• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2: Ostfront 1941-1945 (or Heroes of the Eastern Front)

i too cannot understand why they restricted themselves to stalingrad if they werent planning on maintaining historical integrity.

they should have just cover the whole of eastern front like you said; from operation barbarossa to the fall of berlin. it would obviously include stalingrad, as well some other battles like kursk, seelow heights, etc.

i dont think anyone would be complaining about the stg44 in game if it was actually used in the battle.

too late. mods will save us all

Upvote 0
a game overhaul...are you kidding me!!!??!? the game needs an overhaul as it is right now (im lucky had have goo performance and almost no bugs..mabeys its because i played RnL 1.5 and have a tollerance) becaue of its bugs.

however, adding in tanks, maps, and some more weapons for a OST style RO2, we would need the abilty to pick what tank you wanted to spawn in.

mods will be the key to realistic battles.

BUT THE BIGGEST THING WE NEED RIGHT NOW IS LARGE MAPS LIKE IN ROOST!!!!! sence the grafx are better, and the guns actually act like real guns...you can make a 500M shot with a 7.52x64R. i almost hit a deer at 600+ yards!! and i held right on, as my rilfe is sighteded in for like 350M. (i actually knew i should have held high, i was about a foot low, however, i was trying to find the rifles zero.) so 500 yards shots are possible.

in ro 1, therese shots were impossible becasue the fog would creat a "cant see ****" range, also you would have to hold off scope! with the range dails we can hold on scope at ranges up to 1200M or some crap.

so peopel are *****ing about getting owned my a 9mm at 100M...lets get some maps wherer you need to walk for 3 min to get clsoe to the battle and watch as people miss all the time at 500 yards!

moral of the long story......mods, expansions, but most of all, bigger maps!

Upvote 0
ENOUGH with all the negativity!! Please!!

Have you ever heard of the phrase the customer is always right?

ROOST players (who are most of the people left playing RO2) are not some whiney cry babies.

They played and loved ROOST for many years, despite of the fact that it was technically far behind the cutting edge of other FPSs, despite serious limitations of the Unreal 2.x engine.

If there is continuous discontent from the community, this leads to 2 conclusions: 1) that they actually have a point 2) that the devs aren't doing a good enough job in addressing peoples concerns*

* = (no, a couple of posts from Ramm saying "we know we ****ed up but trust us it will get better) does not count.

There are so many design decisions I have seen the MAJORITY of RO2 players have a problem with, but has never been directly addressed by the devs.

The fact is RO:OST launched in a far better condition than RO2 did, and what the community wanted and the game itself were FAR closer than what they are now. RO2 launched in FAR worse condition than its predecessor, and was MUCH further from what the community actually wanted because TWI was chasing the mainstream, as they took their core base for granted.

Why is it the community that should be blamed for not being happy with something they weren't told they were getting? All through the lead up to the game people were concerned about TWI's grab for the mainstream, (the MKBs, the bandages, the unlocks), yet all through that time TWI insisted that the new changes would not come at the expense of the old player base.

TWI lied, or at the very best are very confused about what the community wants.

It seems that they thought because killing floor did well with unlocks and arcade gameplay, that making RO2 like that would make it more of a success. But the market for Killing Floor is not the market for RO games.

Blame whatever sources you want, but 90% of the people who were playing at launch are no longer here. That means something, and the devs HAVE NOT done anything to earn confidence that things will be put right and loyal ROOST fans have not wasted their money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The whole Stalingrad feeling just isn't there at all for me, not even talking about gameplay features, where's the cold? Everybody is running around like it's summer. Do something with voices on winter maps, and if you stand still make your character do stuff to warm himself, whatever, just show that it is actually cold. Dress people up with decent winter clothing, especially Germans who improvised all sorts of things, not just ninja masks.

Every town looks like it's been hit by a small mortar and a hurricane past through, it should look like something which was hit by multiple huge bomber raids with bombs as heavy as 2000 Kg. On top of that the massive use of artillery and ground/buildings battered by ground attack aircraft ( IL2 Stuka ect.).

