• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Various bits of help I'm enquiring about

HuNteR-

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2011
Up there, in the trees...
Hello everyone, it has been a while sinse I last posted here, hope you aint all forgot me.

As you're aware I am making A Mutator for KF called "The Rotting" it is heavy on specimen variations, most of which are already complete and are ready for the testing grounds, but others I feel require a bit more tweaking, something to make them stand out.

So with that being said, I open the forum to the following bits of help I require:

1.) I'm aware you can import & export models to and from the game to 3d Max, my question is do the animations export with them or are they completely seperate?

I ask this because looking at the doom 3 mutator, it was imported with full models and animations, so it can be done, my question is how?

2.) Due to lack of time on my side and I want to get this mutator out as soon as possible really, I'm looking for someone who might be able to edit some specimen models for me, or if not for me, give me an extensive tutorial on how to do it so I can work on it.

For example I'm looking at taking the metal mesh off of the fleshpound.

3.) As much as I've looked into mapping for KF, I just can't grasp the engine, with more time I would learn it, but I dont have time, so it isn't an option, so I ask for a second time now, I am looking for a mapper to map at least 3 levels, they don't have to be high flying this is the total bomb!, just some basic levels that can ship with the mod upon release, please help me, you would be working on a good cause trust me.

Any help on any of those 3 would be greatly appreciated, I'm aware I'm unliked by a few of the modding community, but I'm not looking at a personal war, I'm looking at the bigger picture, which is lots and lots of Killing Floor fans enjoying a brilliant mutator, and I know that putting personal feelings aside, you can help me in my time of need.

Thank you.

Last edited:
you can use umodel to export the ukx packages, then use actorximporter to import the psa's/psk's into 3dsmax.

Thank you, i'll have a look into that.

Its been a while since i did unreal maps, but i could look into it :/ Is there a general theme or idea that you have for them? If i knew your expectations i'd have a better idea of whether or not they're within my limited capabilities :p

Thank you for the offer to help, I'm just looking for some pretty basic maps really, the theme of the Mutator is Rotting, but in terms of locations and settings, I dont really have an expectation, so anything Is on the table at this time.

A few ideas could be a military stronghold of some kind, a testing lab maybe or even a city level.

I'm happy with anything, aslong as its something new to roll out with the mod.

Hope that helps and hope you decide to help, Its greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
so put umodel.exe and its other files into animations dir.

(if you have windows 7) shift+rmb on animation dir, then "open command window here"
then type umodel -export -all kf_freaks_trip.ukx

it should then create a kf_freaks dir with all the psk's and psa's inside.

then in 3dsmax make a new script (cant remember exactly) and run actorximporter to either import just the mesh, or the mesh+animation.

then just mess with it and export it out in actorx, then import in ued.

Reactions: HuNteR-
Upvote 0
so put umodel.exe and its other files into animations dir.

(if you have windows 7) shift+rmb on animation dir, then "open command window here"
then type umodel -export -all kf_freaks_trip.ukx

it should then create a kf_freaks dir with all the psk's and psa's inside.

then in 3dsmax make a new script (cant remember exactly) and run actorximporter to either import just the mesh, or the mesh+animation.

then just mess with it and export it out in actorx, then import in ued.

Thank you, export to PSA & PSK's all sorted, now to import them into 3d max, fingers crossed, just installing max now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lol, yeah i hear that, i have learned to not update my graphics drivers from many bad experiences with stuff not working, so now i just use the ones that came with the card, which work just fine for everything.

ro_sauce you are a legend, I've imported, edited and I am one happy camper, just need to export back to a PSK, then export the PSK and PSA back to a UKX file, but either way I have been able to edit the models which I am happy about.

Thank you mate.

EDIT: I have the models, how do I import the skin textures?

EDIT EDIT: I modify the models, but when exporting them it just reverts them back to their original state, any ideas?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3.) As much as I've looked into mapping for KF, I just can't grasp the engine, with more time I would learn it, but I dont have time, so it isn't an option, so I ask for a second time now, I am looking for a mapper to map at least 3 levels, they don't have to be high flying this is the total bomb!, just some basic levels that can ship with the mod upon release, please help me, you would be working on a good cause trust me.

I could probably make a map after Im done with the theme map for WPC, but I doubt I'll have time for more than one unless they are rly small.

Reactions: HuNteR-
Upvote 0
okay, PSA contains all the Animation Data, PSK is the Skeleton and Mesh, you use Gildor's Actor X importer and do edit/delete parts from a model you use Element to select parts of objects.

Thank you very much Sorrow, its really really appreciated, I know we didn't get off on the right foot, but I really appreciate the help mate.

I could probably make a map after Im done with the theme map for WPC, but I doubt I'll have time for more than one unless they are rly small.

Thats fantastic thank you, even if there is only 1 it would make it all worth it, much appreciated.

EDIT: So when I come to export, I read I need to export an ASE file, then import a mesh into the animations tab of the KFed, only when I do that, it doesn't appear in the list, it says new object, but doesn't appear to be seen, any help?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
no u dont need to export ASE, that is for static meshes.

you export a psk and psa file, and open them in KF animations tab.
one has the mesh, the other has the animations.
then in kf animation in the display tab you tell the mesh to use the texture u want.
i think, i might have missed a few things...

:D I'm in 3d max, I have my Model, its ready and waiting but I can't find an export to PSK option, even with the actor x export it has export to fbx, ase or max.

I think I may need another program or script here

Upvote 0
ok fantastic news, I have done it with only 1 error lol

The model is in, the skin is on, the animations are fired up

Now the problem, it seems to have been imported sideways and when the animations are played the skin goes all crazy, I'm assuming its me thats rotated the model in 3d max?

If not, I'm not sure

EDIT: Pictures

fp1.jpg

fp2broken.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0