• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

tripwire, i'd like to sell you a car.

dermal

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 16, 2011
i'd like to sell you a car.

*tripwire pays the money*

ok thanks, the car isn't working and it might be
tomorrow, or next week, or possibly even months
from now. you can't drive it until then,
and you can't have your money back.

that seem fair?
no, and there's lemon laws against this.
in fact consumer agencies protect people with nearly
every facet of purchases, but then there's software.
they can sell something that doesn't do what the box says.
and you are stuck.

i feel cheated, waiting for a game that was hyped up.
i would imagine your developers feel cheated too,
because this is like buying a painting with half the colors
on the canvas, not the intended project.

sure lots of games have released in buggy states.
does this make it ok? NO.
unacceptable.

in my opinion you guys should be thinking of a way
to handle damage control. i mean aside from fixing the game..
why not give these people who wasted their time
a killing floor key? at least i could use the skins from my DDE.

pretty disappointed. wanted to invest in the indie company
and i am getting the corporate rich man cold shoulder.
and the community is mostly thankful, it really makes me
sad when people are ok with something like this.
it makes it ok for people to continue releasing games in this state.

i'd like to sell you a car.

*tripwire pays the money*

ok thanks, the car isn't working and it might be
tomorrow, or next week, or possibly even months
from now. you can't drive it until then,
and you can't have your money back.

that seem fair?
no, and there's lemon laws against this.
in fact consumer agencies protect people with nearly
every facet of purchases, but then there's software.
they can sell something that doesn't do what the box says.
and you are stuck.

i feel cheated, waiting for a game that was hyped up.
i would imagine your developers feel cheated too,
because this is like buying a painting with half the colors
on the canvas, not the intended project.

sure lots of games have released in buggy states.
does this make it ok? NO.
unacceptable.

in my opinion you guys should be thinking of a way
to handle damage control. i mean aside from fixing the game..
why not give these people who wasted their time
a killing floor key? at least i could use the skins from my DDE.

pretty disappointed. wanted to invest in the indie company
and i am getting the corporate rich man cold shoulder.
and the community is mostly thankful, it really makes me
sad when people are ok with something like this.
it makes it ok for people to continue releasing games in this state.

Did you bother to read the EULA? You are not purchasing a car, and you are not puchasing a game. You are purchasing the right to use the software. You are purchasing the right to use an intangible good, of which the developer has no obligation to support past a time of their discretion.

Tripwire has a good track record, and issues will be resolved with time.

Ever hear of companies completely ending support for the game and shutting down all servers rendering the game impossible to play?
Because it has happened....

The game is playable. Not sure what sort of issues you are having, but instead of ranting and moaning try posting a constructive response that actually talks about your issues.

Upvote 0
Did you bother to read the EULA? You are not purchasing a car, and you are not puchasing a game. You are purchasing the right to use the software. You are purchasing the right to use an intangible good, of which the developer has no obligation to support past a time of their discretion.

Tripwire has a good track record, and issues will be resolved with time.

Ever hear of companies completely ending support for the game and shutting down all servers rendering the game impossible to play?
Because it has happened....

The game is playable. Not sure what sort of issues you are having, but instead of ranting and moaning try posting a constructive response that actually talks about your issues.

Wow, I was just about to post the exact same thing. Good job :p

Upvote 0
Wow, I was just about to post the exact same thing. Good job :p

It's my understanding that, in europe, EULAs are null and void because the consumer can't return the product if they disagree with the terms, as the only way to view a piece of software, and often times, hardware's EULA you not only have to open the box, but also have to turn on or play the physical product.

Not saying that i agree with OP's little poem here, but i don't necessarily agree with EULAs either.

Upvote 0
OP how can I say this????..... you are douchebag,yes? :D

Do you for a moment tought that devs wanted for their game to be like this? or they screwed up things because they were lazy to get busy and work some extra time?

Sometimes things dont turn out perfect or satisfactory and customers are not always happy... but what really counts is that they are trying and going back to the drawing boards just to fix stuff for lil ole us!!!

I praise their entusiasm,and will support them cause they try to fix things unlike other bigger dev teams.In time they will get everything in order I know that.

Upvote 0
You have no idea how many times I've heard the car analogy. Thing is, it very rarely works.

Exaclty, the car analogy only works for car purchases, and even in that case it's a pointless analogy.

edit: Come to think of it, I've got a 2009 Renault Clio if you want to buy it dermal. Comes with drm and a eula, if you're interested.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's my understanding that, in europe, EULAs are null and void because the consumer can't return the product if they disagree with the terms, as the only way to view a piece of software, and often times, hardware's EULA you not only have to open the box, but also have to turn on or play the physical product.

Not saying that i agree with OP's little poem here, but i don't necessarily agree with EULAs either.

If you purchased the game or run the software (because you needed to run it through STEAM) there was a EULA that you agreed to, before the game would install.

Upvote 0
How about this for an analogy:

A car company sells a million cars.

For 850,000 people everything is great with the car.

For 100,000 the person put diesel in the gas tank but it was supposed to take unleaded, so the car won't run. They take it to the dealership, the dealership takes the diesel out and tells them to put unleaded in, the car runs fine.

For 45,000 people the car doesn't accelerate as fast as they thought it would. They take it into the dealership and they change the spark plugs, and then the car runs fine.

For 5,000 poeple, they can't get the car to start. They take it to the dealership to get fixed, or take it to the dealership and return the car.

:)

Upvote 0
The original analogy is a little over the top, but..

How about this for an analogy:

Well, since you asked:

-It's pushing it to suggest 85% of RO2 owners (or 'licensees' if you prefer) are totally satisfied with the product in its current state. Taking a straw poll of your loyal fan base doesn't count.

-If the majority of technical issues with the game were a result of users experiencing rampant PEBKAC or ID-10T errors, I would expect a few simple solutions to have corrected the vast majority of the issues. I have yet to see evidence of that. At the moment it seems like the majority of those are cropping up on your end. ;)

-More like replacing the engine or tranny. Except that people are experiencing problems on a full range of systems, from budget to high end. Opps.

-Most people with digital downloads can't return the software.

Honestly, what I personally would like to see is a little more mea maxima culpa on the part of Tripwire. The launch was botched. Badly. This isn't 'Whoops, we missed a spot', this is 'Now where did the floor go..' I think it's reasonable to assume it will get fixed (why I havn't been screaming down Steam Support's ear), but that isn't the point. Reading through this forum there is a massive amount of backslapping and rationalizing going on. Most of the official explanations sound like 'It's not our fault, it's the ____ (engine, patching system, range of user systems, etc,)". It gets incredibly frustrating

Tripwire has also acquired an extremely loud and loyal group of supporters who essentially press gang anyone who dares to criticize. Has a lot of the criticism been rude and excessive? Sure. But then so has a lot of the response.

Upvote 0
Who came up with this moronic car analogy in the first place?

Sorry, it was me. I bought a Pinto a long time ago when they were new. Ten minutes after leaving the Car Lot I was rear ended. My car was engulfed in a fiery inferno. I've lost all my hair and it still hasn't grown back to this day. I went back to the dealership, they pretty much told me you break it you bought it....

Ok not really, just bored at work and waiting for the work week to be over.

Reactions: Dr.Phibes
Upvote 0