• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Kriegstadt Beta 3

Hey everyone,

I just read through the thread again and think that maybe I'm not so close to a Beta 4 release as previously anticipated, but I'm still pretty close. I did want to give the map a total visual overhaul with plenty of street signs and other unique tidbits to really liven it up but we'll see how that goes. Realistically, I may need to save such for the final. I suppose Beta 4 should be more a case of determining where the map needs to go in terms of gameplay. For all I know, Beta 4 could be terrible. But, if anyone has any ideas in recent memory concerning experiences with Beta 3, please leave me a to-do list of suggestions so I have something concrete to work with! :eek:

As always, thank you!

Upvote 0
I may have made a potentially controversial design change, but it's one I had been debating on doing for a while now: minefields to keep the German retreat in check are in. The minefields are positioned in such a manner that the Germans may only retreat to the next objective, so for instance if the 4th objective is the open objective, then the Germans may actively move to and reinforce the 5th objective in anticipation of the next Russian move, but they may not move back to the 6th objective. However, when the Russians take the 4th objective, then the Germans may move to the 6th objective but not the 7th. Is this idea clear? The minefields disappear after the Russians take the Alt-Moabit Hotel, allowing for the Germans to set themselves up for the final battle. Hopefully this way instances of Germans retreating to the bridge at the start of the map will disappear and combat with be evenly stretched over the map. The Germans can still make the effort to withdraw to the bridge, but they will have to wait for the Russians to advance as well.

Is this plan satisfactory?

There are a few other significant changes I have made but I don't know if I should mention them now or later.

Upvote 0
How's this for an idea:

Smoke grenades for the final objective. [oh god is he crazy?]

I'll [try to] set them up as a pickup for the Moltke Bridge, but they will have a considerable respawn time - let's say five minutes. It takes less time for the German PaK43s to respawn (most do it in four minutes, the one in the center does every five minutes). While I was opposed to giving smoke to squad leaders as it would mean that smoke would be available at all times (2 smoke grenades with a respawn timer of 5 seconds for Russian players), having them as a pickup somewhere by the Russian spawn would mean that any player with the knowledge of them being there could pick them up and use them, and this allows for skilled players to get their hands on the smoke grenades as opposed to oblivious squad leaders.

I feel awful suggesting this as it is a gross violation of my map principles, but at the same time I feel it may be balanced enough to not be a tremendous upset. I don't want to turn it in to Noobstadt anytime soon...

Upvote 0
While I was opposed to giving smoke to squad leaders as it would mean that smoke would be available at all times (2 smoke grenades with a respawn timer of 5 seconds for Russian players), having them as a pickup somewhere by the Russian spawn would mean that any player with the knowledge of them being there could pick them up and use them,

Whew, tough call.
I would split the difference, the usual officer w/ smoke nades and a box or 2 of smoke nades that respawn every min. Or, give the russian tanks a few smoke rounds?

Upvote 0
I just hope the bridge doesn't become a walkover because of this. I guess the buildings are tall enough that the Germans could shoot over the smoke cloud, and 2 grenades every 5 minutes isn't a lot.

Well, so far, the only way to take it, was to grind the axis to death there fast enough.
Which was bit anticlimatic end to a map, especially when the soviet team had managed to storm through all the other caps.

Upvote 0
Still working on interiors...too much is empty and bland. I actually feel pretty dirty for copying some static mesh arrangements from stock maps...but it's all for the sake expediency I suppose. Working on lighting a bit as well so as to not make everything look drab, which is another issue with the interiors I might add. Also, a lot of code assets need to be worked on, like the grenade pickups mentioned before. A lot of the work I have been trying to do ends up being these awful hybrids of existing code that just do not work right, but in due time I guess I will have these sorted out. From a gameplay stance I would say that the map is in good shape and ready to go, but aesthetics and additional code features for streamlining and improving the experience are what remains.

Also, with regard to the grenades, I tried them out at the Bridge. They do not, thankfully, coat the entire bridge in smoke, but it might just be enough for the Russians to advance on to the bridge and make their way to cover.

Upvote 0