• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Worst war film ever made?

D3terioNation

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
West Sussex, UK
For me its When Trumpets Fade.

But Ive just seen Battle of the Bulge on telly, and it truly is terrible!

I can forgive em for using Korean era tanks, but at least paint them right! Jeez :rolleyes:

Just painting the German tanks light grey reminds of this cheap pack of toy soldiers my dad got me as a kid, where there were no difference in opposing classes, but were either light grey or green!! I melted the lot of em :p

Not to mention the scoped garand too...

Really lazy production in alot of shots really, that takes away so much of the atmosphere!

Needs a remake imo

Last edited:
While Battle of the Bulge is corny and pretty innacurate, it's your typical gung-ho war movie from the 50's and 60's. That gives it a bit of a pass.

Enemy at the Gates is mostly fictional and based on Soviet propaganda, but at least it's an interesting story and portrays Stalingrad well.

Behind Enemy Lines is kind of a popcorn shoot-em-up anyway.

The WORST war movie, in terms of being a complete travesty, is Micheal Bay's Pearl Harbor. Ridiculous love triangles, historical innaccuracies, clunky acting, etc. All in the era of modern film-making and massive budgets. Plus you have MUCH better pre-existing films like Tora! Tora! Tora!, which they really should have built upon. Instead, they made a sappy, awful love story and shoehorned it into one of the more dramatic storeis of the war. Awful.

Team America said:
I miss you more then Michael Bay missed the mark
When he made Pearl Harbor
I miss you more than that movie missed the point
And that’s an awful lot girl
And now, now you’ve gone away
And all I’m trying to say is
Pearl Harbor sucked, and I miss you

I need u like Ben Affleck needs acting school
He was terrible in that film
I need u like Cuba Gooding needed a bigger part
He’s way better than Ben Affleck
And now all I can think about is your smile and that ****ty movie too
Pearl Harbor sucked and I miss you

Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?
I guess Pearl Harbor sucked
Just a little bit more than I miss you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lol, imo When Trumpets Fade is a pretty good low budget movie. One of the things most movie's do wrong is using weird tanks as German, and while the tanks used in WTF (...) aren't real German ones, I recognized them as Panzer IV's and not as some fantasy thing. Next to it, it shows a lot of bloodspilling of the US side and doesn't show real hero's, which is something new for Hollywood.
Not the best, but definitely not the worst WW2 movie.

For me next to Battle of the Bulge is the Big Red One the worst, just nothing is done right. Zwartboek or Blackbook is also a stupid one, too many errors and a implausible story.

Upvote 0
I'd say Pearl Harbor. Even though Windtalkers is almost the same calibre, atleast I was not completely confused and bored while watching it.

But while watching Pearl Harbor, I lost the track that is it a war movie, awful drama, soap opera or just some kind of twisted joke about the event or what. As a war movie it was wtf, the drama was overdone, it was too serious to be a joke and I've seen more believable soap operas on TV.

Upvote 0
I was going to say The Thin Red Line, pretentious crap with ****ty acting. Then somebody mentioned Pearl Harbor... takes the cake. :D

Then again Jarhead was a total PoS... damn tuff choice man. :confused:

Oh that was so bad I forgot about it. I retract my nomination for Pearl Harbor and put Windtalkers in there instead.

Dickoless Cage is pretty awful, in fact he is the worst actor of all time but Windtalkers was definitely better than Pearl Harbor and the others I mentioned easily.

I mean ConAir was better than Pearl Harbor, at least I can get baked and watch it laughing my *** off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was going to say The Thin Red Line, pretentious crap with ****ty acting. Then somebody mentioned Pearl Harbor... takes the cake. :D

Then again Jarhead was a total PoS... damn tuff choice man. :confused:

I liked the thin red line, but mostly for the nature shown in the movie. It had a different feel than most war movies too and a really good soundtrack.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gLty_43I3_w

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about Saving Private Ryan. And I don't say that to stirr up some ****, I just think that movie really sucked and was maybe the first of Spielberg's total *** movies.

But then at least it's got some action scenes, good pictures and even a mildly real looking Tiger etc. I can enjoy it to some extent if I ignore the movie behind the pictures. So Pearl Harbor takes the cake, because you can't ignore its crappyness and the action is mostly lame CGI, I especially hate the flight scenes with the Zeros a.k.a. TIE-Fighters.

The thin red line is a good movie. Not great, but good.

Upvote 0
I can't decide between "We Were Soldiers" and "Behind Enemy Lines", they are both abominations

I don't think We Were Soldiers is that bad. It's pretty entertaining movie with couple of annoyances, but I wouldn't even mention it in the same sentence with Behind Enemy Lines. Owen Wilson in a war movie? Or generally in a movie? LOL

Thin Red Line is a good film, but the artsy-fartsy crap in it makes me want to puke.

Upvote 0
Apocalypse Mercenaries...

I've never actually seen it but the trailer, often featuring on old 'golden harvest' (in particular jacky chan) videos, suggests a outrageously corny, poorly dubbed utter sh!te-fest par excellence
Can anyone confirm whether this movie fullfills it's trailer's promise of trash?

BTW the panzerlied scene somewhat redeems BotB, which I just caught then end of today and agree is pretty poor - and not nearly as enjoyable as i remember when i was 7 or so.

Upvote 0
I don't think We Were Soldiers is that bad. It's pretty entertaining movie with couple of annoyances, but I wouldn't even mention it in the same sentence with Behind Enemy Lines. Owen Wilson in a war movie? Or generally in a movie? LOL

Thin Red Line is a good film, but the artsy-fartsy crap in it makes me want to puke.

I agree about The Thin Red Line being artsy-fartsy. I think one of the reasons some people here might like it more than I is because they are English as a Second Language. It is easier to watch the movie and not be annoyed by the bad writing and cliche' poorly acted parts I suppose. I have not been more disappointed with a war movie than I was when I watched The Thin Red Line.

I actually was entertained by Behind Enemy Lines, I know it was totally ridiculous akin to Die Hard movies and the like. However, at the time I saw it I was completely high and seeing Owen Wilsons "OMFG I am so stoned" face while running through fiery explosions had me roaring with laughter.

We Were Soldiers had good special effects and lots of action but was crappy in every other sense. The montage with Barry Pepper was retarded. Besides the effects the movie just seemed low buck.

I think Platoon is probably my favorite war movie because the characters are well developed and their camaraderie and conflict come through genuine.

Upvote 0
The Thin Red Line is one of my favorite films of all time, particularly for the arty fartsy crap you all love to hate :D

I really hate Windtalkers though, especially when you consider all the hype Cage as doing saying stuff like "hurr hurr yeah man, this is going to be, pretty much, the best war movie ever, you have to see it when it premiers! Woooo!" Get the **** out of here, Nick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0