• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design watervolume.. problem. pain causing

lethalvortex

Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2009
ok i run into a problem before i had use watervolume BpainCausing = true damage second 1. damage type zombie melee damage. i just went to try it before it extually hurted me but for somereason now it doesnt hurt me only the zombies.:( mabe i missing something but im not sure what. also if there is some other way i can reproduce the same effect? i found that vomit works but the problem is that the effect doesnt go away even after u leave the volume so you will die no matter what.

The damage should be delt once every second. The damage type will also effect the death message if you die. Most volumes can be set to do damage, what are you trying to do exactly? Just make people get hurt while swimming?

You didn't test your map with god mode on or something right? Were you wearing body armor? Have damage reducing perks on? 1 damage isn't much and if you have say, berserker on with damage type set to zombie melee it might not hurt at all since the damage would be reduced to fractions (maybe?) For a water volume I would set the damage type to drowning, that way if someone dies in the water it will say they didn't come up for breath. Also 1 damage is kind of low, set it to something someone can't just heal off and ignore ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well ye i set it low for now but before it was working one of the update most have done something i cant seem to repreduce the same effect also wen i set it to meleedamage and walk against a brush i die instant wen before it was only taking 1 dmg every second. i cant seem to repreduce the same effect i even tryed physicvolume and make that damage its the same thing zombies will die but players can walk around like notting is wrong. frustrating.
unless u hit a bsp then u will die instantly....

Upvote 0
You need to completely submerge your bps/statics/actors in the volume to prevent the instant death thing. If the volume isn't damaging you at all or only intermittently, it sounds like you have the volume in a weird shape, at an odd angle, or too low.

I had these problems when I was putting water in my map and decided it was much easier to deal with by just making it so the water flat out kills the player with very little chance of escape. High gravity water is hard to get out of and all the under water tunnels lead to velocity based traps. Generally speaking, I'd avoid any real water in kf due to the lack of swimming animations for players or zombies.

Or you could make it so the water doesn't do any damage but I suspect players might use this to their advantage and just hide and snipe from it. Of course you could divide the water into two volumes and have the bottom volume cause damage... maybe. I don't know what you are aiming for so ;p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it doesnt make sence since before it worked the update changed the melee damage somehow the only pain causing that work is vomit but the effect doesnt go away wen u leave the watervolume this is & it doesnt matter how how high u make it. & i dont see why the shape should matter wen its just a volume. and since before it dint matter.

Upvote 0
Shape matters because it might not be fully enclosing the area you want it to be. Water volumes don't work right if they are over lapping with other volumes with the incorrect priorities. If you have damage assigned to it it will be calculated incorrectly if an actor is only partially in it while touching something outside it like bsp or a static mesh.

Remember, this mod wasn't made for water and water wasn't made to cause damage even though it technically can since all volumes can.

Upvote 0
its inside the area and i tryed 100 types even made a small cube water volume same result. just try it yourself and u see what im talking about. just hope there is another way to repreduce same effect. its like this u hit the side of the volume u loss hp like 100 - 0 in 1sec wen u in the middel u are fine but the zombies do receive damage. it ignores the player for somereason.

Upvote 0
http://img300.imageshack.us/i/sewwateer.jpg/

Post a picture of what you mean, here is a part of my watery area. The water is weighted with a higher gravity so they sink faster and they receive 7 damage a second with a damage type of class'gameplay.drowned'. The white highlighted volume is the water volume and the volume above it is a normal physics volume I added just for volume fog (looks so cool!)

My water volume is the exact size and shape of the area I want under water, I no longer have fatalities when touching the sides or climbing back onto the boxes or pipes.

I use to have the problem you describe with the boxes in the water. They use to be slanted so they were partially submerged, when a player stood in the partially submerged section they would receive fatal damage. I corrected this by simply making the boxes not partially submerged at an angle.

Please post a picture of your water :D
sewwateer.jpg

Upvote 0
I toyed with water a bit as well and gave it not higher gravity but very strong negative gravity so you can jump in, go under it a bit and then you get sucked to the surface again. It looks pretty cool but I found that this only really works as long as players stand still. If you want to dive down you still can. So I assume that if you want to make water that drags you down players can still just swim up again if they want to.
I suppose you could make a PhysicsVolume that is not water (so players can't move in it like in water) and give it negative/positive gravity. Bu if you have negative gravity (ie updraft) there, players get catapulted back out of the volume when they jump in.
But I'm rambling. My initial reason to post was to warn you that specimens don't exactly act smart when it comes to water. With a lot of patience they can traverse it but you can't rely on them in water and if players can get in and out of it they can lure the specimens there and finish them off while they are more or less helpless in the water - or make off to a safer place while the specimens struggle with the water.
Whatever you do, make sure you place the PathNodes exactly at the water's surface or slightly below it. If they are above it the specimens will try to reach it, fail and get stuck even more regularly than they already do.

Upvote 0
Oh yes, players can still swim around in my water if they really want to, it's just extremely fatal. Any player that intentionally dives under will have a hard time swimming back up because it will take them twice as long as 'normal' and during the entire time they are taking large amounts of damage. The only water based exit is a trap which "sucks" the player in and kills them.

Zone Velocity is my favorite volume property ;D

Upvote 0
well its watervolume its high 8 sizes are 512 x 512 its just for you to walk in before i made it it worked perfectly u loss hp not to fast just every 1 sec 1hp it was perfect but now i wen back to test my older level i fell in the water and wola not loss hp. zombies on the other size will loss hp like you should. i dont get what changed if i change the damagetype to vomit it works perfectly but the effect doesnt go away afther i leave the watervolume so then you will die. i have notice that u loss hp the moment u touch it but once u inside it and walk around u wont loss it if u jump you loss it since u start touching the watervolume again. its only wen u jump in it and the sides.

Upvote 0