• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Pings increasing then magically stabilising

Don't usually post here and I had a search for soemthing similar:

Playing on public servers and the pings for all players go through the roof (~900), then mysteriously drop back to normal.
No idea what causes this but a guy on the 40-1 server said it was because there was so many players trying to join the server (it was filled, and as soon as 1 player dropped, another player immediately joined).

No idea if there is any truth to this, but thought I would mention it.

If this is incorrect / wrong place feel free to lash me!

Steven

Steven,

you will often find that after an update, the first servers to be updated are the only ones that players will see, so they tend to have a lot of connections. It is short term though.

As for the slot issue, this is a big problem with some servers. People think they can push more slots, however this will not always work. There are times when the server will lag out considerably, at the map start, at objective starts, during artillery, at switch overs etc.

Experience will show that are average box for rent these days runs somewhere between 36-38 players with reasonably performance. Most server admins will use these figures, or if they have a dedicated physical box capable of it, 64 slots. It is always a trade off between the number of players, performance and the enjoyment people get playing on a particular server.

Upvote 0
This was before the update btw.
Just to be clear, the server was running fine with the max players (say 40 players), but the guy on the server said it was the queue of players trying to join that was causing the ping increase (hence the new player always joining immediately when 1 guy dropped).
Most times that server runs fine when its maxed out.

Upvote 0