• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Resistance and Liberation, WW2 HL2 mod "most realistic experience possible".

I am very curious to see how far this has come since the public alpha release 2 years ago.

Same, I haven't played it since then, but it does look really good now. The Carbine is one of my favorite weapons of WWII. I just hope the transition to iron sights is more fluid now, because the system was really clunky and hard to get used to.

Upvote 0
I'll give it another go once it goes beta. I've played the first alpha, and it just didn't play well. No idea where to go, only the nco knew where to go or something. And the ironsights were useless. I guess that's cuz of the apperture sights, but they could make them transparant for gameplays sake.

We'll see, it looks more polished from the vids.

Upvote 0
I'll give it another shot too when the beta comes out. I liked the alpha but not enough to keep playing. With a bigger, more organized community in the pub servers I might have stuck around. I hope the beta version is good enough to attract that kind of crowd.
Hoping for a ROmod-like environment might be asking too much, but something similar would really be nice.

Upvote 0
I found this mod to be an inferior experience to Red Orchestra. Apparently the ballistics sim never happened....they axed it because they realized how resource intensive it is. The mechanics are all there, but the control and the gameplay are not. It's like a laundry list of wished-for features for realism buffs, but it's not the best experience I've ever had.

Upvote 0
*face palm* Explain to me exactly why u need realistic ballistics in a source mod when the ranges are less than 200 yards at most? Someone hasn't done there homework and u do realize Red Orchestra is a full blown retail game backed by a games company not a MOD like RnL and RO used to be?

And BTW no one here was comparing RO to RnL ive been playin RO since Beta 1.0 so you really don't know wot yer talkin about man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even at less than 200 yards it makes a difference, particularly for pistol rounds. But the real problem is that this game doesn't have any maps that have engagements out to 200 yards....more like 60 yards tops, and even that is pushing Source's crappy draw distance box.

But something about bullet deviation sims rubs me the wrong way. That's my real problem. I despise bullet deviation. I prefer ballistics that feel natural and predictable. When playing RnL I got the feeling that the gun wasn't behaving in precisely the way I needed it to.

In DoD:S, another Sourcemod which uses bullet deviation, they have virtually no deviation cone on the rifles like the Kar98, so I think I can detect a difference between the two games.

Also, the mod version of RO had ballistics. In this mod they wanted to include a ballistics sim, but they decided to forgo it because of the fact that ballistics sims are gas hogs on Source engine.

So it really doesn't come down to the fact that it's a mod team. Both Tripwire accomplished it and this mod team developed a working ballistics sim, it just didn't jive with the engine. So it's not the mod team's fault, it's the fault of the engine. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

The game's fun for what it is, it's just quirky.

Upvote 0
Tis out :).

http://www.resistanceandliberation.com/News/p2_articleid/56[url]http://www.resistanceandliberation.com/News/p2_articleid/56[/URL]

It is May 15th, time for the Open Beta release!

Just to reiterate some important information:

Do not be mistaken as this is NOT the actual Beta release. Before we can release beta in full, we need feedback. Following this build, there will be subsequent builds to add other game pieces/maps for testing and bug fixes. We have disabled all private server hosting. With this, we have designated server hosts that will run beta test servers for the duration of this public beta test. These servers are dedicated to beta testing and will be watched over by the hosts' admins. Also, there will be an official bug report thread so that we can get constant feedback. It cannot be stressed enough that this is not a full release, but a restricted beta test build to allow the Developers to restrict the content being tested and get quick feedback.

Now without further adieu, here are the links where you can download Open Beta 1.0:

Torrent
Strategy Informer Mirror
Known Issues List:
- Missing G43 models. K98 serving as a temporary placeholder until G43 can be finished.
- Along with the above issue, G43 midclip reload leads to the gun getting "stuck" temporarily because K98 doesn't have a mid-clip reload animation.
- Higher pinged players may experience animation glitches.
- On dedicated servers, weapon animations may behave weirdly on first few seconds of spawning. Switching weapons seems to fix it.
- MG42, 30Cal, Axis Explosive, and Allied Explosive animations are placeholders.
- Some BAR and Carbine animations are yet to be finalized.
- No map information displayed in the initial panels (such as MOTD, and Team Selection)
- Climbing may put you in some solid geometry if you don't pay attention.
- Radioman class holds no extra functionality. It is merely a visual class at the moment.
- German Radioman has no radio on his back (No German radio has been modeled...)
- When in spectator mode, animations of players and environment stutters.
- Allied player model is not weighted correctly, sometimes causing it to pose incorrectly. (Thumb jutting out sideways when holding a weapon)

Change Log:
* Completely rewritten code
! New grenade system that utilizes one button. The longer the button is held, the farther it will be thrown. Burns the fuse simultaneously. This is still a work in progress.
! New ironsighting method. Click once to ironsight, hold to supersight. To simulate holding of breath, the longer this button is held, the worse weapon sway up to the sway of standard ironsights.
! New Allied player model and skin.
! New menu visuals including a new main menu background, new MOTD, new Team Selection screen, and new Squad Selection team. (A Map info panel will be added later)
! New or tweaked sounds for almost everything.
! New loading screen system. Loading screens are still being made to fit the new system, so some are unreadable at this point.
! New tip system for loading screens. Loads tips from a translatable file. Able to include button binds. See "rnl/scripts/loading/loading_english.txt" for the syntax and examples
! New objective and task system. Allows for parent objectives comprised of multiple tasks. The objective is taken when all tasks are completed.
! New destruction tasks. Along with this, new Allied and Axis explosives added to the new Engineer class.
! New mapping entities to encompass the completely rewrite and the new objective system. See the Wiki for details.
! New map overview script. See the official maps and associated scripts for examples.
! New map-specific squad scripting system. Allows for more control for the mapper. Each script more easily determines the makeup of each squad and what equipment each class carries. See official maps and associated scripts for examples.
+ Added the ability to reload a garand in mid-clip accompanied by a new animation.
+ Added the ability for deployed MGs to look around themselves by using the "+alt1" command. Bound to ALT by default.
+ Added the ability to ditch MGs while undeploying for fast getaways. Just drop the weapon while undeploying.
+ Added the Engineer class. (See new destruction tasks above)
+ Added the Radioman class. [Non-functional] (See known issues below)
+ Added the Browning Automatic Rifle as a per-map replacement for the Browning .30 Cal MG. (Determined by map scripts)
+ Added the M1 Carbine as the primary weapon for the Engineer and Radioman classes.
+ Added the ability to drop clips (or boxes) of ammunition for each weapon. (.30 Cal and G43 are using temporary placeholders)
* Updated St C

Upvote 0
Anybody looking to play now be prepared for a wait. There's only three servers consistently maxed at 32 players each.

EDIT:

It doesn't seem like much at all has changed from the alpha a year ago. Honestly it feels like it should have been a patch for the alpha 11 months ago. Like Ralfster said, some great ideas, but everything feels shoddy and I don't think its unfair to say that with the knowledge that this is the unfinished beta. If it took them this long to do this version I can't imagine the final beta will be much different. Weapon models are overall high quality but all other graphics are subpar even for the source engine 5 years ago. So unfortunately, wholly unimpressed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0