• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey Ramm-Jaeger what happened to hero status & MkB42H/AVT40 being rare weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nenjin, you've been spouting so much praise that I'm starting to wonder if we've been playing the same game. You're acting like a fanboy who refuses to accept that people aren't content with the product they paid for and expected something different than what they got.
No, the simple fact is I wasn't there for RO. I bought it to support TWI a long time ago, played it for a few hours, and put it away. Because in truth, it felt like a clunky mod with a lot great ideas that I had missed the prime of.

So I'm not seeing RO through rose colored glasses, or RO2 through RO1 colored glasses. I come from a different bunch of shooters but I've given all games their due.....and RO2 is right in the middle of a lot of them in a lot of ways.

So while I may not have been there for the "real" RO experience, I've been around TWI games for a while now, and this is easily the best thing they've done in my opinion. It blends so many good things from games I loved (Enemy Territory, BF2, even parts of BC2 and I'm sure some of the hardcore military sims....), while only taking what it needed to from BC2 and CoD to stay competitive.

If that makes me a blind fanboi, than I think TWI honestly needs more people like me, and less people like their "loyal fans" and I don't care how much that pisses you guys off to hear it. Because I'm giving them their due, now, and you guys are giving them a lot crap from just about every quarter.

No wonder you haven't had any honest responses from devs in here, who the hell would want to talk to a bunch of guys who are pissing all over what they consider their magnum opus? 6 months ago, you guys worshiped the ground they walked on. Now even people I thought were super level-headed around here are saying things like "they sold us out for CoD players!"

Maybe the fact I was never a rabid fanatic of RO to start with is why I can enjoy the game now. Or maybe they made a great ****ing game for people who aren't too hung up on what they like to see it. Who knows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I quit playing RO2 yesterday in a Brazilian server (low ping) to play RO1 on a north american server with 250ms.

This probably shows how much we're liking this RO2. The best part is that we've paid abour 40 dollars for a... alpha version. When you ask if something works on RO2, the probability of a "NO" answer is about 95%.

And seriously, whats that **** bionic eye? You press shift and suddenly your eyes turn into a telescope?

SERIOUSLY TRIPWIRE.

SERIOUSLY.

Upvote 0
No wonder you haven't had any honest responses from devs in here, who the hell would want to talk to a bunch of guys who are pissing all over what they consider their magnum opus? 6 months ago, you guys worshiped the ground they walked on. Now even people I thought were super level-headed around here are saying things like "they sold us out for CoD players!"

Maybe the fact I was never a rabid fanatic of RO to start with is why I can enjoy the game now. Who knows.
For ages they advertised the game as a sequel to RO1. Then in the upcoming months towards release things began to just get silly. All footage was Relaxed realism. Then they began touting the unlock system and the MkB (back then people already saw the flaws in those things). When asked why, they said something along the lines of "we know you'll buy and enjoy the game anyway, so we're marketing towards new players!"
Now that the game is out, it's very clear that they didn't only not market for us, they didn't even properly develop for us. They wanted us to buy the game, and we bought it thinking it would be a real Ostfront sequel. Instead we got lots of unlock BS, ridiculous weapons, and absolutely daft class limits. I'd say that's pretty close to ripping us off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forssen
Upvote 0
You have many games to enjoy it is great !
A dozen of titles of all sort...

But why some ROost fans are pissed of.
Which game can they actually fully enjoy? None.

It's just a community that is dying without any thing to keep them stick together. The new community from more "arcadey" people is slowly replacing them.

They are not bad people in fact, it's just a cry of desperation.

I if you think I'm wrong, well I'm happy for you. And sorry for my English.

Upvote 0
For ages they advertised the game as a sequel to RO1. Then in the upcoming months towards release things began to just get silly. All footage was Relaxed realism. Then they began touting the unlock system and the MkB (back then people already saw the flaws in those things). When asked why, they said something along the lines of "we know you'll buy and enjoy the game anyway, so we're marketing towards new players!"
Now that the game is out, it's very clear that they didn't only not market for us, they didn't even properly develop for us. I'd say that's pretty close to ripping us off.
Bull****. You watched the same videos I did. You kept your pre-order. You read the same pieces I did, as did everyone else who was deeply interested in this game. Ripped off? You went in with eyes open, and you're making that TWI's fault instead of your's. Now you're squatting on your purchase, and the mantra is "well I'm just here waiting for mods" while people stink up the forums.

You're entitled to your opinion on the game, everyone is. But you can drop the "true fan" stuff. It's played out. Time to make way for the next generation of their fans. Because personally, I believe this is the game they wanted to make and they put about 1,000 different options in so people can eventually make it the game they want play. But not even that has been good enough for people. All that work, all that effort.....squandered on a lot of people who aren't nearly grateful enough for what the game is, just really angry about what it isn't. Funny how quickly you go from being a darling developer to just another dev you start to bad mouth when you don't like what they do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You have many games to enjoy it is great !
A dozen of titles of all sort...

But why some ROost fans are pissed of.
Which game can they actually fully enjoy? None.

