• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] IL2 sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Press Release/Video

Since when playing IL2 online is equivalent to IRL dogfight? ;) As enjoyable as it can be I still would hardly take it that seriously. And no, I am not expecting the offline (let alone the online) experience or anything to be perfect for fairly obvious reasons.

There's a huge diffrence between plane going down heavily damaged or engine smoking (which is the case with most gun footages) after repeated hits than just few 1-2 perfectly accurate shots and kaboom.

Yes it's perfectly logical because they're firing deflection shots that actually have high odds to hit properly around the engine, not just one in a million based on one magic pixel fired straight behind the aircraft unless it magically penetrates the fuselage, cockpit, instruments and then sinks into the nose and ignites the fuel without killing or wounding the pilot while we're at it.

We all know that the video only portrays it in an action-looking way, but as everyone or any serious fan should know this game has some insane ballistic/damage modeling under the hood which should be as close to a real ww2 dog fight you could possibly get.

Think of it as if Tripwire would just release a video with a , 5 hits causing 5 tanks to blow up each and everyone directly or shortly after it was hit, what are the actual odds of that in game.. not very high, nor is it in reality.

My guess is that Ubisoft kinda directed how this video should be. Having played plenty of IL2 and been around their forums , there is no way in hell that Oleg let's the realism slip since it is the whole concept of the sim.

Last but not least, the game obviously has different realism settings as well, for all we know it could've been recorded in noob-mode :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My guess is that Ubisoft kinda directed how this video should be. Having played plenty of IL2 and been around their forums , there is no way in hell that Oleg let's the realism slip since it is the whole concept of the sim.

Yes that is also what I suspect. Now to be frank I am positive the game will be pretty damm good, but it still doesn't really change the fact I see the trailer as really... cheap in a way that it makes me doubt it in some way. Hopefully we can leave it at that :p

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
http://www.neocrisis.com/articles/1...6459-il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover-interview

Minor Interview with one of the leads behind the game.

I think that sums up pretty much both Tripwire and 1C's handling of their respective communities :p
Wow great interview! I particularly liked this part:

How do you like the PC as a platform for game development?
We love it. Realistic flight sims are impossible on consoles because only PCs have the computing power you need for all the physics and aerodynamics and artificial intelligence. As long as we continue making realistic flight sims, the PC is our only option.

Reactions: Dcode
Upvote 0
Since when playing IL2 online is equivalent to IRL dogfight? ;) As enjoyable as it can be I still would hardly take it that seriously. And no, I am not expecting the offline (let alone the online) experience or anything to be perfect for fairly obvious reasons.

There's a huge diffrence between plane going down heavily damaged or engine smoking (which is the case with most gun footages) after repeated hits than just few 1-2 perfectly accurate shots and kaboom.

Yes it's perfectly logical because they're firing deflection shots that actually have high odds to hit properly around the engine, not just one in a million based on one magic pixel fired straight behind the aircraft unless it magically penetrates the fuselage, cockpit, instruments and then sinks into the nose and ignites the fuel without killing or wounding the pilot while we're at it.

#1: Last time I checked it's a trailer for a game, not for World War 2.

#2: Several planes in the vids are shown exploding, instantly turning into flames after a few hits.

3: Again... kinda confused about what you're saying... there are both deflection and non-deflection guncam shots??? And as for the shooting from the rear thing...have you ever heard of something called convergence?

Upvote 0
NoxNoctum said:
#2: Several planes in the vids are shown exploding, instantly turning into flames after a few hits.

Key word: few hits. Not a single shot as it was the case in trailer.

NoxNoctum said:
3: Again... kinda confused about what you're saying... there are both deflection and non-deflection guncam shots??? And as for the shooting from the rear thing...have you ever heard of something called convergence?

That convergence makes sense (After all, I am talking about the trailer itself) for that one part where Hurricane nails Bf-109, while that one moment where Bf-109 nails that one aircraft it's a nosecannon shot. No matter what convergence you had it's pretty impossible to have a magical bullet that hits the engine with that unless a wizard did it.

I already explained the biggest reason why I have that small doubt is because I consider personally the trailer looks bloody ridiculous and stupid, giving me distinct "What the **** am I watching?" reaction. I also asked we can leave it at that, as otherwise we're going to be bickering about this for quite some time.

Bottom line for the umpteenth time: Cliffs of Dover is probably going to be goddamm awesome game, but unfortunately I still consider the trailer so stupid it makes me doubt that simple fact. Can we please finally leave it at that, unless we want to argue for the sake of arguing about brief subjective disbelief for next five pages? Sure it's lovely way to kill some time but your call :p

Upvote 0
Key word: few hits. Not a single shot as it was the case in trailer.

That convergence makes sense (After all, I am talking about the trailer itself) for that one part where Hurricane nails Bf-109, while that one moment where Bf-109 nails that one aircraft it's a nosecannon shot. No matter what convergence you had it's pretty impossible to have a magical bullet that hits the engine with that unless a wizard did it.

