• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Widescreen love...

Widescreen love...

• Yes (feel free to post what resolution you use)

Votes: 57 90.5%
  • No (please post why)

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
I don't understand why we can't have proper widescreen support nowadays. Hell, UT4 has proper support, so long as you can be bothered to do some ini editing. Why can't we change the FOV? Is that some kind of anti-cheating mesure?

Widescreen is the future, its not much to ask to have proper support for it, especially since the engine can already do it.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why we can't have proper widescreen support nowadays. Hell, UT4 has proper support, so long as you can be bothered to do some ini editing. Why can't we change the FOV? Is that some kind of anti-cheating mesure?

Widescreen is the future, its not much to ask to have proper support for it, especially since the engine can already do it.

Is the engine really set up to support it already? Maybe they could lock the FOV to specific ratios. 5:4, 4:3, 16:10, and 16:9. So in total there should be 4 FOV settings depending on the Ratio.

That would allow for widescreen support and prevent rediculous FOV settings.

Upvote 0
ATM without widescreen support you see the same amount as anyone else, WITH you get to use that extra space at the sides and will see things people without widescreen wouldn't see. So it gives you an unfair advantage over people without that extra viewing area at the sides. Someone post a ss pls that compares the difference? I can't find one
Yeah screw people who buy better equipment. You should be forced to run the game in 640x400, at lowest settings, and in mono sound, just so people who have better computers don't have an advantage!

Oh, and you shouldn't be able to use more than 5kbps bandwidth, so those with dialup are not at a disadvantage.
</sarcasm>

Why don't the developers allow anything between whatever the current FOV is, and say... 100.

Upvote 0
Is the engine really set up to support it already? Maybe they could lock the FOV to specific ratios. 5:4, 4:3, 16:10, and 16:9. So in total there should be 4 FOV settings depending on the Ratio.

That would allow for widescreen support and prevent rediculous FOV settings.

this would be realy good. Maybe just implement one more checkbox in Video settings - wide screen/ not wide screen. Even players with 4:3 monitors could freely use that (if they think it is "better").

Upvote 0
this would be realy good. Maybe just implement one more checkbox in Video settings - wide screen/ not wide screen. Even players with 4:3 monitors could freely use that (if they think it is "better").

That's true. Or a drop down box where you can select your Aspect Ratio.

Like THIS:
AspectMenu.jpg

I apologise for the poor quality. I took a screenshot and made that in paint, lol.

I guess it could automatically "recommend" the aspect for the resolution you chose, but you could adjust it if you'd like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, before I had a 19" CRT monitor.

Now I finally purchased the 226BW 22" Widescreen LCD..... and I can say for sure, that the widescreen support needs work.

The "zoom" you get is actually a bad thing. The gun in your hand seems to be farther back so you can't see as much of the gun. You don't gain any viewable area at all.

This is a real problem. I understand this is more work for the devs, but with laptops coming into the gaming arena and widescreen monitors getting much better, there's no reason to exclude real support for widescreen.

If you think "horizontal +" is not common, think again. Here's a link to 155 games that DO support Hor+. This is a great game, and I should be on this list as well considering the titles their up against.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Hor_Plus

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I too would really like it if we could get more aspect ratios than just 4:3. The easiest thing to do is simply to calculate the aspect ratio based on the resolution... and then hardcode which FOVs are allowed for which resolution.

So 1024x768 would be 4:3, 1280x1024 would be 5:4, etc. Then from there on you can use a FOV calculating algorithm and only allow for that FOV to be used.

The reason I really want this is because my rig consists of 3 monistors, 3840x1024 that's 15:4 aspect ratio. However, when I select this resolution in Red Orchestra I get uber zoom-in and a motion sickness. The game is completely unplayable since I can't see the top or bottom third of what normal 4:3 users see.

The Unreal Engine already has FOV settings, so it shouldn't be very hard to add support for widescreen+ monitors in the next patch!

Please consider doing this, devs, I've been a loyal follower of Red Orchestra since the UT2004 mod was in its early beta stages, and I was also one of the first buyers over Steam.

