• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How will RO:HOS utilize cores?

UE3 is able to handle every specified task on a different thread.

audio stuff could be diverted to a core
AI could be diverted to a core
netcode can be diverted to a core
physics could be diverted to a core
software rendering stuff can be diverted to a core.
etc.

But a heavy task like say AI cannot be split over multiple cores. So how many cores the game will utilize will depend on how stressful individual assets of the game are. So as far as I know UE3 is not limited to 2 threads, but most games will probably not need to use more than 2 threads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ue3 is very good at utilizing cores. ue3 games that play awfully on an older dual core computer will have much better performance on a quad-core with the same videocard, for instance. whereas other games have nearly the same performance. ue3 is pretty impressive in this respect.

Upvote 0
I would like resurrect this discussion.

In October or December I'm gonna buy new parts for my PC. ATM I'm in two minds about number of cores in my future CPU. I'm sure that Unreal Engine utilize 4 cores great, but how about 6? New AMD X6 line of processors seems to be good investment for future years. Also it is great OC platform.

I search for some answer on internet, all what i could find is interview about new EU3 game Hunted: The Demon’s Forge.

Benchmarking and testing various games with Epics technology we found out that the Unreal Engine 3 is optimized for multithreading, especially dual core CPUs. By now Quad core CPUs have become affordable and popular. Do you take this into account and try to improve multi core support in the PC version of Hunted: The Demon’s Forge?
We do not utilize any additional multi-core optimizations aside from those that come with Unreal.
• If yes how many core are supported and what is the expected performance gain from 2, 4 or even 6 or 8 cores?
You should not expect a significant performance boost for increasing the # of cores, beyond the normal amount gained from being able to manage several threads at once. A bigger increase could be expected from upgrading your processor speed.​
It'd be great to get some answers directly from developers how new RO does work with 4 and 6 core processors.

Edit: I found some tests, it seems that 6 core processors works really well with Unreal Tournament game.

ut3.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why wouldn't I be able to increase the player size? I mean you can do it in Arma/2, RO/DH, and God for saken OFP: DR of all games.

Once servers get better twi could perhaps raise the limit with some bigger maps. And people could always make a mutator for more players. The thing being the 64 server slots being used for rohos. Will take into account the existence of dual core processors.

Without a dual core processor you probably won't be able to get one strong enough for 64 players. Even on a dual or quad core you probably still need a pretty high clock speed to make 64 players happen.

Upvote 0
So does RO2 utilize hyper-threading on Intel processors?

I may get one of those MSI laptops with an Nvidia GTX 570m video card and a 2.00GHz Core i7, with hyperthreading (so 4 physical + 4 virtual cores). Would this perform as well as a 6-core processor? Also since the recommended requirement is a 2.6GHz quad, will a 2.00 quad with hyper threading and turbo-boost work well? WIth only one core utilized the max frequency is 2.9GHz.

Upvote 0