• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Obsidian-Beta (Mission Map)

Lets get back on track with this thread please!

Fel and I would like to get this map submitted to the whitelist asap, but need to know if there are any glitches or problems that players encounter when playing it. If anyone encounters any game crashes while playing please post it so we can try and solve it before we release the final version. If there aren't any posts, we will assume all is fine and release the final version soon.

Upvote 0
All greetings.
First of all I want to tell that map the magnificent.
Beautiful, good structures, an environment.
Serious work.
But is to steam of minuses.
1) At occurrence in the first location, near a beacon, monsters are groundless near a rock.
2) We have reached the rocket, have stopped start.
But here again a trouble. Have approached to boats. Took canisters. The marker specifies that is necessary is risen on the top of the rocket. Only nobody has understood as: (Tell please.
Forgive for English, I use promt translator:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But it keep crashing our Storymapserver, as we try to start it up. (Same to KF-Perdition-Campaign, it crashes too =/ ) (Maybe I can grab the errorlog for you)

Please post the error log so we can help you out. I suspect that it is a misplaced file as this level has not produced any game crashes similar to the ones from KF-Road to Perdition that I am aware of.

Upvote 0
Heres the Crashlog as i tried to change maps to Obsidian:

Server switch level: KF-Obsidian-Beta-B3?game=KFMod.KFGameType?mutator=
Browse: KF-Obsidian-Beta-B3?Name=KFPlayer?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Corporal_Lewis?team=1?Sex=M?game=KFMod.KFGameType?VACSecured=true?MaxPlayers=6?mutator=
Socket shut down
Collecting garbage
Purging garbage
(Karma): Level Karma Terminated.
Garbage: objects: 82095->73717; refs: 1086306
Game class is 'KFGameType'
Bringing Level KF-Obsidian-Beta-B3.myLevel up for play (30) appSeconds: 30050.185636...
Loading Admins & Groups
Kick and Ban Privileges Loaded
Maps & Game Privileges Loaded
Admins & Groups Management Loaded
Extra Privileges Loaded
GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
KFLRules = KF-Obsidian-Beta-B3.KFLevelRules
Game length = 2
UdpServerQuery(crt): Port XXXXXX successfully bound.
Resolving master0.gamespy.com...
Defaulting to false
Defaulting to false
Loading Available Maps
Loading Game Types
XWebAdmin.UTServerAdmin Initialized on port XXXX
[~] ServerAdsSE WebAdmin loaded
Resolving tripwireinteractive.com...
[~] Starting ServerAdsSE version: 102
[~] Michiel 'El Muerte' Hendriks - [email protected]
[~] The Drunk Snipers - http://www.drunksnipers.com
[~] There are 10 lines in the list
Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]
Aborting.

Crash information will be saved to your logfile.

Developer Backtrace:
[ 1] ./31646_kf [0x8669027]
[ 2] [0xffffe400]
[ 3] ./31646_kf [0x812524f]
[ 4] ./31646_kf [0x8126173]
[ 5] ./31646_kf [0x8126a51]
[ 6] ./31646_kf [0x81f672c]
[ 7] ./31646_kf [0x81c91ce]
[ 8] ./31646_kf [0x81aed81]
[ 9] ./31646_kf [0x81b9e76]
[10] ./31646_kf [0x81677a4]
[11] ./31646_kf [0x804d688]
[12] /lib32/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe5) [0xf7c9042d]
[13] ./31646_kf [0x804b0e1]
Unreal Call Stack: FWaveModInfo::ReadWaveInfo <- callingGetPerioid <- 1 <- FSoundData::Load <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ServerTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- UServerCommandlet::Main
Exiting.
FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 306 MByte 603 KByte 586 Bytes from HD took 0.991267 seconds (0.562531 reading, 0.428737 seeking).
FileManager: 0.000000 seconds spent with misc. duties
Name subsystem shut down
Allocation checking disabled

ya Perdition-Campain creshes Killingfloor locally. Not the Server. It crashes when you spawn. First with a warning that your virtual Memory runs out (i raised the virtual mem to 6GB now, it helped) but its still crashing with another error. (Textrue draw failure, or some sort)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
we know perdition still crashes :( have no idea what to do about that one.

This one (Obsidian) i do believe the chaingun will sometimes crash you upon map switch

Code:
Server switch level: KF-Obsidian-Beta-B3?game=KFMod.KFGameType?mutator=
Browse: KF-Obsidian-Beta-B3?Name=KFPlayer?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Corpo ral_Lewis?team=1?Sex=M?game=KFMod.KFGameType?VACSe cured=true?MaxPlayers=6?mutator=
Socket shut down
Collecting garbage

This is where it crashed

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this is also a good map i love the the hacking parts very unique =) also i very much enjoy the way the map progresses. in damnations and perdition it's ok but in this map it's very nice. as you progress you get nice beach->base-defence/hacking->inside pwnage/hacking->awesome "keep moving!! their coming at us too fast!!!" long bridge pwnage->long elevator down to hell it's self scary scene->"make your choice"/"HURRY!" story stuff-> unknown stuffs->more unknown stuffs

well it's less of unknown stuffs and more like not telling stuffs lol! point being the level has a wide variety of theme's and awesome level interactions that even some AAA quality games don't even have in their levels. you simply can not get bored playing this level. it's perfect for ADHD/ADD afflicted folks like myself lol =D

i know i didn't show it in the play testing you've invited me to do but i am actually very impressed with this level fel and S281 this is an excellent piece of work you guys have made =D altho that troopers level is stil my fav only because i have a very soft spot for defend-the-base/"Defend! or we all Die!!!!' type gameplay