Upvote 0
ENOUGH with all the negativity!! Please!!

There is nothing really negative here.

We all want to help TWI to have more success, because we love RO1 (and KF, too), but we can`t understand why all we was waiting for is like it is now in RO2.
We have wait for a really good game about stalingrad.
But i am thinking that HoS can play everywhere, there isn`t any real stalingrad atmosphere.

For example: There is no native language available... is it so difficult to add a option for this feature in the config? forced Upgrades which was never used in Stalingrad.
If i am running around at FallenFighters i can`t feel the cold winter, or some fear it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you ever heard of the phrase the customer is always right?

Nobody believes that crap anymore.

Let's say the Customer is always right..... Which Customer is the right one?

All of us?? We're all customers..... We all have differing opinions, likes and dislikes towards the game.... so who does Tripwire listen to?

The person who pulls out the "The Customer is Always Right" Card First?

Nope.....

ROOST players (who are most of the people left playing RO2) are not some whiney cry babies.

Funny, most ROOst Players still around claim the majority of them already left.... and the majority of new players I see in both these forums and Steam's forums actually enjoy the game:

example:
First impressions from a latecomer
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2244003

And what about the players here still around who were around since the mods?

They played and loved ROOST for many years, despite of the fact that it was technically far behind the cutting edge of other FPSs, despite serious limitations of the Unreal 2.x engine.

If there is continuous discontent from the community, this leads to 2 conclusions: 1) that they actually have a point 2) that the devs aren't doing a good enough job in addressing peoples concerns*

They are already doing their best by trying to meet your complaints while still trying to fix the performance issues.... in the last patch they just released the SDK, fixed spawn camping issues on all the maps and reduced the assault/elite classes..... all of which most of you have been complaining about in the first place.

You can't expect to have everything you want thrown into the game all at once at the snap of a finger, and if that isn't good enough for you.... so us all how it's done.

* = (no, a couple of posts from Ramm saying "we know we ****ed up but trust us it will get better) does not count.

There are so many design decisions I have seen the MAJORITY of RO2 players have a problem with, but has never been directly addressed by the devs.

"Majority" is subjective to whoever is using it to suit their argument..... unless you have actual numbers and sources to back up your claim, claiming the majority of players have these issues is moot

Trip is indeed focusing on the issues "The Majority" of players wanted fixed.... which is mostly performance/bug fixes, the release of the SDK, spawn camping on some maps, reduction of the assault/elite classes.....

.... and before this, they reduced the MKB42's and semi-autos by isolating them to just the assault/elite classes, so that the squad leasers and commanders didn't have them.

This is all evidence that they are listening to the community and trying to change things to suit what the majority want..... thus, they are listening and they are not ignoring these more common issues.

They might not be making these changes as fast as you'd like them, but that's just too bad..... at least they're doing something.

The fact is RO:OST launched in a far better condition than RO2 did,

That's not what I remember...... it had it's issues and bugs, the community was just smaller than it is today and thus, less complaining..... that and all anybody else had to base RO1 on, was the Mod.

and what the community wanted and the game itself were FAR closer than what they are now.

ffs... I wish people would stop coming in here and telling us all "What the Community Wanted" because you, I and everybody else does not speak for the whole community.

RO2 launched in FAR worse condition than its predecessor

Even if it did, it's no surprise since RO2 has piles of more features and physics involved in it, thus a greater chance of issues showing up..... and RO1 is basically a port of the mod, thus all the bugs and issues for RO1 were mostly dealt with during the Mod stages..... RO2 is basically an entirely new game starting from scratch on a new game engine.

The comparison is moot.

and was MUCH further from what the community actually wanted because TWI was chasing the mainstream, as they took their core base for granted.

Again, you don't speak for me or anybody else, so stop trying.

Why is it the community that should be blamed for not being happy with something they weren't told they were getting?

Newsflash.... you and your select group of the community do not represent the entire community.