Upvote 0
I prefer a vert- instead of a horizontal+ in ro atleast.

Why? because unlike alot of other games ro does not "zoom in" when using ironsights. i actually liked playing the mod with 75 fov. And i got a 24" widescreen monitor.

The fov ended up locked because it was too easy to bypass the engine/server set min and max fov. So people could bind buttons to get 20 fov which is the equivalent of a sniper scope. The easiest way to fix it was probably just locking the fov all together.

I don't know where all the *****ing comes from about vertical- instead of horizontal+ its all real widescreen.

A widescreen monitor isn't a 4:3 monitor thats a bit wider, its a 4:3 monitor with top and bottom chopped off. You can see it both ways.

And in ro have a wider field of vision would not give you any advantages at all but anyway.

It would be nice if somehow the settable fov could return, in a way that people can actually measure the angle from the eye to the 2 sides of the monitor. Fill that number in. and poof its as if your room is some sort of robot tank with viewing hatches that are your monitors. Meaning that if you do that you'll be able to judge distances.

Upvote 0
Using 1440X900. To be honest it's not THAT big a deal that you're missing a small row of pixels on the top and/or bottom of the screen, most of the gameplay in RO doesn't use the z-axis (having to look up and down because the level is about as high as it is wide) as much as in say.. your typical UT type game.

But sure if it's somewhat easy to fix, why not put it in? If it's too much work, I'm not going to pretend that I'm gameplay crippled compared to 4:3 players.

Upvote 0
I just recently bought a new 22" Asus widescreen, and I must say that the way RO handles matching the stuff you actually can see is quite... well, not really a good solution, especially when compared to games that actually can handle an aspect ratio of 16:10 (for example many Source engine games like Sin Episodes, Dark Messiah and such). With a bit of fiddling, it is possible to play Quake III Arena in 16:10, but RO does somewhat disappoint through all this cropping and chopping... even Call of Duty 2 has proper widescreen support, so it actually should be supported in RO:Ost as well.

Upvote 0
I prefer a vert- instead of a horizontal+ in ro atleast.

Why? because unlike alot of other games ro does not "zoom in" when using ironsights. i actually liked playing the mod with 75 fov. And i got a 24" widescreen monitor.

The fov ended up locked because it was too easy to bypass the engine/server set min and max fov. So people could bind buttons to get 20 fov which is the equivalent of a sniper scope. The easiest way to fix it was probably just locking the fov all together.

The proper way to fix it should be by calculating the FOV based on the resolution and giving us that... then us people with widescreen setups (or in my case 3 monitors) don't get screwed and only see parts of what we should be seeing.

And in ro have a wider field of vision would not give you any advantages at all but anyway.
Then there should be 0 reason *not* to give us more FOV for wider resolutions.

It would be nice if somehow the settable fov could return, in a way that people can actually measure the angle from the eye to the 2 sides of the monitor. Fill that number in. and poof its as if your room is some sort of robot tank with viewing hatches that are your monitors. Meaning that if you do that you'll be able to judge distances.
Even if the devs don't want to calculate FOVs on their own, they could still have an FOV slider that to apply people would have to reset the game, then nobody would use it as a script.

Upvote 0
The proper way to fix it should be by calculating the FOV based on the resolution and giving us that... then us people with widescreen setups (or in my case 3 monitors) don't get screwed and only see parts of what we should be seeing.

Then there should be 0 reason *not* to give us more FOV for wider resolutions.

Even if the devs don't want to calculate FOVs on their own, they could still have an FOV slider that to apply people would have to reset the game, then nobody would use it as a script.

Although a fov slider like the one that was there in the mod would be nice, the ability to change it caused for lots of exploits. Where players could make binds to evade the protection system and end up with say 20 fov at the push of a button (sniper rifle).

If a good way is there to implement it with a slider (while still cropping the image based on aspect ratio, so squares remain squares and circles circles no matter what fov you put it at). That would be nice ^^.

Upvote 0