• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suppression is pointless + other gripes

tauris

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2010
The only time I ever see the white suppression thing on my screen is half a second before I see I've been killed.

Guns, especially SMGs (and I know this has been flogged to death already) are way too accurate at sub 100 meter distances.
While this may be 'realistic', it doesn't work in RO2.
Their accuracy should be reduced by about 40% (they'll still be lethal).
Thus, suppression is a game mechanic that can just as well be removed.

Other gripes :-

The god damn talking, it's got me killed literally 2 dozen times now.
We're trying to play stealthily me and my friend, then I randomly shout EVERY 7 SECONDS A GERMAN DIES IN STALINGRAD, TICK TOCK FRITZ, TICK TOCK!

While these are funny, and the whole sound system in game is fantastic (hearing people walking in buildings etc), this is completely retarded in its implementation.
Maybe in a heated firefight there'd be some shouting, but just randomly when we're trying some tactical gameplay?
Annoying as hell.
This should be a mechanic of the relaxed realism servers, please say this isn't going on realism servers - or they simply don't deserve the name.

The sheer number of SMG's, semi autos and machine guns.
They should make up 10-20% of a team, presently they make up about 50-60% of the team.
I don't need to explain why this is silly.

Please don't turn this into a historical debate, this is purely about gameplay.

I have been under cover and MG fire and can tell you the supression works...
And for the PPsh ratios... there were entire brigades equipped with SMG in the Soviet Army...

Firstly, I asked for this not to be turned into a quasi historical debate, so did you just ignore this?

Secondly, was every single brigade equipped with 60% + SMGs and semi autos?

Because every single map has this loadout.

Upvote 0
"battle chatter" reminds me of this scene in the film Stalingrad (watch from 1.55 onwards)... Stalingrad movie - Storming the Factory - YouTube ...When the German soldier shoots his rifle accidentally at 2:54. Except replace that with your avatar randomly shouting something like "IM TIREEEEEEEED!" and your whole squad getting shot. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Battle chatter needs to go.

Reactions: 11_HARLEY_11
Upvote 0
Other gripes :-

The god damn talking, it's got me killed literally 2 dozen times now.
We're trying to play stealthily me and my friend, then I randomly shout EVERY 7 SECONDS A GERMAN DIES IN STALINGRAD, TICK TOCK FRITZ, TICK TOCK!

While these are funny, and the whole sound system in game is fantastic (hearing people walking in buildings etc), this is completely retarded in its implementation.
Maybe in a heated firefight there'd be some shouting, but just randomly when we're trying some tactical gameplay?
Annoying as hell.
This should be a mechanic of the relaxed realism servers, please say this isn't going on realism servers - or they simply don't deserve the name.

+1. Can't stand the stupid taunts. I don't want to hear them and I CERTAINLY don't want them giving away my position. :mad:

On the other hand, SMG numbers are about right. I can't stand using the bolt-action rifles due to what I think may be an issue with the netcode, but I do very well with an SMG and when I do die, it's often to people who are ace with a rifle. Therefore, I am quite happy with the balance of gun types as-is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with the suppression.

It seems useless and random.

Sometimes 4 smg's shooting at a wall I'm hiding behind, gives me 0 suppression.
Sometimes a single stray bullet will send me into suppression for the rest of my live.
The rest of the time, in the very rare occassions in which surpressed, I move a bit, and 2 seconds later the suppression is gone.

It really needs some tweaking/fixing. I can;t see the hero ability (the one that reduces suppression slightlyfor teammates in the vicinity) be usefull with the current state of the suppression.

But then again every single bullets hits every target from any range a 100% of the time, so I dont see how people would live long enough to get supressed, and have that hero ability have any use.

Upvote 0
Get better at bolting? honestly smg's are not a problem if you play the game longer then 30min before *****ing on a forum. and suppression is far from pointless, again play longer then 30 min / play with actual team work.