I already explained the biggest reason why I have that small doubt is because I consider personally the trailer looks bloody ridiculous and stupid, giving me distinct "What the **** am I watching?" reaction. I also asked we can leave it at that, as otherwise we're going to be bickering about this for quite some time.

Bottom line for the umpteenth time: Cliffs of Dover is probably going to be goddamm awesome game, but unfortunately I still consider the trailer so stupid it makes me doubt that simple fact. Can we please finally leave it at that, unless we want to argue for the sake of arguing about brief subjective disbelief for next five pages? Sure it's lovely way to kill some time but your call :p

The nose cannon isnt exactly a light machinegun..
And seeing as all physics are simulated realistically i fail to see how magic is involved, it might've been recorded on a lower-realism settings but still i dont find anything wrong in the trailer, it's supposed to give an action impression for the unknown viewer, but anyone that has follow the series and development knows that this is and will be the most realistic combat sim ever along side DCS series and if you've played the orginal IL2 series you'd know that realism is the main concept of the game.

It's composed of several hits where action happens, as if Tripwire would show 5 tanks getting blow up when hit..

At about 1minute you've a one hit ignition from close range.(yes he keeps shooting more afterwards indeed)

YouTube - Luftwaffe Bf109 and FW190 gun camera

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At about 1minute you've a one hit ignition from close range.(yes he keeps shooting more afterwards indeed)

Ignition and smoking is slightly diffrent from firing one-two shots and everything's going down in huge fireball, considering the frequency you can see it in the trailer.

However I already admitted my retarded mistake of mentioning out loud the extremely weird first impression simply due the trailer. Now I am perfectly aware trailer =\= the final product, especially since it's genuinely Maddox Games were talking about and that interview hockeywarrior posted certainly cleared that part out quite well. Can we please drop this already? This is as close it can get to beating a dead horse as I've been repeating the same thing for the last three posts.

Upvote 0
The key thing over IL2 that I can't wait for are the updated flight models. Fewer aircraft means more detail, which should mean each aircraft offers a more unique and accurate model of the original.

Visually I had few issues with the look of planes in Il2 and a little visual overhaul is enough to keep me happy. What I want are better flight models and acceptable AI (The AI in IL2 are just plain bad by modern standards).

As for DRM and online authentication. It doesn't break RoF or any of the steam games I own so I really couldn't care less. I realise it may be a pain for some, but for me Flight Sims are all about online gameplay or co-op anyway. So without a net connection you are missing out.

As for damage models and how planes eplode of collapse or shed parts of leak fuel or whatever. So long as it's varied and seems vaguely connected to where you hit I'm happy. I just want to know if I get enough rounds on target on the right parts of a plane it'll go down.

The trailer is meant to be cinematic and planes nosediving leaving a trail of smoke and fire like a giant chrysanthemum is just what people expect to see - so it makes sense.

Oleg and his guys have always ultimately delivered and showed theat they listen to and react to the voice of the community. It may take time to work out bugs but if IL2 is anything to go by, this game will get updates and expansions and improved features and playability to keep it fresh for years to come.

So Tally Ho chaps!

Upvote 0
Ignition and smoking is slightly diffrent from firing one-two shots and everything's going down in huge fireball, considering the frequency you can see it in the trailer.

However I already admitted my retarded mistake of mentioning out loud the extremely weird first impression simply due the trailer. Now I am perfectly aware trailer =\= the final product, especially since it's genuinely Maddox Games were talking about and that interview hockeywarrior posted certainly cleared that part out quite well. Can we please drop this already? This is as close it can get to beating a dead horse as I've been repeating the same thing for the last three posts.

Sure whatever im just saying that the trailer does in no way imply that the game is unrealistic and going down in fireballs happens quite often, be that with some luck or hardwork..

Cheers

Upvote 0
Sure whatever im just saying that the trailer does in no way imply that the game is unrealistic and going down in fireballs happens quite often, be that with some luck or hardwork..

Cheers
This is one of those debates where I'm really not sure why we're even debating anything at all ...

Upvote 0
UBI's new DRM scheme, look it up, there's a huge thread about it here on the forum, and it created a plenty big ****storm all over the internet.

If they put that crap on this game, then i can't buy it with a clean concience (i do not want to support such buisness practices with my money).

I agree. Ubisoft's DRM is awful. What does Cliffs of Dover use exactly?

I hate for DRM to ruin an otherwise promising game...

Upvote 0
Anyone know if this is coming to Steam?

I am not one for flight sims but this does look interesting. Games with substance are a rarity these days.

As far as i know it won't be a steam game meaning that you don't need steam, however it's probably quite likely that it will be offered on steam as well, just like the IL2 1946 package is and since 1C has several titles on there such as Men of War and Theatre of War.

Upvote 0