• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Another Beta opinion!

I don't know about the rest of you, but there's plenty of clumsiness and panic on my end.
Seriously though, on the first day of the beta, I loved it but it seemed like a huge clustercuss. But even just one day later it has slowed down immensely. People are working together and carefully moving. Maybe it was just the server I was on but every round lasted right down to the last objective, for the 6 hours or so I was on. The first day, I was astounded if even one objective was taken before lock out.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean :)

It's usually the case with new games, the 'pace' does slow once people acclimatise to the game-play and environments. But really what myself and others are talking about here, are some of the core features of the game that just don't ring true and in some ways leave the player with negative thoughts.

To put it bluntly, if something is not up to scratch in the first place, you shouldn't simply have to get used to it :)

Upvote 0
A lot of the feedback (griping? :p) from RO1 vets could be easily addressed by introducing some aiming / weapon-sway penalty tied to stamina.

Arma 2 does this very well and forces you to conserve your stamina, especially when in close contact with the enemy. Basically, you sprint too much, your weapon sways about 3x as much as normal for a bit regardless of holding your breath or looking down the sights. Even at the ranges seen on a map like Apartments this can be enough to cause a first-round miss.

Personally, however, I'm holding off on calling this game a run-and-gun shooter until we get to play a map that doesn't virtually require fast rushes with SMGs to win.

Upvote 0
I agree with the majority of the OP's points.

Although I would like to emphasize how well the elements of cover and collision have been implemented into the game - it really feels like you're a physical body in the world, rather than just some camera with a textured shell.

I think a lot of these changes can be made simply through some .txt file or similar edits, as it just seems the values of certain things (gun sway, exhaustion time, etc.) are off. My 2 cents.

Upvote 0
i have to agree with the op, and im a newcomer to RO games. as of right now, i love the beta...but i also feel as if it should be a little more penalizing for sprinting long distances and then being able to aim so accurately. i dont have RO1 experience to compare it to, but the overall "speed" of the game doesnt feel much differently to me than many other fps. alot of the game mechanics just seem a little bit to forgiving which promotes run and gun and takes away from having to really think things out before making a move.

Upvote 0
Putting my neck on the line a bit here, I've not really posted any kind of opinion on these forums regarding the Beta of RO2 but the more I think about the game the more some issues are playing on my mind. Feel free to disagree with me, down-vote the thread, and throw personal insults. This is just my opinion, which happens to be shared by some others, and I hope TW at least note my points without thinking I'm here to bash their hard work.

I'm a long-time player of Red Orchestra, I bought Unreal Tournament back in 2004 specifically to play the mod way before retail release of Ostfront - and I've loved the series to death since.

The one thing that undoubtedly made RO appeal to people was its realism, and I'm pleased to see many realistic factors added to RO2. I love that weapons handle more realistically now, and there are extra features like bandaging and bleed-outs. RO1's take on weapon performance was always a little too hardcore and ironically, unrealistic - think about the inaccurate MG's, massive recoil-pitching on SMG's and Semi's, and the very slow reload times for all weapons. But it didn't matter, the fact it was hard convinced people it must be realistic - and to be fair it was far more realistic than anything else available on the gaming market. It was a slow, tense affair in which a players' brain-power counted for as much, if not more, than point and click ability.

Smiling then, as I found the weapons to behave much better and more importantly more believably realistic in RO2. But then all of a sudden, a smile is replaced with a frown as silly features such as never-ending ironsights stability and weapon readiness speed have been implemented into what SHOULD be a life-like game. I wouldn't mind so much but these things drastically alter gameplay, and the devs who have been bashing CoD kids for so long have changed the very core of what made RO1 great.

Speed. It's what is for me, spoiling my experience thus far in RO2. Running around like an athlete with full kit until absolutely shattered with heavy breathing, but then being able to bring up very steady ironsights with slow and relaxed breathing is a fine example of what I'm getting at. The rate at which you can raise your weapon after sprinting is almost instantaneous and encourages rushing at any opportunity without the need to think too much. Reload times are fine, and are a vast improvement on RO1 - but other areas where speed and NON-fluidity matter are taking us away from realistic behaviour and is giving us a Call of Duty saga where running and gunning is the name of the game. Where's the clumsiness? Panic? Fatigued weapon handling? Why are we all apparently athletic super-humans who can hold a heavy weapon seemingly forever with next to no sway?