Last edited:
Reactions: Fel
Upvote 0
Alright firstly, I really love the feel of this map. The style and open areas of the first part reminds me of the original Far Cry, which is a good thing. I love the vastness of this map, it's hard to believe it's for this game when you consider the size of the average map. The objectives are fairly interesting, and the challenge of having to hold off hordes of enemies while completing said objectives is fun.

Issues:

• I noticed on my first playthrough that when I ran back from the generator to the start area, a boulder would fall down, almost blocking my path. I continued to the artillery, to give me some space to kill the enemies that were following me, and when I went back towards the generator area the whole path was blocked off (more boulders) and I could walk mostly through said boulders until eventually I got stuck.
  • When filling the generator I could just keep picking up the can near the sandbags, is this intentional?
  • The way you have to wait for the round to start for a door/gate to open is rather annoying, and not very intuitive (I was standing around wondering what to do on a couple of occasions).
  • As with the other mission map I'm playing (road to perdition) the specimen/trader clock does some weird things. For example at the start it does its regular countdown and the "next wave inbound" message appears. After which the specimen counter stays at a fixed amount and nothing spawns. I realise this is intended but it's still bizarre.
  • It seems (although I'm unsure) that sometimes the simultaneous specimen count is rather high, although that might just be down to me not being used to seeing a full swarm of them at one time.

Suggestions:

• I'd suggest removing or replacing the glow of the pickups with something more subtle, since the current effect detracts from the overall feel of the map.
  • Similar to the above suggestion, I'd remove the 'objective' mesh you're using and give the whole objective-related mesh (ie. generator, gas cans) a subtle glow which disappears when the objective has been completed.
  • Not sure if it's possible without altering the collision properties of existing actors, but I feel the weapon pickups could be placed at more natural angles. Along with removing (or altering) the glow it'd make a big difference to me.
  • There are too many weapons and too much ammo! At least, when playing solo. I'm not sure if the amount of specimens scales to players, but if so it might be worth adjusting the weapon spawning to depend on how many players there are. Again, removing the obvious glow on the weapon pickups would make them stand out more, meaning you could hide the weapons better and it wouldn't seem like there are so many.
  • More interactivity with the map. For this I'd suggest some karma objects, as well as the addition of explosive barrels and canisters. In addition to making certain areas more interesting, it'll give the players the opportunity to use the environment to their benefit.
  • Something interesting in the areas you travel where there isn't much to do (for example, between the player spawn and the generator area). Hiding some specific ammo pickups might be nice, as well as the addition of traps (arrow traps, trip wires, etc). I'd also suggest adding some fauna, although I realise this would be a lot of work.

Overall I really like what you guys have done with this, and I hope you keep it up!

I'm quite tied up with current projects right now, but I'd really like to contribute some coding help here and there for this map if you guys are interested.

Upvote 0
Thanks Benjamin for the detailed critique.

I noticed on my first playthrough that when I ran back from the generator to the start area, a boulder would fall down, almost blocking my path. I continued to the artillery, to give me some space to kill the enemies that were following me, and when I went back towards the generator area the whole path was blocked off (more boulders) and I could walk mostly through said boulders until eventually I got stuck.
That is to prevent players from doing what you did; that is running back to pick the zeds off easily. This can be done in several of the first mission maps that were created. Blocking the path is the solution.

When filling the generator I could just keep picking up the can near the sandbags, is this intentional?
The coding for the gas cans isn't set up to disallow gas can respawn. Not ideal, but that's just how it is.

As for the zed counter, just ignore it. Nothing to do about that without coding. If you read the article where Fel explains how to make a mission map it would make more sense as to why the numbers jump around so much.

I like the suggestions you have for the objectives, but I am not sure that it is possible to turn glow on and off. (Would want it off after players completed objective.)

As for weapon angles, there is a way to do that, but you have to make a new weapon class and save it in the myLevel package, which increases the file size of the map. (Not 100% sure about the method, but my friend Will knows how to do it. I can ask him about that and post the exact method later on.)

The amount of ammo in the map is set up for around 3-4 players when playing on normal mode. The amount of zeds does not scale up.

The other ideas you have are awesome, but would take a long time to set up correctly and would require a lot of game play testing. Possibly using those ideas (or something similar) in future maps would be fun to do.

Upvote 0
As for weapon angles, there is a way to do that, but you have to make a new weapon class and save it in the myLevel package, which increases the file size of the map. (Not 100% sure about the method, but my friend Will knows how to do it. I can ask him about that and post the exact method later on.)

You have to take the wep mesh, place it at a new angle. then save in MyLevel. Then under the wep pickup info, you can change the mesh that is displayed for the pickup to the new slanted mesh

Upvote 0