It's just a community that is dying without any thing to keep them stick together. The new community from more "arcadey" people is slowly replacing them.

They are not bad people in fact, it's just a cry of desperation.

I if you think I'm wrong, well I'm happy for you. And sorry for my English.
Nobody will replace the RO community. RO1 vets will get pissed and find something else, the arcadey community will move on to the next blockbuster shooters like they always do.

Upvote 0
Bull****. You watched the same videos I did. You kept your pre-order. You read the same pieces I did, as did everyone else who was deeply interested in this game. Ripped off? You went in with eyes open, and you're making that TWI's fault instead of your's. Now you're squatting on your purchase, and the mantra is "well I'm just here waiting for mods" while people stink up the forums.

You're entitled to your opinion on the game, everyone is. But you can drop the "true fan" stuff. It's played out. Time to make way for the next generation of their fans. Because personally, I believe this is the game they wanted to make and they put about 1,000 different options in for people can eventually make the game they want. But not even that has been good enough for people.
They told us we would get alternatives. They told us MkBs, AVTs etc. would be rare and hero exclusive. They lied. It was said that we could bypass the unlock system with mutators from release on. They lied again. We're not happy about that. Get used to it.
If you think we're being disrespectful, put yourself in our shoes. And stop acting all holier than thou because you enjoy what you got.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They told us we would get alternatives. They told us MkBs, AVTs etc. would be rare. They lied. It was said that we could bypass the unlock system with mutators from release on. They lied again. We're not happy about that. Get used to it.
Glad to see all that it takes for people to turn is delays. In retrospect, maybe they really did put their attention where it was best served.

Excuse me, do you see the SDK anywhere, because I don

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Glad to see all that it takes for people to turn is delays. In retrospect, maybe they really did put their attention where it was best served.
The problem is that now it's very clear mutators won't be enough. We'd have to sift through all kinds of garbage to find a proper game mode. If we had gotten the mutators on release, chances are they would've turned a certain, community supported mutator into an official game mode.
Also, it was said numerous times that getting shot in certain areas would have permanent effects. Instead, everything can be fixed with a second's worth of bandaging. Again, we were lied to.

So far my predictions have mostly been right, so I'll go ahead and predict that if TWI doesn't act and actively support an unlock-free RO2 playstyle, the game will shrink massively in playerbase in an almost OFP2 like fashion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The bandaging bit IS rather putting me off. You blast a guy in the chest with a 7.62 at point blank range, he blows it off, Mkb42's you, bandages for a second or two, and goes off on his merry way. As long as nobody shoots him in the head, he can do this yet again, and have a final bleed out kill fest, too. COD/Blops is often criticised for having last stand/second chance. RO2 has 2nd chance, 3rd chance, and sometimes even 4th chance. It's an unitentional zombie game!

Upvote 0
So far my predictions have mostly been right, so I'll go ahead and predict that if TWI doesn't act and actively support an unlock-free RO2 playstyle, the game will shrink massively in playerbase in an almost OFP2 like fashion.
Because RO players were such a huge majority to begin with......

You guys see a bunch of broken promises. I see about 6 months of work implementing stuff they didn't leave themselves nearly enough time to finish.

You really think they created a body location damage system with like 10 working parts so they can just stop where we found it at release? Jesus, it's like climbing a mountain only to stop at the 100 feet from the summit. They're laying the ground work for a lot of ****. Too ambitious, if they wanted a flawless release, but **** it! It is what is it!

I'd leave some cute Star Wars picture with some text like "Your lack of faith is disturbing" but it's kind of beyond that now. Because people are literally living one day at at time in their opinion of the game, and damn, that's a sad way to spend your time. Because when I'm done with 5 hours of RO2, I'm ****ing satisfied, bugs and all. And it's only going to get better from here. (For me, anyways.)

I just see what is here and what is not; and to be honest, that is the only thing how I can judge their work till now.

Then just play the game and get to know it as it is now...instead of just flat out rejecting it until you get exactly what you want. Opinions CAN change, people CAN enjoy something other than what they're used to. Some people will never be able to get into it...and for those guys I'm really sorry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMO they're trying to have it both ways, and that always fails. Cater to COD type players, you alienate your long-time fan base, and they move on. In the meantime, MW3 and BF3 get released and you lose those arcade players who've cost you your base. Where are you then?

Everybody wants to be as big as Activision, but only a few can, and most fail ... period. There's a lot to be said for catering to a niche market and thriving (in a smaller but still profitable way) for many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegard
Upvote 0
Also, it was said numerous times that getting shot in certain areas would have permanent effects. Instead, everything can be fixed with a second's worth of bandaging.

I find this really strange: the soldier model in the bottom left-hand corner seems set up for a much more complex damage model, and even after you've healed up, your guy will still make terrible noises of pain / complaints.

I'd love to know the decision-making process during development.

You guys see a bunch of broken promises. I see about 6 months of work implementing stuff they didn't leave themselves nearly enough time to finish.

May well be this.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.