• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design my first map?

I made my first map yesterday for killing floor and ofcourse its like a test map but it has some bugs! It compiles pretty good! but no zombies spawned and i made a hallway connecting to the other hallway and i made it a "zombievolume" hallway and then i made a box called "zombiezone" so noone can get in it, then i made pathnodes and compiled and no zombies spawn! I checked the map for errors and heres what it said: "no pathnode from section 50-41" and i dont know what that means and i have the full map fulled with pathnodes!
Can someone please tell me whats going on here?
thanks,
gamemann

When you are looking at your map in the editor, there should be some options right on top of your view window. Right click on the gray space where none of the buttons are. Go to View > Show paths and you can see if your path nodes are connected.

Theres no "show paths" button?

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I tried opening your map but it crashes my editor. Has something to do with WTF mutator weapons in the map so I can't look at it myself.

Check your zombie spawn volume, find the property that says MinDistanceToPlayer and set it to something like 1. Rebuild(compile) the map then try to play it again.

srry about that! just a question since i am new to map making, how do you get to the brushes properties so i can find it! sorry its my first time doing things like this in killing floor!

Upvote 0
Find your zombie volume(Should have a light pink line/grayline, not the red brush) Double click on it or right click on the volume and click on ZombieVolume Properties. A window should pop up. Then click on the line that says Zombie Volume(Should be very last option). When the Zombievolume line expands, you will see all of its properties.

ok. thanks.
edit: i'll do tht now.

Upvote 0
i know the solution, you need to rebuld your paths.

other helpful things you should know.
1. you don't need all of those pathnodes for the stairs... too many will slow path-compiling down also it'll make the zombies seem sluggish and well stupid in game. for the straight stairs you have 3 pathnodes will do it, 1 just before the first step another on the middle of the stairs and the last one just after the last step. and the same thing will work for your curved staircase tho i would advise against curved staircases because the ai tend to get confused on more intricate ones.

2.just before you compile everytime remember to select a random pathnode and rightclick it->select->select all pathnode
->rightclick it again->order->to last

this will prevent a lot of pathnode errors for example. a pathnode connected to another pathnode even tho there is a big wall in the way.

3.when testing a map remember to 'Build All'

edit: i just noticed you already solved the problem lol mybad but the usefullthings will help

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i know the solution, you need to rebuld your paths.

other helpful things you should know.
1. you don't need all of those pathnodes for the stairs... too many will slow path-compiling down also it'll make the zombies seem sluggish and well stupid in game. for the straight stairs you have 3 pathnodes will do it, 1 just before the first step another on the middle of the stairs and the last one just after the last step. and the same thing will work for your curved staircase tho i would advise against curved staircases because the ai tend to get confused on more intricate ones.

2.just before you compile everytime remember to select a random pathnode and rightclick it->select->select all pathnode
->rightclick it again->order->to last

this will prevent a lot of pathnode errors for example. a pathnode connected to another pathnode even tho there is a big wall in the way.

3.when testing a map remember to 'Build All'

edit: i just noticed you already solved the problem lol mybad but the usefullthings will help
thanks for the advice :)

Reactions: slavek
Upvote 0
well if you try to delete it via wire-frame view it's a no-go but if you selected it via one the top,side,or front view windows and pressed delete, it should remove the brush.. however in the 3d view window the brush will appear to be there but it is in fact deleted you just have to rebuild geometry and it'll be gone for good.

also another nifty tip: Selecting multiple things at once in a certain area. press and hold ctrl+alt+left mouse button and you should see a selection box as you move the mouse. Note, that this only works in the top, front, or side view windows

that'll help you remove all those extra pathnodes

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well if you try to delete it via wire-frame view it's a no-go but if you selected it via one the top,side,or front view windows and pressed delete, it should remove the brush.. however in the 3d view window the brush will appear to be there but it is in fact deleted you just have to rebuild geometry and it'll be gone for good.

also another nifty tip: Selecting multiple things at once in a certain area. press and hold ctrl+alt+left mouse button and you should see a selection box as you move the mouse. Note, that this only works in the top, front, or side view windows

that'll help you remove all those extra pathnodes

Upvote 0
oh and another thing i totally forgot to tell you, you're zombies aren't spawning because your zombievolumes are too small. they need to be able to fit one debug cylinder(which you can see if it can by setting bDebugZombieSpawning to true in the properties and test it out in-game red=no green= your good :) ) but ingeneral i'd keep them like this:

i think the Mininum requirement for at least one debug cylinder:
height=128
width=64
breadth=64
so this one will only spawn 1 zombie at a time

small zombieVolume:
height=256
width=128
breadth=128
this one will spawn small groups 3-4 zobmies

normal zombieVolume:
height=256
width=256
breadth=256
this one will spawn the normal groups you see in killing floor offical maps 3-9 zombies

anything larger will have no effect unless you change up the 'ZombieCountMulti' Property in the ZombieVolume.
1.000000=normal amount of zombies
2.000000=twice as many zombies spawn here then normal and thus will need a bigger zombievolume
0.500000= half the amound of zombies spawn here then normal.

alright i think i covered that more then i wanted too lol but here you go

Last edited:
Upvote 0
oh and another thing i totally forgot to tell you, you're zombies aren't spawning because your zombievolumes are too small. they need to be able to fit one debug cylinder(which you can see if it can by setting bDebugZombieSpawning to true in the properties and test it out in-game red=no green= your good :) ) but ingeneral i'd keep them like this:

i think the Mininum requirement for at least one debug cylinder:
height=128
width=64
breadth=64
so this one will only spawn 1 zombie at a time

small zombieVolume:
height=256
width=128
breadth=128
this one will spawn small groups 3-4 zobmies

normal zombieVolume:
height=256
width=256
breadth=256
this one will spawn the normal groups you see in killing floor offical maps 3-9 zombies

anything larger will have no effect unless you change up the 'ZombieCountMulti' Property in the ZombieVolume.
1.000000=normal amount of zombies
2.000000=twice as many zombies spawn here then normal and thus will need a bigger zombievolume
0.500000= half the amound of zombies spawn here then normal.

alright i think i covered that more then i wanted too lol but here you go
well zombies spawn when sandbox isnt on, then when i turned it off they started spawning again! but heres the thing, the zombies spawned on other maps with sandbox on and i never changed anything on sandbox since then! DO you think the zombie volume could affect this?

EDIT: basically description: zombies dont spawn with sandbox on!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
honestly i have no idea. but if this map is the only one then it wouldn't be out of the question... go ahead and play around with them see if they'll spawn with the normal 256x256x256 size zombie volume....... oh you know what it might also be effected because you have WTFMut stuff in there and i think you might have some DA2 actors(i'm not sure about that one tho) it's just a guess tho.....

Upvote 0