Amazing post. I hope Tripwire'll say something about these points.

Upvote 0
Couldn't agree more man. Would love to see some minor adjustments myself, like for example if you sprint for a LONG time and then pull up your gun you can still hold your breath no problem and aim perfect which isn't right. Also the sniper rifle, say you're sprinting then you click rmb the scope comes up almost instantaneously which is fairly unrealistic.

I really hope TWI cuts back on the weapon zooming with SHIFT all together cause it feels like a COD game or something when yo u can do that. I say Simulate how close your head can actually be to the sight and make that the zoom level while looking through it.. if that makes any sense.

Overall I love it to death, I'm just worried about some things and I hope they take some of the stuff into consideration. Some of us have been playing their games for years and it would be ashame if they decide to make what they want instead of what their loyal fanbase wants as well. At least compromise on some things that the majority find ridiculous.

Upvote 0
I just wish it would slow down a bit really. Don't run so fast. Little more gun sway. A little less accuracy. In RO sprinting and taking cover kept me alive. In RO2, I can't seem to stay alive for more than 10 seconds. Kills come all too easy in RO2 I think.

This paragraph is a little bit self-contradictory. Because in the end if you are sprinting for cover, the bottom line is that the slower you are, the easier to hit/kill you become. And just because the guy who was sprinting around can aim better than in RO1 (maybe this needs to be addressed, I don't know; I don't feel the pain of it as much as I would've thought) doesn't matter if the one who shot your ***-dragging avatar was the camper in the 3rd floor window. So it's hard to complain about the run speed being too fast and at the same time say you get killed too easy.

Upvote 0
Signed.

Understand TWI that if you implement these required features correctly, you could CHANGE what the GENERAL MARKET wants by showing them something BETTER. Sometimes business is about taking RISKS - you guys started taking risks ten years ago, and succeeded, so just know we all believe in you.

That's exactly what they should be doing - RO:Ost was, to a certain degree, very successful in that respect because it showed thousands of people that realistic gaming can be incredibly fun and addictive.

Thanks again for commenting guys, this is probably being put down as another rant-thread though :(

Upvote 0
Thank you for your post Op.

I just have to say that i relly think that the speed is good as it is atm. But i relly think that if you sprint and have low stamina you should not be able to have 100% aim.

And about the "bandaging" i relly think that it should have maby not more then 1 more sec to be done. And at it stands now in the game there is not relly a negativ effect when you get shot and then bandage your self. i think that they should implent that if you get shot in the "arm" you should get A "debuff" with your aim/sway

The lockdown "problem" is that the time is maby too short, but if its get to high it will be a problem on the other way. The loockdown is implented to work against "campers" so the gameplay gets more fluid.

And as it is now most problems could be server and ping releted (and ofc bugs) as most servers have relly "jumpy" ping and latency effecs alot of things. so i think we should maby w8 with the gamechanges untill the servers gets more stable. (have 100/100 mb and we testet on a Swedish server and got unstable ping)

Just my 5 cent
Ankan

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0
+1 to the Weapon Sway and Ironsights Ready Time comments.

Cant say the movement speed irks me too much but I agree with the other points.

What I also noticed is how fast the rifles get bolted in RO2. I cant even begin to image how fast it will be if you are a veteran/hero. They would almost be semi automatic.

Upvote 0
+1 to the Weapon Sway and Ironsights Ready Time comments.

Cant say the movement speed irks me too much but I agree with the other points.

What I also noticed is how fast the rifles get bolted in RO2. I cant even begin to image how fast it will be if you are a veteran/hero. They would almost be semi automatic.

I have this inkling that we are currently playing at Max Hero in all stats.

Upvote 0