• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anti kiting suggestion.

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Generally i find the game the most fun when specimens still need to spawn. As then they seemingly attack you from all sides rather than from one point in a big cluttered group walk towards you.

My suggestion is simple.

- If a specimen has had no damage done against it for X minutes. (like now with the flaspound rage)
- Kill off that specimen and respawn him without taking another number from the max specimen timer.

This should stop having a huge group of specimen follow you in a simple big tail, and get them to actually attack you from different sides like what happens at the start of a map.
Other methods probably work as well the key is to simply somhow let specimen respawn so the system selects a nice respawnplace closeby.

If you agree with the suggestion or not plz just make a post with "i agree" or "i dont agree" if you dont feel like typing an elaborate reply ^^.

Last edited:
This is a very good idea. This would keep them attacking from all sides, plus it would minimize the chance of them getting really far away and for the players to have to go seek them out when there are only a few left.

If:
1) they're at least a certain distance from the player
2) have no line of sight to player
by all means, despawn them and respawn them elsewhere. You wouldn't really even need to keep track of how recently they've done damage if the above two are satisfied.

You should be able to set the minimum distance in maps, since the minimum spawn distance is set in the spawn volume properties.

Upvote 0
Personally i'd have no issues if they like occasionally exploded or whatever, ideally indeed you want the specimen furthest back and out of sight. In a group of kiting specimen.

But because often you can actually pretty much see all specimen when you are kiting. And especially when you're with 6 players the chance is pretty slim that you cant see a certain specimen, just destroying the ones furthest back by randomly exploding or dying and letting them respawn would suffice for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think them just exploding for no reason would be lame, especially when the counter doesn't go down, even though the player sees them "die".

I think if they're discreetly despawned and respawned when no player can see them and they're at least a certain distance away, that'd be good.

It should seem to the players like the respawned zombies took some alternate route and attacked from the side or back instead of them just exploding and being respawned elsewhere.

Upvote 0
But sometimes you have to kite and I dont have a problem with that. Say you're the last man left everyone got killed off early (does happen on our server more than occasionally haha) - so one man left has to drop say a 100 mobs. No one has the fire power to stand toe to toe and kill a 100. You need to back peddle. Killing them off and respawning would just delay it even longer as the last man standing is trying to clear the level for the rest.

Upvote 0
But sometimes you have to kite and I dont have a problem with that. Say you're the last man left everyone got killed off early (does happen on our server more than occasionally haha) - so one man left has to drop say a 100 mobs. No one has the fire power to stand toe to toe and kill a 100. You need to back peddle. Killing them off and respawning would just delay it even longer as the last man standing is trying to clear the level for the rest.

IMO, if everyoen died except one person with 100+ Specimens left, you've already lost. Especially on Hard and up where one person simply won't have enough ammo to take them all down (Except Berserkers and, occasionally, Supports!).

Upvote 0
IMO, if everyoen died except one person with 100+ Specimens left, you've already lost. Especially on Hard and up where one person simply won't have enough ammo to take them all down (Except Berserkers and, occasionally, Supports!).

I disagree.

This could be simply my diabolical preference to beat the **** out of the specimen (and thus, I always carry extra melee weapon), but using melee weapon for 90% of the time and only shooting enemies that actually needs it (namely three enemies) can often spell the diffrence how it ends up. It sure takes time, but not insta-loss.

Only real exception might be KF-Offices as you're pretty much enveloped everywhere and get bumraped, but in almost any other map you can survive entire wave on your own if you don't go too trigger-happy and make use of machete\axe.

Upvote 0

I've done it before and I've seen many other people do it before. On hard too.

Upvote 0

Yes, but most players' tactics consists solely of:
1) Go to the biggest, most open area on the map before the wave starts
2) Kite around and shoot at everything that moves until they're all dead
3) Go to the shop
4) Repeat

As it is, I think it's too easy for one surviving player to take on most of a wave by himself.

Upvote 0
when you're playing with a team of noobs that all run around as individuals, yeah they die early leaving you, the one experienced player to kite, kill off the last 80, then give them the money that you earned in hopes of them lasting longer next wave :D

the game is fine the way it is right now. you have to be very good to pull off killing 80+ by yourself after the team has died.....only a small minority can do it, so let them. the update to the scrakes and fleshies has made it much harder to pull off imo.

Upvote 0
when you're playing with a team of noobs that all run around as individuals, yeah they die early leaving you, the one experienced player to kite, kill off the last 80, then give them the money that you earned in hopes of them lasting longer next wave :D

the game is fine the way it is right now. you have to be very good to pull off killing 80+ by yourself after the team has died.....only a small minority can do it, so let them. the update to the scrakes and fleshies has made it much harder to pull off imo.

I can regularly kill 80+. So can MANY others, especially on Normal. But the fact is...after perhaps the first time, it gets BORING.

So I guess I should correct myself. I didn't mean I consider it a loss of a decent team wipes with 80+ Specimens left once. That happens, especially towards Waves 9 and 10...I mean I consider it a loss if it becomes a habit, especially in the early waves.

If my team is stupid enough to have all of them except for me wipe 3 times by Wave 6, I pretty much consider the game to be have been lost...

Upvote 0
I agree with this suggestion. It would be a great way to discourage kiting on maps like West London. I concur with many others that a huge amount of the intensity is lost during a wave after all of the specs are spawned. It might be beneficial to respawn them in groups whenever possible. On maps like West London where specs spawn outside the map but can be shot at before they reach the player accessable area it would be easy to take out a stray spec would was respawned. The distance and lack of L.O.S. would be crutial so that specs don't ninja you be disappearing after chasing you around a corner (although this would not help with kiting).

Upvote 0

Not remotely true. [AE] 455 Nerkle took out 208 specimens by himself as Level 5 Berserker like a week ago on Hard, West London.

Yeah, he ran out of ammo. That's why he picked up the guns of the dead and found ammo boxes. It's challenging, but for an experienced player it's not impossible.

Upvote 0