• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design When is the SDK coming?

pavlovsbuildmemoryusage.jpg

I built Pavlov's House on Preview (lowest quality setting, with Production being the highest) and this is what the memory usage was. I'd say you might be able to skate by with 6GB on a low detail, small/medium sized map.

Alright, thanks for the info... 6 gigs will probably be adequate. Frankly Im not sure how demanding terrain is, but I intend for most of my maps to be rural & populated with trees and rocks and small sparse villages... thats really all I want to make so I'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not to shoot the messenger here but where do you gain the impression that everybody would be trying to compile their maps at production settings? Going anything higher than medium/high is really grasping at straws.

I think its just a given fact for all games that most custom maps are not going to be able to compete on the same playing grounds as the official developer maps, but that's never stopped them from being good or numerous.

Just leave it build overnight. RS dev team doesn't have a computer cluster for lightmass either, so I just let the map build and go out for a jog or something.
Plus there are countless of other people working with UDK too, and not having a computer cluster to build maps for them hasn't stopped them ;)

Upvote 0
Just leave it build overnight. RS dev team doesn't have a computer cluster for lightmass either, so I just let the map build and go out for a jog or something.
Plus there are countless of other people working with UDK too, and not having a computer cluster to build maps for them hasn't stopped them ;)

That's what I've been doing for years for any map program. Just set it to run/compile/build (whatever it's called in the editor) and just go do something else for a while.

Upvote 0