• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RELEASE: Armored Beasts Beta 2.0

Ok, played lately. A SU hit a Tiger two times in the back, the distanc was ~50m, the Tiger did not have a single scratch.

Other than that I'm really happy, the Stug is finally pretty strong. :)

I guess the the passing through of the projectiles causes many engine damages where there should not be any - like being hit on the front.

Upvote 0
I guess the the passing through of the projectiles causes many engine damages where there should not be any - like being hit on the front.
You'll find the gearbox in the front of German tanks. As we don't have a gearbox hit indicator, I guess the're using the engine hit indicator.
pz6_42.gif

Upvote 0

edit: grr, just my GFX card emited smoke and ceased to work - third time... :-E Only good thing is that I have an old GF2 as emergency replacement... But won't play too much before it returns from service... And just few hours ago I was enjoying a play as an MG gunner on a server with a mut that removes tracer ammo from infantry MGs - noticed that manning such weapon (MG without tracers giving away your position and alerting the target) you are something like a God on an big open map... :)

What is this mut? I must know! :D

And I hope to try this later today...good job guys! :)

Upvote 0
Ok, played lately. A SU hit a Tiger two times in the back, the distanc was ~50m, the Tiger did not have a single scratch.

The increased shell velocities are causing hit detection problems as Ramm said they would. We will have to put them back to stock settings.

Upvote 0
Just read about your mod, joined your server -map was BDJ- which was empty at that time and thought it might be worth a little test of the changed damage model, so I took the "captured german T-34" drove right in front of the tiger changed the tank and shot the T-34 at close range into it's side up to five times *bounce*... Hmm altered distance to about 100 meters as I thought it might be some problem with the close range same again *bounce*... wondered wether I'm ankled badly or not corrected my position *bounce*... drove to the back of the T-34 *bounce*... front *bounce*... turret *bounce*... By the way I like the new sounds :) .

So I'm just wondering wether I got that bad due playing plain inf. maps for the last few weeks or if it's some kind of bug or a known problem?

Still I like your work and hope to find your server with some players when I check it next time!

Upvote 0

You probably were firing from some angle, not exactly 0deg from the rear. The Su-76 has currently... let me check.. 81mm of penetration from 50m (and around 82mm from 0m) - some say it's too much already and should be below 80mm. Then the Stug would be completly resistant from the front.
The Tiger has 81mm of rear hull armor (little sloped 80mm) and 82mm or rear turret armor. The penetration is practically the same as armor rating and on each shot can vary few percent up or down, so everything depends on luck... BTW trails on Kubinka proving grounds in April 1943 showed than T-34/76 can't penetrate Tiger's side from 200m with normal ammo. In the mod it is possible (depending on luck) up to about 150m (very rarely 200m) at angle up to 5deg. At 10deg the ranges drop to 100-150m, at 15deg you have to be on 0m to have chance for penetration. At 20deg it's probably impossible at all, as extra 20deg of angle transforms into extra 10% of armor protection.

(edit: The KV-1 and T-34/76 has higher penetration currently, 85mm from 50m (I probably forgot to reduce it from previous version...) so it should have chances up to 300m from the side. Better than in reality most probably...)

Stug has 82mm of armor at the front, so everything I wrote above regarding Tiger's side, works for Stug front too.

I'm not sure, as I coulds swear that sometimes a ricocheting (non penetrating) hit causes engine damage in my tank :-/
Only good thing is that engine damage in RO is a joke ;)

P.S. Yes, the captured T-34 is not supported by mut yet, just like Carius Tiger, and old penetration routines are called for them. Contact me with the authors maybe, I can made mod versions then or send them the base mut vehicle code.

The problems with front hits damaging the engine were already in stock RO so should not be related to increased shell velocity - they could only happen more often in mod. Please report in details your problems with collision detection on Orel map, I have too little data currently to diagnose what causes the problem. Were tanks missed completly with projectiles not colliding at all ? Is the bug repetitive ? Was it from short or long range ? Is it range-related maybe (shots fired from some range always bugged?).

In the other case (collision detection on wrong side of the vehicle) the penetration calcs should correct this error and still give correct angle and result in most cases. And such things happen also with reduced shell speed in stock game.
The engine damage is based on projectile PATCH trough the vehicle, not the place of hit. This way a front hit may damage the engine in the rear - but it usually hits the ammo first... What really worries me are non-penetrating ricochets that cause engine damage...