All through the lead up to the game people were concerned about TWI's grab for the mainstream, (the MKBs, the bandages, the unlocks), yet all through that time TWI insisted that the new changes would not come at the expense of the old player base.

TWI lied, or at the very best are very confused about what the community wants.

So tell me.... what does the Community want?

Oh wait, you can't answer that anymore than I can answer it, because the Community is and always was loaded with people coming from different backgrounds and different preferences, thus what the community wants is not absolute or well defined.

Since the mod days, people have continually debated on how realistic the game should be... what sort of elements or features should be in the game.... and most of the time, from my memory, the community was split one way or another.... so there is no way you or anybody else can determine exactly what the community wants or doesn't.

It seems that they thought because killing floor did well with unlocks and arcade gameplay, that making RO2 like that would make it more of a success. But the market for Killing Floor is not the market for RO games.

Blame whatever sources you want, but 90% of the people who were playing at launch are no longer here. That means something, and the devs HAVE NOT done anything to earn confidence that things will be put right and loyal ROOST fans have not wasted their money.

"but 90% of the people who were playing at launch are no longer here. That means something....."

The player counts dropping are from many different reasons:

• Performance Issues making it difficult for players to play, thus many are waiting until their performance issues are resolved, or just quit because of them and won't be back.

• New Players played the game, didn't like it and moved on to something else more to their tastes.

• Players went off to play other games like MW3, BF3, Skyrim, etc.

• Players dropped off because of the limited content in the game and are bored. (limited maps, vehicles, etc.)

• Some older players didn't like how the game plays and refuse to give the game a chance unless they rip the guts out of RO2 and make another copy of RO1.

Among many other reasons..... you can't just run around spouting off un-supported statistics, defending those baseless statistics by making up generalized assumptions, trying to act as though your claims are biblical and then trying to speak for myself & everybody else in the community as if you can read all of our minds & we asked you to speak on our behalf.

Even I'm not that arrogant.

...... Now.... in saying all of that, I still acknowledge that you and others like you would like to have a game mode in RO2 that makes the gameplay more difficult to play & perhaps with some level of challenge you feel is missing in the game..... and by all means, I support you guys having that in RO2. I'd probably give that game mode a try and would probably enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying the current game modes in RO2..... but the continued use of the victim card and throwing a tantrum on how Tripwire lied to you is baseless and does not help your argument.

Well history states that the Battle of Stalingrad began with the German 6th. Army advancing/entering Stalingrad in early September 1942, but the battle did progress into 1 of the coldest/early winters on record.

[URL="http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/battle_of_stalingrad.htm"][URL]http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/battle_of_stalingrad.htm[/URL][/URL]

Indeed... just because it's USSR/Russia, that doesn't mean it's snowing all year round, they do have seasons up there and it does get warm. This kind of thinking reminds me of how so many Americans think it's snowing all year round in Canada, we all live in igloos & ride moose to work. I've known a few Americans who wanted to escape the hot weather in the summer, so they take a vacation in Canada to go skiing or snowboarding, only to find out that when they arrive with their winter gear, it's 34C / 93F and everybody is walking around in swimsuits & shorts.

The maps are based on the actual battles that occurred and during the date/time of the year they occurred..... which means if the battle occurred in the summertime.... it should look like it's summertime.

What breaks the immersion is when people have a stereo-typed view that because it's in Russia, a battle should be in 6 ft of snow and everybody's freezing the whole time, when in reality, the battle being represented occurred in the summer time or early autumn.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am sure that a full Ostfront scenario would be much more interesting. And there aren`t some official Maps, there will be some custom maps about other battles.

But what about my other point, more Stalingrad atomoshere when you play the game.
So what does HoS need to bring us some more Stalingrad atmosphere?

I like the idea with the "warm up" and different voices for winter maps.

Homuth: "Do something with voices on winter maps, and if you stand still make your character do stuff to warm himself"

It

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nobody believes that crap anymore.
Funny, most ROOst Players still around claim the majority of them already left.... and the majority of new players I see in both these forums and Steam's forums actually enjoy the game:

I said the majority of people who are still left are RO:OST players. That's not the same thing as saying the majority of RO:OST players are playing RO2.

