• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Second impressions thread

Hillstorm

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2011
Now that we've had the beta for about 72 hours...

I'll say I'm turning a corner on it, of sorts. The potentially epic scale of the game is grabbing me. Been playing Fallen Fighters...my first experiences were bad because it was the countdown (or maybe even firefight?) battles - I'm still not sure I understand the difference -- but it was just in a corner of the map and I hated it. Just a suicide charge.

But playing it several times in TE mode is so different.. it's just amazing how they modeled the entire center of Stalingrad (to scale, if I understand) and we are moving in and about it, every once in awhile a scene of soldiers advancing in front of me will give me weird chills. There is definitely something going on here.

I am looking forward to the new maps. I have faith the bugs will get fixed. I'm still very disappointed in some of the fundamental changes that have been made, but I don't think(I hope) any of them are out-and-out dealbreakers for me. It will make it hard to adjust between playing RO1 and RO2 (and I do plan to continue playing RO1, it's great) but I can respect them for being two very different games.

I think being able to customize a lot of settings will also make my experience better.. with the vocalizations (I hate all the chatter), I want native languages (I swear I hear Arnold Schwarznegger and Liam Neeson?) lol.. and I'll only be playing on servers that fit certain realism criteria.

I thought I would like apartments, instead I hate it - but that's more just my personal preference. I don't like being funneled into a small variety of routes/choices, like being sent to my death ;) but I do understand a lot of Stalingrad was like that. "Kill zones," the Russians called them. Ouch.

All in all, the product so far certainly shows all the work that went into it. I look forward to seeing what the new maps bring.

After the initial mess of bugs and crapping out, I'm really getting into the game now that I have managed to play more than a few rounds.

Honestly, all of the complaints that the purists have been raising about the zoom, faster sprint, and changed weapon dynamics just feel -right-. I'm no longer trudging through killzones like I have cement shoes, I'm sprinting, diving for cover, and praying that a stray shot doesn't clip my behind. I've followed several of my comrades crouch-running through trenches only to have the guy in front of me get blown to bits by a grenade, his corpse raining down on us while we all dive for prone. I've played a game of cat and mouse with an enemy sniper, armed only with my trusty Mosin-Nagant, finally getting the drop on him from a sneaky perch and ending his reign of terror on my comrades. I have heard my allies screaming in pain, watched them go down less than a foot away from me from enemy fire, and watched helplessly as his screams eventually silenced.

I have never felt this kind of emotional connection to a game before, much less a freaking online shooter. This game has the potential to be pure gold, and I have no doubt that Tripwire will make it so.

Upvote 0
After the initial mess of bugs and crapping out, I'm really getting into the game now that I have managed to play more than a few rounds.

Honestly, all of the complaints that the purists have been raising about the zoom, faster sprint, and changed weapon dynamics just feel -right-. I'm no longer trudging through killzones like I have cement shoes, I'm sprinting, diving for cover, and praying that a stray shot doesn't clip my behind. I've followed several of my comrades crouch-running through trenches only to have the guy in front of me get blown to bits by a grenade, his corpse raining down on us while we all dive for prone. I've played a game of cat and mouse with an enemy sniper, armed only with my trusty Mosin-Nagant, finally getting the drop on him from a sneaky perch and ending his reign of terror on my comrades. I have heard my allies screaming in pain, watched them go down less than a foot away from me from enemy fire, and watched helplessly as his screams eventually silenced.

I have never felt this kind of emotional connection to a game before, much less a freaking online shooter. This game has the potential to be pure gold, and I have no doubt that Tripwire will make it so.
^This

I think they improved on RO1 in pretty much every aspect.

I thought RO1 was already very immersive, but RO2 tops it big time!

Most immersive shooter I have played in my life... And I've played alot of shooter since the days of cs,rtcw,quake3, bf, cod, moh etc.
When they fix the remaining bugs then this will be one of the (if not the) most immersive mp-shooter ever created!

Upvote 0
i have to agree, i spent a few hours playing mostly on fallen fighters and wow, we rushed in dove for cover, i saw my teammates falling all around me, i cowered in a crater for a while. when stopped freaking out i was alone so i popped a few long range shots off and went for central park. by the time i got there, crawling most of the way i was joined by a bunch of team mates, never been so happy to see them. i was just great fun.

Upvote 0
I'm no longer trudging through killzones like I have cement shoes, I'm sprinting, diving for cover, and praying that a stray shot doesn't clip my behind. I've followed several of my comrades crouch-running through trenches only to have the guy in front of me get blown to bits by a grenade, his corpse raining down on us while we all dive for prone. I've played a game of cat and mouse with an enemy sniper, armed only with my trusty Mosin-Nagant, finally getting the drop on him from a sneaky perch and ending his reign of terror on my comrades. I have heard my allies screaming in pain, watched them go down less than a foot away from me from enemy fire, and watched helplessly as his screams eventually silenced.

