Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2011, 09:49 PM

Default I added controller support to RO2 (WIP)

Welp, my xbox controller wouldn't work out of the box for RO2, so I went ahead and copied and pasted some of the input values from other unreal engine based games, and it turns out that it all works .

Here's my ROinput file if anyone here wants to give this a try themselves:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4w...VFTWkdaalBnczQ (updated 5/25/2012)
Go to username/my documents/my games/redorchestra2/RoGame/Config
Back up/move the original RoInput file, then delete and replace the existing file with the one you downloaded.
(remove and replacing has fixed issues people had when simply overwriting Roinput.ini)

None of the original keyboard and mouse values have been erased or changed and please note that I have not driven a tank in game yet, but my current setup is designed for infantry, but it will more than likely work for vehicles too (variable throttle anyone?). Buttons can also be remapped in game, while the button you pressed will not show up and will remain blank it will still be mapped to the new action you chose. The only button that does not do that is the A button (I have no idea why either).

This is currently a work in progress as I am still trying to find the most efficient button layout, if I change the button layout or sensitivity then I will post it.

Gentlemen, here's to pc gaming and variety, (and leave feedback)
- C

After testing this for almost a week I can say it works well and (for the most part) yields very satisfying results

update history:
-6/15/2012 added an experimental build with leaning. Suggestions are more than welcome.
-5/25/2012 download link updated and is now working, a couple changes to make it work with the big patch
-9/15 added additional bindings to fully use the xbox controllers button
-current controller layout (made with call of duty, gears of war and L4D2 in mind)

-have still not fully tried tanks (I have little interest in them), if someone could just tell which keys do what then I could whip something up in a few minutes

Experimental build :
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4w...XB2TXRTU1RIWDA
This build has leaning on the bumpers over the triggers, crouch changed to the Y button, Firing mode/MG barrel change on up on the directional pad, no grenade button (you'll have to switch to your nade like one of guns using the directional pad).

update: if your controller stops working or doesn't work after replacing ROinput, go to ROinput (as mentioned earlier), right click it, hit properties, and set the file as read only.

Last edited by Cobra_H1; 12-19-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 PM

A controler for ro2 really okay^^
Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 PM

very nice work, if you could make it work for tanks it would be cool.

Last edited by CrazyFingers; 09-14-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFingers View Post
very work, if you could make it work for tanks it would be cool.
Yea it would get rid of the weird mouse for turret control.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 PM

Oh dear...if you use a xbox controller be prepared to get hammered by mouse and keyboard users...

Thats one reason why you never get multi player games where a PC user and an Xbox user can play against each other...tests where done and the Xbox owners where (as they say these days) owned.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:46 PM

anyone who buys FPS games on PC only to use a controller to play it needs to just stop playing PC games all together, throw their PC in the garbage and go pick up a stupid xbox 360. Man some people lol. I would love to come across you in game with your precious 360 controller and just OWN you so bad that even your controller would be laughing at you for using a CONTROLLER on a PC in an FPS.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 PM

Console kiddies.

RO fanboi since '04 :: steam id: slipstream_uk
RO2|IL2:46/CloD|rF|C.A.R.S|ARMA2|TW Series
Old 09-14-2011, 10:52 PM

lmfao.

thats all
Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodin View Post
Oh dear...if you use a xbox controller be prepared to get hammered by mouse and keyboard users...

Thats one reason why you never get multi player games where a PC user and an Xbox user can play against each other...tests where done and the Xbox owners where (as they say these days) owned.
CounterStrike: GO will be with the PS3. It's only a matter of time before they join.. not to mention there are already M/K users on the X360 as I am one of them.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 PM

haha the OP made my day...

No seriously, that was quite hilarious..im still laughing
Old 09-14-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qweets View Post
anyone who buys FPS games on PC only to use a controller to play it needs to just stop playing PC games all together, throw their PC in the garbage and go pick up a stupid xbox 360. Man some people lol. I would love to come across you in game with your precious 360 controller and just OWN you so bad that even your controller would be laughing at you for using a CONTROLLER on a PC in an FPS.
Wonder why some PC gamers are called elitists? One of the great things about PC is customization, you can play the game however you wish.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 PM

k I am pretty sure Cobra and the whole world know controller on a pc fps does not work but that does not give you the right to bash someone trying to make a controller work for the game...

PC is the platform of freedom if the guy want to use a gamepad let him.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 PM

While i dont see the logic behind OPs intentions i applaude his efforts..even if its for the lulz.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:01 PM

Nice work OP, i won't use it myself but i'm sure some will. Some people prefer playing on a comfy sofa with a pad on the odd occasion (and can still beat M/Kers no problem at all)

Origin: MajorMelchett - Steam: MajorMelchett

Last edited by MajorMelchett; 09-14-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:07 PM

ITT: PC fanboys acting like console fanboys they hate. Tone down the elitism a bit okay guys?

Stay classy.

I for one would love pressure sensitive WASD keys to go with my mouse and keyboard setup, because currently there is no creeping option, its no movement or full speed. #1 thing that they need to address in PC gaming imo.

The Hipster melted his barrel, because he fired the Machine Gun before it was cool.

Last edited by Ossius; 09-14-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 PM

Guys the OP is doing what tripwire encourages - modifying the game for his best personal experience

And quite frankly if he can play ro2 with a controller and hold his own
I'd say he's pretty damned amazing

Just cause you do not like playing with a controller doesn't mean others don't enjoy it
The OP is contributing positive add-ons to the ro2 community, I applaud him even though I will most likely never use it

Get off ur high horses
PC is great because of how much it can be personalized
If I wanna use an arcade joystick to play ro2 I'm damned well allowed to cause anything is possible in the realm of true pc gaming

Good work OP

The 116th Panzer Division

Last edited by MrLebanon; 09-15-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossius View Post
itt:i for one would love pressure sensitive wasd keys to go with my mouse and keyboard setup, because currently there is no creeping option, its no movement or full speed. #1 thing that they need to address in pc gaming imo.
+2 But you still wouldn't have the same freedom in terms of diagonal movement.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:22 PM

lol love the way some of you pc fanboys are acting. good job man play the way you want!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:23 PM

updated the RoInput.ini already, the one I posted did not have the melee/altfire command mapped and the deadzones for both sticks have been slightly increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFingers View Post
very nice work, if you could make it work for tanks it would be cool.
I'll work on a tank version tomorrow or friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodin View Post

I actually read that article, turns out it was an editorial, aka an opinion article.

While I have been (as they say these days) getting owned I do not blame my aim, this is unlike any fps I've tried before and simply spotting enemies is rather tough for me (14 inch screen...)
Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra_H1 View Post
updated the RoInput.ini already, the one I posted did not have the melee/altfire command mapped and the deadzones for both sticks have been slightly increased.
Hiya! I downloaded your .ini file and put it in the right folder, as specified, but when I try to play with my controller, it doesn't work!

Have I missed a step or is there something I should change in the setup?

Also, ignore those incredibly elitist children. My god, I haven't seen such bull**** in a long time before.