• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Hello all,

I'm thinking of buying a new sound card. Newegg has some good rebates going on Creative X-Fi cards. Some of the cards include X-RAM, which is 64MB of RAM on the sound card itself. I've read this can improve performance on some games but only on games which are programmed to make use of this feature. So my question is, does Red Orchestra make use of this X-RAM? (*)

*Not to be confused with ex-Ramm, which is what happens to a bot who tries to drive my tank.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102005

War and Peace

Thats up to you to decide, I decided not.

I bought a simple X-Fi extreme gamer just last Friday after my Audigy2 died on me. I was doubtful of the hype about improving your game performance and even an fps increase, but I testify that this is the case.

The sound quality is remarkable compared to my Audigy2.

I've installed the module to switch from game /cinema/creation mode and thats where you note the difference in performance, : you will get more fps in game mode than in cinema, I've tested just to see.
All the processing power goes to the game.
OpenAl is taken in charge by your hardware and I think its that that makes the difference.
Ro uses an OpenAl module as do most game today, Valve games do not but they have something just as good so no loss there.

Whatever, its a good card and can be considered to be a real upgrade.

:)

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd add that I'm running on XP.
On the box it's noted WORKS WITH WINDOWS VISTA.

Just in case...

I had that sticker on my sound card, it actually means, works with vista when you download the new drivers. Since mine is a USB soundcard (for a laptop) and therefore aint that popular it took me an age to find the correct drivers as the creative website was rubbish for me.:mad:

Upvote 0
I have heard troubles with 64bit drivers so bare that in mind. Not had much experience with them myself so i cant give you a solid answer on that.

This card is much better value providing you don't need lots of I/O ports. Make sure you install the audio console with the drivers so you can tweak the EQ. That's when this card really comes into its own.

The X-RAM is gimmicky and support has not really taken off for it. Depending on what you can get the price down to and whether you require the extra I/O ports that model offers, its not really worth the extra $$$.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0