It's cool you're liking the game so far, but all of this was in ROOST too. The faster RO2 mechanics are NOT what are enabling these experiences.

---

Reactions: Mike_Nomad
Upvote 0
At first I was kinda let down by it, it just didn't feel right. Many years of RO mod and retail jumping to RO2 wasn't as smooth as I thought it would be. Shooting and moving were different enough to alienete me.

But now it's starting to grow on me. No longer am I messing with the zoom and cover, they come as a second nature now. Had to change some settings like mouse sensitivity little faster, so it feels more like in RO1 while aiming.

Upvote 0
RO1 and RO2 (and I do plan to continue playing RO1, it's great) but I can respect them for being two very different games.

Personally, I think this is one of the most important things to keep in mind in evaluating RO2. While I have only just barely skimmed the surface of RO1, I can certainly see how a long time ROOST player could be a little put off by RO2. I think that some of the purists may be looking at HoS more as an expansion pack to ROOST than viewing it as it's own game.

Not to imply that those people's views are wrong, as I'm certainly unqualified to make comparisons between the two games. That said, I just believe that coming in with certain expectations that have been built over years of playing the predecessor may lead to a bias that, perhaps unfairly, colors one's perception of RO2.

One of the things I always try to keep in mind with sequels, and I personally think it's an extremely important consideration, is that the lenses of nostalgia are often rose colored.

Upvote 0
The potentially epic scale of the game is grabbing me. Been playing Fallen Fighters...my first experiences were bad because it was the countdown (or maybe even firefight?) battles - I'm still not sure I understand the difference -- but it was just in a corner of the map and I hated it. Just a suicide charge.

But playing it several times in TE mode is so different.. it's just amazing how they modeled the entire center of Stalingrad (to scale, if I understand) and we are moving in and about it, every once in awhile a scene of soldiers advancing in front of me will give me weird chills. There is definitely something going on here.
Completely agree here.

I switched to the AT role during a game last night, to knock out a roving Pz. IV that was keeping most of our team pinned down, and had an epic :IS2: encounter with the beast. After immobilizing it with my AT rifle (using up all my ammo in the process), I had to close on the tank to deliver the final coup de gras with AT 40 grenades. Of course I was finally cut down by German infantry fire, but I felt my actions were right out of the annals of Stalingrad's heroic actions (game-wise that is).

Fallen Fighters can be an amazing battle map and gaming experience.

Upvote 0
My first impressions where terrible mainly because I joined either a countdown server or a firefight server....didn't realise about the game modes...

I have since had some good times on the TE gamemode....it has a fair way to go yet for me to equal the feeling of RO....I'm very worried about there being no transports as they where needed on combined ops maps in RO and those maps where amazing...

The game for me is in no way written off....I can see it becoming as good or even better than RO was in it's time....

One thing needs to be stamped out and thats the amount of cheaters on the servers....unsavoury idiots who obviously never were involved in the RO community at all.

One last point how come Apartments is more or less the Danzig map from RO IF it has been modeled on Stalingrad?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the music far more than I originally gave it credit for.

The only things that stands out from it in terms of being dynamically-generated are the Russian 'triumphal theme', which is a bit naff, and the Russian music being significantly better than the German music. The choral stuff is particularly good.

Second impressions of FF map are worse than the first. This is merely a map that I would play once in a blue moon when I'm fed up of the maps I actually like.

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing your second impressions, guys.. I think I agree with all of you on some aspect or another ;) - both good and bad - about the beta.

I will post some enduring gripes that I have:

--Prone just feels broken, at least most of the time. Either I can't go prone, or if I do it next to a wall, I can't turn around, sometimes can't even turn sideways. If I try to back up, sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. It's driving me absolutely bonkers! There are so many situations that require being prone but usually I'm scared to even try it because it gets me so messed up, and I die. I hope this is something they place priority on fixing.

--I haven't really used the cover system so I can't speak on people's concerns about that.

-- Bringing up the chat screen - I agree with others who say you should be able to escape out of it (that is, press "esc", not "enter"). It's counter-intuitive to have to press enter, and it happens so often (by accident) it really messes with flow of the game.

--Many times I've brought up the scoreboard and don't know how to make it go away again. After jacking with it for so long I just have to escape and role-choose again, and then continue. I've died more than once due to this nonsense, and one time it was in a tank with others who were depending on me to get off a shot. I couldn't see because of the blasted scoreboard!

-- I don't like all the inane chatter, I don't care for the music (compared to RO1, which was more melancholy but urgent and dark), don't like the english vocalizations - but I understand these are things I can change (or mute, in the case of the music) in my own settings.

So those are my most prominent complaints. In the meantime, I'm having fun playing the game, in fact much moreso than I was a few nights ago - so for me, that's a great sign! :)

Upvote 0