• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gone for a week

SiC-Disaster

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
Yeah, i'm gonna be gone for a week starting from this sunday.
Sunday i'll actually still be here but probably have no time to do anything, except for the big survivalrun i have to do.
Then it's a week off to Belgium on survival :)
Probably be back on friday night.

Getting pretty psyched for that survivalrun though.. It's gonna be tough as hell.
I'm gonna do the 10 km + over 50 obstacles, on my own. So i'll have a fieldday for self-motivation :D
Last year the organisation of it got punished by the Survivalrun Commite though, because it was TO damn hard.
People training multiple times a week were still dropping out by bunches, and only a select few people actually made it.

For people who dont know what a survivalrun is: It's basically an exhaustion battle for your entire body.
You'll get a minimum of 6/7 kilometres to run, and depending on the distance you'll get 30/40, 50, or even 70 obstacles to deal with.
These obstacles can be very varied, like rope-climbing over a log, hacking through a big log and carry the remainders back to another waypoint, wade through a swamp, climb under nets over water, a combination of all previously mentioned things etc. There really is no limit to what you can do (unless ofcourse it becomes totally undoable)
Then there is the end-obstacle. It's allways the biggest ***** of the bunch, the very hardest obstacles you say 'oh f*ck' at. You're allready totally exhausted, your muscles have turned to gel, and then you still have to do that thing before your finished... It takes a weird kind of mentality to do this kind of thing :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmwEAaSTQsA&feature=related

Probably the most valuable reward: the feeling "I did it !!".

Monk.

Yeah, thats pretty much it. Unless you're doing the contest, then you get a trophy or something.
But you'll have to be some kind of special commando if you wanna be first at that :D i swear to god, those people just race over the track like maniacs and leave everybody behind with a wtf feeling.

Anyways, i have more time then i thought i would today, so i'm still here for now, untill monday morning.
I just came back from the Wadro run, and it was tough as ****.

Couldnt make it through a couple of obstacles, so officially i didnt finish the run, but i did make it to the end.
Had to use my last reserves to get over the final obstacle, and when i did, i was so tired i just had to yell FOK YEAH! Like a wild bear together with my mate (i started alone, but i ran into them later on.. He started earlier, but i caught up with him somewhere at 3/4), made people laugh though :D
Right now i'm feeling pretty broken but satisfied. Lot of muscles hurting and i have 0 energy but still feeling good :p

I only have a picture of the end obstacle though, but i'll put it up here later ^^
Right now, dinner time :D I'm gonna eat like a boar :D

Upvote 0
Crusher isnt getting into my home unless he fixes Belgian public transport ffs :D
It sucked such horrendous *** lol, they dropped us off to late for the 9 o'clock bus out of Houffalize, and then the next bus was at 2 o'clock in the afternoon :eek: Actually had to hitchhike out of there to get to a trainstation back to Holland.
After that, every train got a delaying time of 30+ minutes, so in the end we did 12 hours over a journey that should only take 4 hours max by car.

They had a german tank over in that town though, a remainder from WW2.
A Panther Ausf. G or something like that, i'm trying to remember what exactly the sign said.

Anyways, that was me today posing on the thing.

It's nice terrain though, i liked all the rolling hills and big forests and stuff. We dont have that here in Holland, it's all flat and forests are just so small you cant do anything there.
****ty weather though. Rain rain rain all week pretty much.
Got soaked on tuesday during mountainbiking, extremely wet and dirty from cave-exploring on wednesday, stayed dry thanks to my poncho during hiking on thursday, got annoyed waiting for public transport on friday.

During some off-road hiking by map and compass:

That survivalrun thing the weekend before though went pretty good as well.
As i previously said, i did the 10 km with 52 obstacles. Went perfect till somewhere in the middle, then my arms were getting tired and stuff went downhill from there.
Got wet, dirty, cold, tired and hurt, but i made it to the finish-line. Couldnt do all obstacles, though i did pretty much all of them.
The ending-obstacle is a pretty extreme ***** though, especially when you're considering the length and amount of the course and obstacles you have allready done.

Basically you had to climb up the rope, over the top, onto the lower beam.
When youre there you had to hang under the beams and move across to the other side, get back up on the beam so you could get on the hanging rope-net. Had to go under there, back up the other side, hang upside-down on the horizontal rope-net to the other side, onto another hanging rope-net, under it and up the other side, then you had quite a few tyres hanging there under wich you had to go through. Then you got to the final part, another ropeclimbing obstacle where you had to go over the top (known as the swing-over). After that, the final dash to the bell and finish your time :p
Again, this is the 52nd obstacle ;) So at that point your exhausted, tired and cold as hell. Really had to take my time getting over that last one, and the last climb used up my last reserves together with my mate, he was allready up and he helped pulling me up. Came up on top yelling feeling king of the world :D

Couldnt get away from it without a couple of bruises, especially my right arm (biceps/triceps) and my lower arms. What people won't do for fun eh?

Upvote 0