• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Number of players.

In the server section.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=30341

Now you spoilt our surprise...lol..

Here's a little more about this game engine and it is impressive...But up until now outside of UT3 by epic themselves no one has made a real good job of making a UE3 game.
Especially getting a true fully functional dedicated server working..MOH:Airborne and Brothers in Arms:Hells Highway are good examples of companies making a UE3 game and failing miserably to get the multiplayer side working correctly...Hard to believe when you look at the following specs that so many have failed to actually take full advantage of what the engine can provide..So no pressure TWI but I would finally like to play a UE3 game that actually works...lol

• Internet and LAN play has been a hallmark of action games as demonstrated in Epic's Unreal Tournament series. The Unreal Engine has long provided a flexible and high-level network architecture suitable to many genres of games, as well as simulation projects; and is fully supported on PC and all console platforms.
  • Integrated voice communication on all platforms.
  • Unreal Engine gameplay network programming is high-level and data-driven, allowing UnrealScript game code to specify variables and functions to be replicated between client and server to maintain a consistent approximation of game state. The low-level game networking transport is UDP-based and combines reliable and unreliable transmission schemes to optimize gameplay, even in low-bandwidth and high-latency scenarios.
  • Client-server model supporting up to 64 players as provided.
  • Supports network play between different platforms (i.e. dedicated PC serving console clients).
  • Engine-level and content security.
  • Game code writes to one API that works across all online platforms.
  • All gameplay features are supported in network play, enabling vehicle-based multiplayer games, competitive team games with NPC's or bots, cooperative play in a single player focused game, and so on. Support for auto-downloading and caching content, including cross-platform compatible UnrealScript code. This feature enables everything from user-created maps, to bonus packs, to complete game mods to be downloaded on the fly.
  • Server browsing capabilities for finding and querying servers, keeping track of favorites, friends, in-game chat, etc.
  • Party system: the ability for a group of players to meet in a networked lobby and transition from match to match as a group.
  • Supports Games for Windows Live, Xbox Live, and GameSpy (PC and PS3) network platforms.
  • Support for Microsoft’s LIVE Server Platform (LSP).
  • Networked Title Updating system: allows for modification/customization of game features via downloaded files from an LSP so updates can happen without a TU.
  • Support for PS3 downloadable games via Sony’s Game Content Utility: UE3 games can be run as retail disc games, downloaded from the Playstation Store, or even a patch, all without the need for recompiling the code.
For those interested there's more info here... [url]http://www.unrealtechnology.com/features.php?ref=technology-overview[/URL]

Upvote 0
On a shared server, yes. But on a dedicated server, I would posit that it would be quit possible to increase this number.

What was the max player count for RO1?

Max player count for RO1 was 64 players after the update, but even the best servers couldn't really go above 50 players.

RO:HOS will be able to spread some tasks over multiple threads but in return the servers will need to calculate stuff such as penetration.

Upvote 0
Exactly. This thing will run smooth as silk on our dedi, 8core HTT badass server. :)

There aren't that many threads you can split up. you have net-code, and physics/hit detection. Those are the only parts I can think of that really will take a lot of processing power for the server afaik.

Most other processor intensive parts that are nice to split up like graphics, sound etc. aren't used by a dedicated server. So my personal prediction is that a dual core server will have a nice benefit in performance over a single core but that additional cores probably won't add that much additional performance.

For instance UT3 servers didn't really use that much more than one core, sadly UT3 was pretty much instantly dead so I never saw a 64 player server in action.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
64 players will be plenty

The only shooter I know of that supports 128 players is MAG, although it could accommodate 256 player games too

Call of Duty 2 (128 players)
Delta Force series (128 players)
OFP / ArmA / ArmA 2 all support infinite amounts of player. Its down to the hardwares limitation

-

MAG is 256 player not 128 and that is console, so pretty pathetic if we can't get atleast 100 players in red orchestra 2.

-

Mount and blade can support whatever it likes...I have been on 180 player servers and the only lag is from people faaaar away in America or have a bad connction (So for all us players who have good connections and live close its great)

64 players is NEVER enough. Your basically saying "I want less action and teamwork. I want their to never be any sort of front lines because I want to be able to easily sneak around the enemy lines"

-

Now, I will like this game if it says "64 players is the ideal" but if it decides to go "YOU ARE NOT CHANGING THIS VALUE AT ALL, DONT CARE IF YOU HAVE A NASA COMPUTER LIVING IN NASA TOWN IN NASAVILLE WITH ADVANCED ALIEN TECHNOLOGY. 64 IS THE MAX"

Then its lame...let the limitations be the hardware and not the software. If it lags with 400 players. People won't play on 400 player servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Taisenki
user_offline.gif

reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif

Call of Duty 2 (128 players)

You are wrong, 64 players.. i have never seen more and servers couldnt hold so many players..

Upvote 0
This could be one of those beware of what you wish for issues.

Reason being, the AI can fill in for the open slots in sessions, so the larger the *player* count, the potential for greater numbers of bots running around.

I'm still not convinced that the bot AI is going to be equal in the variety of decisions human players will offer for competition, so maybe the smaller or mid-numbers game counts will be the best as a result.

Upvote 0