• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design A Note To Map Makers

Dante

Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2009
I appreciate all the work you put into your maps to help make this community fun and to make it grow.

When you are putting your maps into a zip format could you make it easier for people to extract by putting the folders already in the correct files.

Example, if I wanted to release a map called "KF-Bob.ROM" inside the zip file there would be a folder called "Maps" and I'd put the map inside there. Same for Music, Sounds, Textures.
Bascally it's instead of "MY MAP -> KF MAP -> KF-Bob.ROM" as the folder structure its just "Maps -> KF-Bob.ROM"
Then you can just extract it straight to the "steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor" folder with no other problems.

I have friends that agree with me here when they say its too big of a bother to find the individual folders, such as for TheHive. Some people I know didnt install it simply because it took too long to extract, or because they weren't using WinRAR and the ReadMe didn't show up correctly. Of course, this would only apply to people using custom sounds, music, textures etc.

Cheers, Me =]

Last edited:
I agree with you, but off the top of my head Hive is the only one that didn't have the file structure, and when you download it from my site it does (there was another person who did this in the topic as well).

I prefer .zip myself, the reason being almost anyone can open it without having to install anything, and it doesn't make the filesize much bigger. TheHize 7-zipped was only around 12MB smaller than the zip format. WinRAR is alright, but again I don't like to make people install another zip program just to have a new map. Personally I use Ubuntu Linux for all my internet stuff, including uncompressing files.*

Upvote 0