If the projectile hitting front was detected at the back of the vehicle, the path plotted would be either the same, as normally (if traced backwards) or not cross vehicle interior at all (if plotted only forward) - in the first case damage would be the same as with normal hit, in the other engine damage could simply never occur. This is why I'm not sure that increased projectile speed is cause of problems you experienced. But of course if the problem repeats, we'll release a mut version with slowed down projectiles to test it.

P.S.2. I'm considering giving up my own penetration estimates for now and just use penetration values straight from CMBB, which are not always 100% correct but still very very good and accepted. I could focus on the mod code, and return to fine tuning of penetration when the mod is in final stage. Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In game, the Su-76 should be easier to destroy than most tanks, because it has lower Health value. But still it is can withstand two hits sometimes, when the shot damage happes to be low. Maybe the ammo hitbox is less likely to be hit (it's smaller and only on one side) and this is why it more often needs two shots than tanks. But it's ok, Su-76 is thin-skinned vehicle with open top. Because of thin armor, AP projectiles are likely to pass through it completly without detonation, and even when they detonate the crew survivability is probably higher in open vehicle than in buttoned tank. So it's quite OK for me than it is able to resist a shot sometimes, quite possibly I will reduce the effect of AP ammo on Su-76 in the future and HE would be better against Su-76, Halftracks and things like Nashorn if they show in the game someday. Especially the panzerfausts should be much less effective against open and thin-skinned vehicles than against tanks. Since beta 2, I managed to fix the Panzerfaust problem already (the Panzerfaust blast was damaging tanks as well as people inside damage radius, so damage was set to 100 (Panzerfaust detonation not able to kill a man) and radius was set low too. Now it damages tanks on impact only, and hardly by blast. Blast works only against people and now works just as detonation of few kg HE should do (so don't stay too close to target) :).

About sounds - there were multiple ricochet sounds in full soundpack, including some original ones, but to keep file size low for beta, only 2 are used in lite version. Same for penetration sound, only one is used currently. I used them in tests to be able easily recognise if a hit was penetration or ricochet. The original ricochet and penetration sounds were sometimes very similar to each other.

If anyone experience shell collision detection problems, please report it with details like on what map it happened, how big game was it, what weapon was firing, what was the range, if it was single event or happens more often, and what was wrong with it (was it unusual hit effect only, or there were no hit at all i.e. shell didn't collide with target at all and continued on the other side).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- The tank commander's binocularas have dual-magnification. Scroll up for increased zoom.
Sounds pretty good ( not only that, of course :D). May I ask: what about the alternative magnification of the Tank Sights -where available- and correction of the Zeiss-Sights sizes to correspond with reality?

And it is planned to implement further damage possibilities (Turret Jam, disabling guns, damaging optics, killing crew members, damaging wheels and tracks) and "real" effects for HE?

Hey, no critic or complaint, just a question ;).

Upvote 0
Even criticism is welcomed, and if it's well-founded it would be considered. Dual magnification sight requires more ingerence in the code than just adding second binocs zoom, so I will do it later. Only the most simple fixes were included in this release, but I believe that they already made totally different game.

BTW just yesterday I noticed that you can shoot a gun with the second binoc magnification :), only the first one designates artillery target. Also discovered that the binocs scale is in fact not calibrated... at first it appeared for me that the center triangle is 8/4 mils wide, but the distance between marks (that should be 16 mils according to RO tactical gude) is different... I have 4x4m target at 1000m range for calibration and with standard binocs zoom it fits to the center triangle width, but not fits at all to 1/2 of distance between marks as it should... :-/

Turret jam, gun disable, damagingof optics, killing crew members, damaging wheels and tracks - much of those things is planned, all is possible just it's a bit of coding. So it has to wait untill more important issues are finished. Killing of crew members is high on the priority list. Disabling the gun and turret jam would be good too, I have also better track damage system on my mind. It only going to take time, as I'm working slow. How do you exactly understand "damaging of wheels" and "real effects for HE" ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you should stick to the basics and make additional Mutators instead of one huge one changing everything. I really didn't like the new richochet sounds. They sounded like they were ripped from an outdated war movie, while the stock ones are much better. The tracers kind of bothered me as well because seeing shells bounce of tanks is a nice visual effect and discarding it makes tank fights a little dull. Regardless this is still a great mutator.

Upvote 0