I swear the SMG complaints, COD fiends, and the vocal RO1 vets are a plague that needs to be wiped out. I'm sorry you have never shot a weapon before, I'm sorry you cant run farther then 10 feet before your exhausted, I'm sorry. I really am, but that doesnt stop the fact that the whiners are a sorry group that needs to to be quiet. It's like the race car driver that blames every thing on the car, meanwhile everyone else is learning their new car, studying it, and learning what they need to do with it to be successful. Wait for mods to come out, be a man, do the right thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are many things in the game that are pointless. Suppression, bandaging, recon planes, spotting, squads, etc. For the most part all of the design elements borrowed from other games are done badly. But these are things they spent time on and are here to stay but I do agree there are far too many specialty weapons in the current build. The problem is the squad system and every time a new squad opens it adds more of everything even though other squads still have open roles. These were my thoughts from the closed beta forum:

[QUOTE=Keyser_S

Upvote 0
suppression is brilliant.

suppression means that good twitch players can't just pop out and unrealistically crown 6 guys one-by-one, because they'd be jaded by that annoying shakey gray screen.

it makes a hell of a difference and it will make a bigger difference when people start to employ some team play... smger spraying down corridor, enemy pops out to insta frag him and gets jaded so you pop him in the face and save your smg mate.

despite the obvious impact on gameplay, it's also a cool aesthetic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been under cover and MG fire and can tell you the supression works...
And for the PPsh ratios... there were entire brigades equipped with SMG in the Soviet Army...

Yes thats true but there where no such German brigades at this time and face it, you have to balance the game somewhat and because of the germans lack of SMG-squads the enemy should be a rifle brigade for the sake of balance, don't you agree?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes thats true but there where no such German brigades at this time and face it, you have to balance the game somewhat and becouse of the germans lack of SMG-squads the enemy should be a riflebrigade for the sake of balance, don't you agree?

i think you should wait for a 'rifles only' mod.

rifles are pretty boring unless you're the type who enjoys hiding somewhere outside the cap, aiming towards the cap i.e. not doing anything useful 95% of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: HLudwig and sMiTo
Upvote 0
I swear the SMG complaints, COD fiends, and the vocal RO1 vets are a plague that needs to be wiped out.
You sire are very welcome in our little lair of madness..it is, with exeptions, actualy your kind of people we where hessitant to try to acept in ro : ost. Have a nice time and enjoi the ride.

Actualy it becomes very disturbing in the sheer dimensions that people are unable to differantiate...*sighn*

Whouldent it be the easy solution to just cut off the chatter when in enemy territory ? ugh...

Last edited:
Reactions: Colt .45 killer
Upvote 0
I agree with the suppression.

It seems useless and random.

Sometimes 4 smg's shooting at a wall I'm hiding behind, gives me 0 suppression.
Sometimes a single stray bullet will send me into suppression for the rest of my live.
The rest of the time, in the very rare occassions in which surpressed, I move a bit, and 2 seconds later the suppression is gone.

It really needs some tweaking/fixing. I can;t see the hero ability (the one that reduces suppression slightlyfor teammates in the vicinity) be usefull with the current state of the suppression.

But then again every single bullets hits every target from any range a 100% of the time, so I dont see how people would live long enough to get supressed, and have that hero ability have any use.

Every time I see peter griffin I know I'm in for a level headed opinion, so I'm taking some time to explain some stuff I've gleaned on suppression.

While I don't know why the suppression wasn't working when they were hammering at your cover (it normally does for me,) I do think if your cursor is right over a friendly or you are staring at him/standing next to him when he dies, you get demoralized and suppressed even if you never were shot at yourself. I think this works doubly so for the squad leader, so keep him covered and if you shoot anyone while he is near you get extra points/experience.

TWI really needs to explain the moral system because no one is really getting it (including me) all I know is if someone dies near you your character goes wacko, and I think it makes you cap slower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maizel
Upvote 0
Get better at bolting? honestly smg's are not a problem if you play the game longer then 30min before *****ing on a forum. and suppression is far from pointless, again play longer then 30 min / play with actual team work.

I swear the SMG complaints, COD fiends, and the vocal RO1 vets are a plague that needs to be wiped out. I'm sorry you have never shot a weapon before, I'm sorry you cant run farther then 10 feet before your exhausted, I'm sorry. I really am, but that doesnt stop the fact that the whiners are a sorry group that needs to to be quiet. It's like the race car driver that blames every thing on the car, meanwhile everyone else is learning their new car, studying it, and learning what they need to do with it to be successful. Wait for mods to come out, be a man, do the right thing.

This basically. SMGs tend to have the upperhand in close quarters but I have absolutely no problem taking these guys out with a bolt action rifle the majority of the time.

Upvote 0