• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How will soldiers enter the battle? Alternative to simple teleport spawning

sturmfuhrer

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2010
Basically I was wondering if this would be a feasable option for entering the Area of Operations for the first time before a battle.

For the Axis Armies I was thinking perphaps entering the battlefield on the backs of their panzers or spawning at the very edge of the map next to a few static trucks - to give the impression they have just been offloaded would be a nice addition. Similarily for the Soviets they could also do as previously mentioned but also possibly arrive via Locomotive or boat i.e the Volga River in the Stalingrad map. What do you guys think? Would be a lot more immersive that suddenly appearing in the middle of the battlefield without any percieved idea of how you got there.

Sturm

Spawning next to trucks or boats and such doesn't sound that hard to make happen, afaik it only requires the mapper to set up such a spawn - another cool thing to do would be to add some stacked up sandbags or planks or anything really that enables the infantry to climb up on to the engine deck of tanks, as that would be the easiest way to simulate tank-riding without any additional code required. It was done that way in a couple of custom RO maps (Narva being one of them) and worked quite nicely, iirc.

Upvote 0
It'd be very cool if the soldiers are brought into battle by AI driven halftracks/bren carriers. The halftrack could start a couple of hundred meters from spawn and get filled up as soldiers die on the front. That way, waiting to spawn wont be as boring in no spectate servers. Also, the effects on immersion would be awesome, you wouldn't as an invincible soldier that just reappears after getting shot.

Just a thought, might be hard to implement. First problem that comes to mind is what if there are soldiers behind the lines? Can they blow up the spawn vehicles?

Upvote 0
Sounds really great for a single player game, and some of the maps. The problem with the suggestion is they're dealing with the city and Battle of Stalingrad. That means all the Soviet forces will arrive by ferry across the Volga to the Eastern banks, generally at the same or one of a few points for the whole city, then march or be driven (less likely, I think) to each map. That could take up to half an hour or so for each spawn depending on how many miles the battle is from the arrival area.

For the Germans, after the encirclement, there really weren't any reinforcements arriving. So you'd have to spawn inside the "kessel."

Not to mention I can't see how this would be compatible with the spawn on squad leader / team spawning system.

Again I could see this implemented for the start of the single player campaign game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am more concerned that you will be spawning right in the middle of the action. It is better for everybody to spawn in the protected area (where the enemy cannot go) because then it will not produce situations where somebody spawns behind you.

For large 64 player maps, spawning all the way back in your protected area may not be practical. But at least you should spawn far enough so you cannot appear behind or too close to the enemy.

Upvote 0
A good way to make it more "real" would be to put a first person animation in...so when you are in first person...atleast at the beggining of the game...it looks as if your jumpimlng of back of said truck or. Train...and when you get a new spawn point they. Could either move the trucks up. Or have a new type of spawn...like a train..and you open the doors in first person when your spawning...hope eveyonr understands what im trying. To depict lol

Upvote 0
TWI already stated you will spawn in protected areas near your squad leader. So you can join up with your unit quickly, but don't have to worry about getting mowed down right away along with the weirdness of having people appear right next to the squad leader (which is annoying for the defense, when they pop in at cap territory).

Upvote 0
I like the idea of hopping out of trucks/off of tanks. Reminds me a little of COH where the special units arrive from the off-map roads. They could have like convoys that periodically drive across designated spawn areas, then when you unload from the truck, you are officially "spawned". Then the trucks drive off the map and return with fresh reinforcements.

Upvote 0
I torn between the idea of them smashing through their coffins and clawing their ways back out of the ground.....

or 18 years iof their life from childbirth to adulthood condensed down into a brief video rush. mother dressing her son for first day at school... falling out of that tree, first kiss, putting on first military uniform... wham!

holding a gun in Stalingrad.

Upvote 0
i torn between the idea of them smashing through their coffins and clawing their ways back out of the ground.....

Or 18 years iof their life from childbirth to adulthood condensed down into a brief video rush. Mother dressing her son for first day at school... Falling out of that tree, first kiss, putting on first military uniform... Wham!

Holding a gun in stalingrad.

yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeesssssssss!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
18 years of their life from childbirth to adulthood condensed down into a brief video rush.
mother dressing her son for first day at school... falling out of that tree, first kiss, putting on first military uniform... wham!

holding a gun in Stalingrad.

I think this idea is brilliant!

Too bad I doubt we will see this ever in a TW game - or even in a videogame at all... :rolleyes:
maybe in 20 years...

Upvote 0
Respectfully, I believe it would be more likely that the Soviets would arrive in trucks than their German counterparts, seeing as the Soviets received large numbers of Studebaker trucks on lend-lease from the Americans, whereas the Germans were not always so lucky

url

Upvote 0