can the squad leader do?

The Squad leader can direct their fire teams. For example; they can put a rally point on the map without looking at the map which directs the fire team(s) selected to move to the chosen location.
And I do believe they get a capturing rate bonus.

Can he legitimately command a squad or is it just a title?

The Squad leader cannot force their fire teams to move, only direct. Is it just a title? Not really.
But there is a Commander role, he is the main support I believe. Support as in calling in recon planes and artillery aswell as advising the forces to attack and defend locations.

If he can command a squad, how in-depth are the commands? Is it just a simple "move to objective A" like in BC2 or is it like BF2 where you have move choices regarding orders?

It's more of find the location you want your Fire teams to move and click so they get a rally point to go to. Only AI will do it without question. And there are commands to say, all troops attack Objective B.

I realize that not much has been said about the squad system in RO2 specifically, but having never played RO:Ost, I don't know how the squad system worked there either and I can't imagine that it would be drastically different in RO2.

In RO:Ost, it was simple, Squad Leader was to go and provide that extra capture bonus, lead the charge, aswell as deploy smoke. Now when put to action it's not as simple.

Again, I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions or if this has already been posted before.

No worries, you got questions and we might have answers.:D

All information is from what I have seen, if any are wrong I appologise and will correct them. I may have said the same thing twice....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great conclusion Chadwick!!! If they manage to get it as you described it, woohooo!!! The Bf2 mechanics were still some of the best in my opinion. If they get "them" kind of adapted to a WW2 scenario, I will probably quit playing any other games for a long time. (Despite having been pessimistic about some features like the recon plane in the first place)

Upvote 0
And I asked this in some other threads, but got no answers.
How do you join a specific squad? If for example you have friends in one of the squads can you join that specific squad? Or you just chose a role and you get assigned to a random squad?

In multiplayer, you will either be able to select by role and get placed in a random squad - or select by squad and play with your friend(s).

Upvote 0
Can a SL boot a guy from his squad like in BF:pR? That would be great if you get someone who refuses to cooperate in the slightest.

Also being able to vote for your SL would be nice. At the end of a map for example, as the next map loaded, you could vote to continue "player x" as SL.

Upvote 0
In regards to how squadleaders command their squad:

I remember John Gibson saying on a Crosshairs cast that SLs can actually tell members to do general things such as "Defend this location" or "Attack this location," or very specific things like "cover this window" or "go here and hold position" -- both of which can be given via a detailed radial/squad command menu. Gibson said that members of the squad then get "teamplay points" for doing what their squadleader ordered.

It all sounds awesome to me. In RO1 the squad leader did not have enough importance on the battlefield, and was only useful for throwing smoke and dropping arty -- not actually commanding his squad.

Upvote 0
Can a SL boot a guy from his squad like in BF:pR? That would be great if you get someone who refuses to cooperate in the slightest.

Also being able to vote for your SL would be nice. At the end of a map for example, as the next map loaded, you could vote to continue "player x" as SL.

The opposite would be great as well. Some games get ruined by SLs only choosing the slot for the weapon, or the SL just being an ***. A squad kick vote could do the trick.

Upvote 0
Will there be different types of squads, like sniper-spotter pairs, engineer squads etc, or will it be a case of each squad having several specific roles like designated rifleman, designated machinegunner and so on?

Squads are (mainly) squads - but their composition can vary to include rifle team, assault team, engineer team, MG team etc. Sniper "team" is usually independent...

Upvote 0