• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

anyone making a modern day mod?

i personally think that having the U.S. Army in a realistic mod of modern combat would be a blunder. Think about it, thermal imaging, night vision, pin point air strikes, and somewhat better guns. the enemy better be able to turn into ghost or something because when the s**t hits the fan for them its over. America's army is way powerful most nations dont have the manpower or the armorment to take the U.S. army
Thank you

Upvote 0
Ah should have spotted this thread earlier :) Hi Meadow
I'm mainly a World War Two fan but personally I love see something different, personel problems aside, it would be a great idea to get a modern day RO mod out there.
BF-2 didn't cut it with view distance (Barret .50 Cal hint) was too small and when you fire the weapons it's like firing an automatic BB Gun tatatatatata!
When I was firing an SA-80 A2 (L85) on automatic Tisother day the thing I noticed about it is the way it moves around in your hands, not so BF2 but the feel of the weapon moving is more well implemented on RO. Also got look at it's real FPS view (look through the sites, close the site eye) and thought how good that would look ingame especially with a few of it's red tracers thrown in. Modern day weapons would be interesting given RO's realistic weapon interpretation and imagine the tanks! :D
Somalia vs Ethiopia Conflict? wow that was an idea born weird but it's a good one would love to be the Sammies, they practically invented the Karma-sutra of AK-47 firing :p

Upvote 0
i personally think that having the U.S. Army in a realistic mod of modern combat would be a blunder. Think about it, thermal imaging, night vision, pin point air strikes, and somewhat better guns. the enemy better be able to turn into ghost or something because when the s**t hits the fan for them its over. America's army is way powerful most nations dont have the manpower or the armorment to take the U.S. army
Thank you
In smaller scale actions they can't use all of their resources, Although I admit some of those are rather fancy :)

Upvote 0
There's plenty of conflicts where the US hasn't played a mayor role, but the sun revolves around america.

And why does it have to be a historic or plaussible conflict? who really gives a **** anyways, it's not like we play RO to recreate history, at least I play it because it's fun. And I think the mechanics of RO would be a lot of fun with some modern weapons, no matter how ridiculous the premise.

Upvote 0
And I bet you're one of those Americans who does not understand why America has a reputation for arrogance. If something kicked off in Europe, eg Germany vs France (purely hypothetically) and no nuclear weapons were used, do you really think the USA would bother to get involved? Or if Britain were invaded by France, or anyone for that matter. Don't try and tell me the USA would lift a finger, we all know that the 'special relationship' is entirely one-sided.

What an oxymoron, that in itself was a pretty arrogant thing to say. America has always involved itself and helped in wars fought by other nations. In WW1 and WW2 the US was thrown face first into those wars to help the Allies against the Axis in conflicts that only took place in Europe and parts of Asia. During the Korean War the Americans again helped the Allies to secure South Korea and again in Vietnam they helped the French who at the end ran off and made them fight that war by themselves.

The only wars that have been started by America itself has been the recent conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. I don't see how you can say that the American relationship is one-sided when America as shown through history that they would help any Allie nation who is at war with any other nation not an Allie but when she goes to war their allies back away from helping her in conflicts she is in like Iraq. Now that is what I call one-sided.

And in all honesty I do not expect the US would help countries in Europe if they were being attacked by an aggressive state, provided that state would have played ball with the US government/economy (see 'the Nazis').

America would be the first ones to actually go help as the UN dances around the issue and tries to figure out what is going on, leading to doing nothing.

Other than the US, as far as taking action is concerned the British have proven that they are really the only nation that takes being an Allie serious when it comes to helping each other in conflict.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Heh, sorry you see me as arrogant. America's contribution in WWII was a fine one, and all due credit to her. But where was she in the Suez Crisis? Or in the Falklands? In both, she actively discouraged the use of force by her apparent 'allie' Britain, who has backed her in everything she does. I do not see this as 'evidence throughout history' that she has always 'helped an allie'.

Also, your facts about Korea and Vietnam are incorrect. Korea was a UN operation which the US was a large part of. As for Vietnam, I find your misconceptions about the French very amusing. The Indochinese War (where the Viet Minh drove the French out of North Vietnam) finished in 1954, a full 9 years before US troops arrived in the country! How this is the US 'helping the French who ran off' I do not understand. And also, they did not arrive to help the French, but to prevent all of Vietnam becoming Communist as they feared the spread of communism (see the stepping stone theory) through Asia.

Additionally, and I hate to say this, WWII was over 60 years ago. The USA's international policy has changed considerably since then. She is no longer the friend of her 'allies' she once was. I'm sorry that you believe the propaganda about America always going to the aid of nations under threat or in a dictatorship. Where is the USA in the Sudan? Where were they in Chile?

