• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

....why do companies ignore single player?

I really think that you'd enjoy the multiplayer to because its not as much about getting kills as its about working toghether towards an objective and even if you don't get a single kille you might contribute to the victory by laying down supressive fire, capture objectives and point out enemy troops for your team. You get points for all teamplay actions!

Upvote 0
Sinlge player lasts about 10 hours max, multiplayer lasts 10 months.

I'd prefer it if every developer stopping making single player games and focused on multi instead.

I was very disappointed when I found out BF3 has a single player. That's time and money being taken away from multiplayer development (the only reason people play BF games).

Upvote 0
Sinlge player lasts about 10 hours max, multiplayer lasts 10 months.

I'd prefer it if every developer stopping making single player games and focused on multi instead.

I was very disappointed when I found out BF3 has a single player. That's time and money being taken away from multiplayer development (the only reason people play BF games).

The only reason I play any console game is for single player so I don't know what you're talking about.

Only time I play a "console" game's multi-player is BF2's Project Reality Mod and that's only on PC.

Upvote 0
go play games like the witcher, fallout, merto 2033, mass effect, batman arkham asylum, assassins creed, portal, half life. they are all great for single player i think there as much AAA single player games as multiplayer ones.

and single player games are usually short because they usually have abetter multiplayer. the witcher 2 is 40 hours for example, which has no multiplayer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not just singleplayer though is it, what about the co-op campaign? The AI for me was very dissapointing as most of them just ran around aimlessly, I wish they would have put a bit more effort in to the AI, even on Hero mode it is very easy to win a game without your squad members. Some scripted AI sequences would have been nice for example, but right now it's very easy to win the game just on your own, so it must be even easier to win it with two people or more.

Upvote 0
I don't think the campaigns took them that much time to organize. As much effort probably went in to the VO portion of it and the intro screens as the maps, since they're derived so much from MP.

I thought the SP was ok. Could be better as a sort of sandbox if the AI did more of what it's supposed to. Currently it's great at attacking a point en masse. Anything more finessed than that and it may just ignore you.

Upvote 0
Its actually sort of fun...

I've spent hundreds of hours making custom singleplayer/coop missions in ARMA2, and i think i might want to do that here if it permits.

If i can, im gonna try making a mission (coop once that addon is live) using the sdk, complete with primary and secondary objectives. Also i'm gonna see if i can transfer those variable from 1 mission to the next.

So for example, in mission 1 you have secondary objective to prevent the soviets from blowing up a bridge or whatever. You complete the primary but fail the secondary.

In mission 2, since teh soviets blew up that bridge the friendly panzer column that you were to link up with in mission 2 is delay and therefor you will have no armor support.

Essentially making a dynamic campaign. I figure there are gonna be tons of multiplayer mods, so i might as well work on a coop/singleplayer mod.

sorry for the tangent, but yeah SP isnt thaaaat bad.

You mean like what did during the early '00? God that horrible for gaming and IMHO part of the reason why PC gaming dipped down for years...

Thankfully we were rescued by Half Life

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thankfully we were rescued by Half Life

Half Life was 1998 a year before the madness and even then I got it late, Uplink was such a awesome demo it made me buy the game. MP only game are not just profitable, why? Just go and look at steam statistics and see that Counter Strike (source and 1.6) are the most played mutiplayer shooters on the market place despite being quite old, its hard to break into that that market.

Can an MP only game be called great? Do you remember when Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament were at each other's throats saying they their game was better but the only games of that era we really can remember are Half Life, Deus Ex and No One Lives Forever? All of which are single player focused...

Last edited:
Upvote 0