• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Would you pay for DLC?

Would you pay for DLC?

• Yes, I'd buy whatever TWI offers for HoS

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • I'd buy content packs, similar to ArmA2 British Armed Forces

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • I'd pay for mappacks

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I would pay for single items like special uniforms/skin packs or weapons

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • No, I will not pay for any kind of DLC

Votes: 44 43.1%

• Total voters
if you have to start buying maps etc that will definately cause problems as some people wont be able to join certain servers - thats gunna piss server owners off if they paid for a map and it empties server every time it come on cause no one got it.

Re : buying weapons etc not really a communitie builder thing but probaly wont cause as much grief

As regards expansion mods well thats a differing thing could produce a few quid - but if no one buys will kill mod off

Upvote 0
Imagine weapons etc. would simply add to the individualization and not give any (real) gameplay benefits. For example you'd usually carry an MP40, but for 99c you can buy a MP41 or when you've got a K98k you could buy some czech rifle instead. Since HoS seems to be much about character customization I could imagine that could work pretty well!

If the damage and aim stay the same that would be a good idea.

Upvote 0
This is how I see the best way to keep the community happy and not fractured while still adding new content and making more money.

Have a preorder where you get access to a beta and a free copy of OF. The preorder can start a month or so before release with the beta coming 2 weeks before retail. Have a content update a month or 2 after release with a free weekend for MP. 6 months have another update with 50% off and a free weekend. When Rising Storm comes out do the same thing 50% and a free weekend.

I really don’t like the idea of charging for extra content. I was kinda pissed when the skins came out for KF BEFORE we even got any other content update. New skins aren’t as big of an issue to me as something that changes the game and splits up the community.

I get that TW was tring to make some extra money from KF with the skins but as it looks now its seem like that could build a lot of good will if they don’t charge for any content updates.

Upvote 0
We love doing free updates, they are good for business in a variety of ways (new sales, keeping current players happy and playing, bringing old players back (which feeds into our black hole theory of gaming which is the more players you have the more players you will have)). And we have always stated we will keep doing them unless we feel we have something significant which is worth charging money for (ie: think expansion type thing, or Rising Storm (which is an expansion type thing)).

But free updates are only free for one side (and only net you a profit for so long before they do not pay for themselves). We over extended ourselves with free updates on RO to a degree (and learned this fact). That is why we did our experiment with skins on KF, to help support free updates.

As far as I know, we have not announced anything besides the potential for Rising Storm to be a paid expansion [at least that anybody has told me].

Upvote 0
I voted that I would pay for content packs. I am willing to pay for DLC depending on what it entails and how much it costs. I did not buy the KF skins, because I frankly don't care how my character looks. However, if the dlc for KF allowed me to make my own character (customization) look, then I would probably gotten it.

If I have to pay for new maps, count me out. If content adds new, better, and more awesomeness to the game, like adding the Italian faction for example to HOS, then hells yeah I'll buy it.

:IS2:

Upvote 0
I voted that I would pay for content packs. I am willing to pay for DLC depending on what it entails and how much it costs. I did not buy the KF skins, because I frankly don't care how my character looks. However, if the dlc for KF allowed me to make my own character (customization) look, then I would probably gotten it.

If I have to pay for new maps, count me out. If content adds new, better, and more awesomeness to the game, like adding the Italian faction for example to HOS, then hells yeah I'll buy it.

:IS2:
+1, even new weapons or new tanks:D. But expansions are way cooler than dlc.

Upvote 0
Interesting read there, Major Day.

Though not an Activision or TW, Battlefront Europe is a free download and a pay to play concept. I've never enjoyed playing that game. The graphics suck (imo), the server is sketchy, and its hard to pop in for a "quickie" that gives you any satisfaction. Yet, many seem to play and enjoy it.

BFBC2 (perhaps the BF series?), America's Army, et.al. lean in that direction, too. That is, you can't run their dedicated servers on your own server box. Bummer, imo. We have to rent through an authorized GSP. We are led to believe that this is necessary to ensure that Perks/stats/level ups, etc. are kept legit. Perhaps some players hinge their life and gaming experience on such things, but that escapes my comprehension so I'll not comment about that. As a player, the future of online fps gaming doesn't look too rosey in my eyes.
==================

+1 to what =GG= Mr Moe said.

Upvote 0
My reason being is that even if a developer had no intention of adding the content that is in the DLC to the standard game initially or as free content, there is no way of knowing that. So you always have that feeling that you're paying for something you already should have had whether its true or not. Even if a developer goes in thinking they won't scam the players the whole concept of DLC allows developers to take the less productive route. There could be a scenario where a developer truly wants some special content in the standard game but the concept of DLC allows them to say no that's too hard or not that's not possible and instead of possibly working extra hard to get it in the original game they pass it off to the DLC. Albums aren't released in separate groups of songs and movies aren't released in parts of scenes. There should be one solid complete package that stands alone as the best version of the game.

EDIT: My bad for double post. Was trying to add an edit to my original post and messed up.

Upvote 0
there really should be a depends option (not the underwear....)

i probably would pay for things such as an expansion pack; ex rising storm, it is a different theatre of war afterall, but see below *

i am not oppossed to dlc that is similar to that which was offered for killing floor. In other words, it really doesn't affect gameplay.

----------------------

i don't like the idea of purchasing content that gives players extra perks or weapons that may give them an advantage over someone who doesn't buy that content. I hate hate hate that in other games and most likely wouldn't like it even in a game i know i will love such as rohos.

* as others have stated, i also don't like the idea of content that will split the community in any way and that may include map packs or any other content such as weapons or vehicles such as those we received free with roost in the updates that twi was so nice to offer.

----------------------

in no way am i saying i don't believe that twi may deserve the money for the extra work involved in making extra content (it is a business afterall), nor do i think that those on the rising storm team don't deserve anything for their extra efforts etc. I just don't really like the possibility of the community being split.

i honestly can say that i would definitely pay more for the initial release if i knew that there won't be any paying for updates or mappacks etc so that all who purchase the game can have access to that content as a free download via steam.
this.

Upvote 0