• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound engine?

Sodemo

Aug 29, 2010
Is there any information on what kind of sound engine or sound effects technology we can expect in RO2?

I know things like EAX are probably now out of date and no longer viable, but just wondered what was happening for sound, as its obviously a very important part of the experience? Will there be reverb effects for gunshots, explosion blasts etc?

Many thanks,

Ben.

I'm guessing stock UE 3 sound system.

Jup!:

http://www.unreal.com/features.php?ref=audio

The Unreal Audio system:

• Support for the latest major audio compression scheme for all platforms.
    • Transparent to the user.
    • SIMD optimized compression and decompression of improved quality Ogg Vorbis on the PC.
  • 3D sound positioning, spatialization and attenuation.
    • Advanced attenuation features, such as attenuate vs. plane and attenuate with a low pass filter
  • Ambient Zones to emulate occlusion
  • Cross-platform DSP effects.
    • I3DL2 reverb on all platforms.
    • Per source low pass filter for attenuation or other effects.
    • EQ effects.
  • Multi-channel playback (4.0, 5.1).
  • Channel playback to many speaker configurations (e.g. 4.0, 5.1, 7.1, 5.0)
  • Sound Modes for gameplay control of the soundscape
  • Batch control of pitch, volume, attenuation, Sound Actors, Sound Groups, compression and other parameters.
  • Seamless looping of sounds on all platforms.
  • Extensive debugging tools monitor resource usage.
  • Visual Sound Cue Editor in UnrealEd:
    • Gives sound designers complete control over sounds, sound levels, sequencing, looping, filtering, modulation, pitch shift, and randomization.
    • Sounds parameters are separated from code to an extent that sound designers can control all sounds associated with gameplay, cinematics and animation sequences.
    • Per map intelligent streaming of audio resources.
    • Multiple Sound Actor types for flexibility of implementation.
  • Visual Sound Class Editor in UnrealEd

Upvote 0
Hi, does that mean that I dont need an x-fi card with eax support to get 3d sound?
It was great when I played RO on a windows xp plattform with x-fi card and 7.1 system (2006-2009). Since I switched to Windows 7 64 bit I only can play RO in stereo. Windows 7 64 bit / EAX / openAL / x-fi always causes a bluescreen of death, when activating the systemdriver (openal) in RO :-|

Upvote 0
Hi, does that mean that I dont need an x-fi card with eax support to get 3d sound?
It was great when I played RO on a windows xp plattform with x-fi card and 7.1 system (2006-2009). Since I switched to Windows 7 64 bit I only can play RO in stereo. Windows 7 64 bit / EAX / openAL / x-fi always causes a bluescreen of death, when activating the systemdriver (openal) in RO :-|
No you're not gonna need an Xfi card just to get 3D sound lol ... EAX works on non-Xfi cards just fine.

Upvote 0
I Used to have the Xtreme gamer Fatal1ty and now I have the Asus Xonar D2X. When it comes to positional sound however much better the D2X is for actual sound quality, the Xtreme can't be beaten for positioning your enemies.

TBH its a hard one to weigh up as I love watching films and listening to music on the D@x but it just isn't as good as the Xtreme for gaming, hmmmm might have to grab it back from my bro when the time comes xD

Upvote 0
Sound cards are no longer needed and relavent, remember the days of Battlefield 2 and the back of the manual had the xfi and speakers and stuff, all needed if you wanted great sound, now all that is in the engine, especially the console ports, I wish there was a game out there to use the sound card.
Using the Xfi option in BF2 sounds terrible! My new (current) PC has an Xfi card built into the motherboard so I tried the Xfi option in BF2. Everything got super echo-y and tinny ... it was really bizarre.

Upvote 0
Using the Xfi option in BF2 sounds terrible! My new (current) PC has an Xfi card built into the motherboard so I tried the Xfi option in BF2. Everything got super echo-y and tinny ... it was really bizarre.
The motherboard X-Fi is not supported. BF2 requires X-Fi game mode to work and there is only entertainment mode in the motherboard x-fi.

Upvote 0
I Used to have the Xtreme gamer Fatal1ty and now I have the Asus Xonar D2X. When it comes to positional sound however much better the D2X is for actual sound quality, the Xtreme can't be beaten for positioning your enemies.

I remember a session where I was playing alone against 3 russians. They had no chance. I could have played with closed eyes :)

Upvote 0
I hope OpenAL is fixed in the unreal engine version TWI is working with, in UT3 and Gears of War there are a lot of problems with sound dropouts and stuttering with X-Fi and Audigy Cards which still aren't fixed.

There's a lesson in there somewhere. Don't support Creative, because they won't support you or your card and they probably deserve some kind of award for the worst drivers in the industry.

Upvote 0