• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New engine

obliterati

Dec 24, 2009
So i realize this request is ridiculous for a mod, but this game is always going to be broken until you can penetrate through walls, and i dotn think the unreal engine can handle that (can it?).

Elevated and covered shooters receive too much of an advantage from the cover and angle. The game focus's too much on pillbox like elevated positions with cover (like an apartment window), but only provides a handful of locations to shoot from at the same time making fire come from predictable yet formidable locations.

What it should do is provide maps that have many many firing locations, but once a shooter is located, you can punch through the thin wall hes hiding behind with relative ease to get him.

Right now there are some locations on danzig for instance that you cant kill the guy in a window unless you know the exact pixel to shoot at, and thats just not realistic with a 8mm rifle at 50 yards with light building materials between you.

Are you talking about Ostfront or Heroes of Stalingrad? Because bullet penetration is confirmed for Heroes.

Oh wow, i was not aware of this. sry for a redundant post then :)

EDIT: alright well ill change this from the previous to: make maps with more open areas. Closed off buildings with unusable areas and predictable firing positions limits the game severely in ro.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the dude is right in some way hockeywarrior. RO features many maps where buildings are not accesable but they should be. Since I experienced the ****load called Kharkov, which was back in the mod days, I get feel violated by any maps which kinda resemble the shape of this mess. Seriously what kind of city map is this: 2 streets running through a mass of buildings of which you actually can't enter one. Very very funny when the enemy tank came down the street and you couldn't hide anywhere.

As a mapper I somehow know that the UE2.0 and the UE2.5 are somewhat limited in displaying objects in the map. But now with the UE3.0 there's finally no excuses left why a building in a map is not accessable, except the buildings has no floors left. But simply closed doors that can't be opened to prevent players walk in are just a mess. Same mess were and still are several maps in wartorn cities which got houses with the electric lights still burning. Particularly some maps seem to feature enlightened rooms or lights directly above the window but inside the room, so the shooter at the window is highlighted and easily to take out. Makes me wanna puke ... :mad:

A very high advantage of RO and it's penetration system will be that there's no hit idicator. It's quite curious that in CoD games players randomly shoot the walls, now if they see the hit indicator they fire their entire magazin into the wall in the hope to kill the target. Gladly this game here has no hit indicator and this makes it really interesting.

Upvote 0
[...]
As a mapper I somehow know that the UE2.0 and the UE2.5 are somewhat limited in displaying objects in the map. But now with the UE3.0 there's finally no excuses left why a building in a map is not accessible, except the buildings has no floors left.
[...]
even with UE3 there are "excuses"
1. Map Balance
2. Performance, still.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
even with UE3 there are "excuses"
1. Map Balance
2. Performance, still.

Performance, well yes. :eek: But map balance, well actually no. If I imagine with HoS making like 60 players at max and 5-7 rifleman share one window ... no!!!:eek:

Okay now for real, not exactly any room must be accessable but I had many occasions I would slap the mapper in reality. Like yet mentioned Kharkov with no hiding spots for infantry, I know it's from the mod but it still breeds anger.

And yet new maps still lack multiple attack routes. Meaning I feel like a German in CoD singleplayer, I got no chance on survival as there are like 3 exists of a building and all are covered by about 5 men. Doesn't seem fair, does it.
There should be more abilities to get to an objective and also more abilities to shoot at the enemy.

Upvote 0
[...]But map balance, well actually no. If I imagine with HoS making like 60 players at max and 5-7 rifleman share one window ... no!!!:eek:[...]

imagine it the other way: 20 windows in each of them one player(try to shoot one and get shoot by 4 others).

i for my self hope the default will be 32 and that maplayout is for 32 players. the reason for that is clanwars.. in RO most clanwars are played 8vs8 which is already a lot compared to other shooters. know when default player amount would be ~60 all maps would be build for 60 players with would require like ~12vs12 matches. some might say nice, 12vs12 would be epic and yes would be for some time, but as soon as the game gets older clans would have huge trouble to field 12 player. clan community would die rather quickly or would hardly exsist to begin with. [insert "RO is dead comment" here].

Upvote 0
Making a map for 16 to 64 players means that you probably end up with a map that works for any player account but is good for none. Its probably best to have a diversity of maps, some focussing on smaller player amounts, some on bigger. Just so the map can be more optimal to a certain target audience.

Smearing the butter too thin over the bread ain't ideal either. Next to that actual variety is nice including map and player size.

Upvote 0
I'm an idiot i really am so can anyone confirm me that i can shoot through a brick wall with a Mauser 98 or a Mosin Nagant rifle.
A lot of variables are involved. The angle of the shot has a lot to do with it. Also, cinder block > brick in most cases. Stone > cinder block. I would suspect too that the interior walls of buildings of this era were plaster as opposed to sheet rock, too. (just guessing though).

This video is long, is edited and in two parts. Somewhat edited for the calibers we'd be interested in. Informative but a really boring presentation:
YouTube - Concealment does NOT equal Cover, Pt. 1
YouTube - Concealment does NOT equal Cover Pt 2.

They don't call 'em hard drives for nothin'...:D
<takes a while to get to the good stuff>
YouTube - 7.62 x 54 R vs. Stack of Hard Drives

Upvote 0
This thread isn't fail because his ideas or suggestions are bad. I only said it's fail because this is something very easy to find out by merely using the search option, or looking at the RO Facts thread. It's posted in multiple places that the game has confirmed bullet penetration.

Didn't mean to be an asshole, just meant to say, albeit in an indirect way, to use search before asking questions. It's fail because pretty much all of his questions could have been easily and quickly answered by it.

And on topic, of course it would be great to have a game with completely destructible environments, but it's been discussed many times (again, the search function) and it isn't practical, especially with current technologies and UE3 in particular.

Last edited:
Upvote 0