• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can you still hip-fire LMGs?

Not only hip-fire, but I hope also shoulder fire while aiming through the sights like a rifle is included for both 34 and the 27 - it was possible with both of them

As you can see this with mg-34 in minute 2:07 of this vid:

Browning 1919A4 vs. German MG-34 Part 2 - YouTube

I feel like this defeats the purpose of the class. I realize it isn't quite as realistic, but I feel like it would make the MG class just another assault class.

Reactions: Rattler and u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
I feel like this defeats the purpose of the class. I realize it isn't quite as realistic, but I feel like it would make the MG class just another assault class.

Except that's exactly what they were designed to do in the Light Machine Gun role. They were multi-purpose, to assault as well as provide cover.

Also, its not the same as a rifle or smg, because LMGs are big long heavy things (yes, I know, that's what she said) so they're more unwieldy than a rifle. LMGs weigh about 20lbs, rifles around 8lbs, smgs like 4-6 lbs.

With its single shot trigger, the MG-34 could be fired just like a big, heavy rifle with no problem. But of course this would be wasting its potential. So there's really no reason shoulder-fire shouldn't be in. It's realistic and totally awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
I always felt like I was spewing inaccurate hell in the direction I hip fired in.
Lol yeah you'll look like your signature... And it will be accurate as star wars stormtroopers did have mg34's

The mg34 is a heavy lmg. Its hard to do it even with the recoil helping sustain somewhat good aim, but from what I've been told, it is possible to shoulder fire, but not that accurate at medium to long distances. Good for killing targets not very far away. From personal experience with handling it for long periods of time, the mg34 gets very tiresome, and I have shoulder fired it with blanks, but the blanks do not give really any recoil so I could not hold it up to my shoulder for very long.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Except that's exactly what they were designed to do in the Light Machine Gun role. They were multi-purpose, to assault as well as provide cover.

Also, its not the same as a rifle or smg, because LMGs are big long heavy things (yes, I know, that's what she said) so they're more unwieldy than a rifle. LMGs weigh about 20lbs, rifles around 8lbs, smgs like 4-6 lbs.

With its single shot trigger, the MG-34 could be fired just like a big, heavy rifle with no problem. But of course this would be wasting its potential. So there's really no reason shoulder-fire shouldn't be in. It's realistic and totally awesome!

I think you said it best: "...but of course this would be wasting its potential." If people are given the option to use it more like an assault rifle, they will. Limiting it's use to it's primary function is an effective way of making players use it for, well, it's primary function. Also, if it is more unwieldy than a rifle or SMG, why would you want to use it that way?

"...it should still be there when you need it..."

That's what the hip fire is for!

Limiting it's use also promotes teamwork, because it makes players rely on each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thats because you are not doing it right...its actualy not that hard ...if you fire long bursts like a retard its no wonder you dont hit anything. :D
That's exactly how you hit something, because you can use the delicious tracers to hone in on the target.:p
And thanks to the ridiculous 5 point bonus you can be sure Hans and Franz are only a respawn away from resupplying you with more ammo anyway.:D

Yes, it's in.
That's what she said.

Upvote 0
It was never practical but it was a fun feature.

It is very practical if done right.... I hip fired the MG34 just a few days ago. I was heading towards a doorway where a couple of russians were mowing down my team as they entered and nobody seemed to be able to get in..... then I hugged the side of the door, prepped myself for hip shooting, and swung around the door and unloaded three quick bursts.

One Russian was prone and up close, another was a distance away behind a counter and the third was all the way on the other wall at the other side of the room..... all killed in about 1.5 seconds.

Back in the mod, whenever we were in the mode of rolling over the enemy, I'd take the point when entering an area and sweep the area with MG fire, then move to the side, go prone and setup cover, while the rest of the team moved in and cleaned up.

Works wonders.... either as russian or german MG.

Upvote 0