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, and I expect you'll come back with the one-size-fits-all 'you just hate the USA and our freedoms' answer, but that's in no way true. Having been to the USA, I love it as a country. Some of its people, I have reservations with. Its government I despise. But as a country I love it.

Next time, please look into your facts before stating things which are offensive, naive and in some cases very untrue! And please, don't brand me as arrogant for pointing out the simple facts of the matter, and indeed for stating my opinion. If the US would jump in straight away to a war in Europe as you say, why has it not intervened in the countless wars in Africa? And as far as I remember, the peacekeeping work in Eastern Europe has been led by the United Nations, an organisation you say would just beat about the bush and not get anything done! Tell that to the people of Kosovo, my friend.

Upvote 0
Some interresting modern war :

- the israeli vs arab coalition (syria, egypt etc ...) the first wars was done with ww2 stuff (pzr4, su152, sherman) so i'm sure ww2 people will love it.
- (fantasy) ussr vs china since there was always some conflict at the frontiers.
- less cool :)() but interresting, Sth america guerilla conflict.
- Falklands has already been said but it's still a good idea.
- some african wars (south or north) also.

Upvote 0
Heh, sorry you see me as arrogant. America's contribution in WWII was a fine one, and all due credit to her. But where was she in the Suez Crisis? Or in the Falklands? In both, she actively discouraged the use of force by her apparent 'allie' Britain, who has backed her in everything she does. I do not see this as 'evidence throughout history' that she has always 'helped an allie'.

Also, your facts about Korea and Vietnam are incorrect. Korea was a UN operation which the US was a large part of. As for Vietnam, I find your misconceptions about the French very amusing. The Indochinese War (where the Viet Minh drove the French out of North Vietnam) finished in 1954, a full 9 years before US troops arrived in the country! How this is the US 'helping the French who ran off' I do not understand. And also, they did not arrive to help the French, but to prevent all of Vietnam becoming Communist as they feared the spread of communism (see the stepping stone theory) through Asia.

Additionally, and I hate to say this, WWII was over 60 years ago. The USA's international policy has changed considerably since then. She is no longer the friend of her 'allies' she once was. I'm sorry that you believe the propaganda about America always going to the aid of nations under threat or in a dictatorship. Where is the USA in the Sudan? Where were they in Chile?

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, and I expect you'll come back with the one-size-fits-all 'you just hate the USA and our freedoms' answer, but that's in no way true. Having been to the USA, I love it as a country. Some of its people, I have reservations with. Its government I despise. But as a country I love it.

Next time, please look into your facts before stating things which are offensive, naive and in some cases very untrue! And please, don't brand me as arrogant for pointing out the simple facts of the matter, and indeed for stating my opinion. If the US would jump in straight away to a war in Europe as you say, why has it not intervened in the countless wars in Africa? And as far as I remember, the peacekeeping work in Eastern Europe has been led by the United Nations, an organisation you say would just beat about the bush and not get anything done! Tell that to the people of Kosovo, my friend.

I'm sorry, I can't resist

BOOYAH! PWNED

Back on topic:

Some nice ideas there Seth.

Upvote 0
The Iraq war with properly impemented insurgent tactics would be cool.

Insurgents can hide weapons in drawers, closets, under beds etc.

IEDs can be created with salvaged 203 rounds from bodies, mortar shells, dud arty rounds. They can even be strapped to your chest or a car.

And makeshift weapons such as brooms with claymores attached to them would own.

Upvote 0
If the US would jump in straight away to a war in Europe as you say, why has it not intervened in the countless wars in Africa? And as far as I remember, the peacekeeping work in Eastern Europe has been led by the United Nations, an organisation you say would just beat about the bush and not get anything done! Tell that to the people of Kosovo, my friend.

The US has actually been to Kosovo before as well as other parts of Africa during differing random engagements. Getting involved in every single conflict in Africa would just be insane. The amount of violence in Africa pales in comparison to the Middle-East and that is saying a lot. Being in the Middle-East has cost a ton of lives, just imagine a full scale conflict with the amount of violence that is in Africa. It would cost a lot more time, lives and money than Iraq. Do you remember the military failures in Africa that occurred during the times of the Clinton administration? How could the US even get involved in Africa now, being as overextended as it is in the Middle-East. Defeating the Iraqi insurgency has been hard, how much more difficult do you think getting rid of the many African Warlords would be? It would be a nice bloody conflict that the Iraq issue would pale in comparison with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Next time, please look into your facts before stating things which are offensive, naive and in some cases very untrue! And please, don't brand me as arrogant for pointing out the simple facts of the matter, and indeed for stating my opinion.

Was the rest of my post (helpfully quoted above) too controversial for you? Shame really. Anyway, yes, you're right, it would be impractical to fight every African war. That doesn't really change the fact that the USA doesn't give two shakes about its allies, as demonstrated in my above post, which you'll have to respond to properly if you want me to respond equally properly.

Upvote 0