• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

VOIP Setup

Drayven

Mar 15, 2006
I was wondering if someone could offer me some tips on getting my VOIP up and running. I know my microphone works fine as it picks up both through Teamspeak and the built in sound control panel hardware check. However when I use the push to talk key in game I see the little dial come up and it appears to moving farther right as I speak but I don't think anyone can hear me. I tested it on a couple servers and never got a reply even though other folks doing mic checks were receiving responses. I don't see any VOIP settings within the game and was wondering if there was some external app i had to run or something to config/test it. of course I guess it's always possible everyone was just ignorning me but I'd like to think that's not it :D

There is no external app to run. We have recently tracked down an issue with the VoIP ingame system where it would sometime place users in a channel that didn't exist. But that shouldn't happen to you all the time.

Also make sure you select a channel to talk in (public, local, team), otherwise nobody will hear you.

Upvote 0
I have been playing RO for a year or so now and have always had this issue. It is only now that i am a server game-op and an officer in my clan that the issue is becoming increasingly hindering. I know there is no external application for VOIP RO and i have tried many little things in an attempt to resolve it. Everything from a fresh reinstall to alternating public/team channels to try and jig it to work.
It happens just as Drayven explained it. Its as though RO VOIP is making my mic oversensitive and all people on the other end can hear is static garble as the meter measuring volume smashes and stays on the right hand side. Sometimes i will join a game and it will be fine but often i will just press to talk and it will not work again.

Its frustrating as i need this communication device to manage the server as well as compete better in competitive RO. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I have this problem as well. I've never been able to get the VOIP to work in RO or other games. I believe it's something to do with selecting input and output devices

I use SoundMAX Digital Audio for my input device
I use Creative SB Live! Series for my output device

Now for programs like TS and Vent they generally use the same device for Output and Input by default and I have to manually change the devices in order for my microphone to work. This isn't a problem as these programs come with this option of changing the devices.

However in games I can't find any option to change my input/output devices.

Upvote 0
ok i think i fixed it. There is an entry in the redorchestra.ini that i found that seems to have fixed it.

When i found it it was: bLargeGameVOIP=False. So i experimentally changed it to True.

Problem seems to have stopped. Can you tell me what this entry is actually for? Why is it false by default?

Upvote 0
I have had hellish problems with my VOIP for the last two months since I reinstalled RO. My mic works in every other game, works in TS while I am in RO, but just would not activate in the game. The needle along the bottom just would not move. After much frigging about with all my settings I came across the following in the RedOrchestra.ini file:-

[Engine.GameEngine]
VoIPAllowVAD=True

This setting was initially set at False. I changed it to True and now my VOIP is working again. Hope this works for you.

Upvote 0