This is all evidence that they are listening to the community and trying to change things to suit what the majority want..... thus, they are listening and they are not ignoring these more common issues.

It's a step in the right direction but its nowhere near enough to grant them 100% unbridled confidence. There were complaints about the MKB since it was announced, there were fears that bandaging and unlocks would hurt gameplay. All along TWI where saying don't worry because we know what we're doing, we haven't forgotten our roots and the realism mode will give you RO:OST fans what you want.

Only after it became apparent that there was a mass exodus, and most of the people remaining where complaining about it not being similar enough to RO:OST (not that it wasn't similar enough to CoD), did TWI start making concessions like this.

Even if it did, it's no surprise since RO2 has piles of more features and physics involved in it, thus a greater chance of issues showing up..... and RO1 is basically a port of the mod, thus all the bugs and issues for RO1 were mostly dealt with during the Mod stages..... RO2 is basically an entirely new game starting from scratch on a new game engine.

Should I compare it with other games that don't launch with an avalanche of issues that make the game unplayable for a significant portion of the population? You're acting as if the only way to get a stable release is to port a mod. Plenty of AAA titles arrive with far less problems than RO2, and plenty of indie titles do too.

If the game wasn't ready it shouldn't be released. There is never a good enough excuse for a developer to release a game in the condition TWI released RO2 in.

It was a money grab to try and scoop up some of the casual dollars before CoD and BF3 launched, and for that they should be shamed.

Again, you don't speak for me or anybody else, so stop trying.

I don't speak for you. I never said I spoke for you. I do however speak for many disgruntled RO:OST fans, as demonstrated by the fact most people who voted agreed with my post and disagreed with yours.

Since the mod days, people have continually debated on how realistic the game should be... what sort of elements or features should be in the game.... and most of the time, from my memory, the community was split one way or another.... so there is no way you or anybody else can determine exactly what the community wants or doesn't.

The vast majority of complaint threads are saying the same things. Of course there's some variation but the overlap is enormous. Maybe you should read them and decide for yourself whether there's a common consensus.

Among many other reasons..... you can't just run around spouting off un-supported statistics, defending those baseless statistics by making up generalized assumptions, trying to act as though your claims are biblical and then trying to speak for myself & everybody else in the community as if you can read all of our minds & we asked you to speak on our behalf.

I'm speaking on behalf of the RO:OST fans.

There were 9,000 at launch, there's less than 1,000 now. 90% off 9,000 is 900 (ish).

I already described multiple reasons for this.

1. Mainstreamers who thought the game would be similar to Cod/BF
2. Ro:Ost fans who were dissapointed.

This is MUCH steeper than the drop off RO:OST experienced in its first 6 months. RO:OST had similar technical problems at the start

Do you think no other popular FPSs were released when ostfront came out?

I was never trying to say "everyone is leaving because its not similar enough to RO1". There were 3 main points:

1. Staggeringly poor release quality.
2. Design decisions unpopular with core fanbase.
3. chasing the casual FPS crowd without making it simple enough for them to actually like it and stay.

RO2 is casual enough to piss off the core fan base but nowhere near casual enough to keep mainstream gamers interested.

Upvote 0
It's a step in the right direction but its nowhere near enough to grant them 100% unbridled confidence. There were complaints about the MKB since it was announced, there were fears that bandaging and unlocks would hurt gameplay. All along TWI where saying don't worry because we know what we're doing, we haven't forgotten our roots and the realism mode will give you RO:OST fans what you want.

And that is absolut right. Now we have to wait that TWI will really go back to their roots, or we have to wait a little bit longer for a mod with the quality of "Darkest Hour".

I play RO2, but not much, it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What would totally make it feel like it's cold is adding water vapor when you breath on winter maps, and when you zoom in with your rifle it disappears because you hold your breath. For a realism game, like RO2 is supposed to be, this would greatly add to the immersion factor.

And adding people who look more like this would also help.

germanpows4yn.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0