• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

all these guys say, "fix my Tiger"

no its the fact on Arad, the IS2 sits back in their spawn on a 11 or 1 oclock angle, and proceed to decimate the Tigers and Panthers, and Mark IV's, over and over and over again, they dont have to leave spawn, and it doesnt matter if you angle the Tiger it still kills you in one to two shot period, it is higly unfair when a Tigers 88 shell is repeatedly ricocheting off an IS2 every damn time, russian fan boys of the IS2 know this and they proceed to do it every damn time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, "IS-2 Rock" is getting quite infamous on the Arad map; I've seen two IS-2's sneaking behind it to pound the snot out of whatever comes over the spawn ridge on the German side- and of course they can do it with no fear of being hit and killed, unless it's a total fluke shot that gets through.

Arad itself is quite infamous for its complement of 'one-shot Tigers' that seem to explode if a T-34 shell merely grazes it.

Why is it that Tigers seem to be so paper-thin and under-gunned on Arad, yet somewhat stronger in both areas on Orel? I know it can't be the relatively short average map ranges of Arad, because I've been in an angled Tiger and have still been taken out by a T-34/76 at 800 meters- AFTER I've hit the T-34 TWICE on frontal hull armor (I reference my earlier post in which I related that I was able to consistently take out T-34/85's with frontal hull armor shots with a PzIII- APCR AND AP- usually with kills in one shot) which leads me to believe the TIger is under-gunned or T-34's over-armored, at the very least, on the Arad maps.

::sigh::

(Why does this post sound like almost every other post from Tiger aficionados?!)

Upvote 0
Yes, "IS-2 Rock" is getting quite infamous on the Arad map; I've seen two IS-2's sneaking behind it to pound the snot out of whatever comes over the spawn ridge on the German side- and of course they can do it with no fear of being hit and killed, unless it's a total fluke shot that gets through.

Arad itself is quite infamous for its complement of 'one-shot Tigers' that seem to explode if a T-34 shell merely grazes it.

Why is it that Tigers seem to be so paper-thin and under-gunned on Arad, yet somewhat stronger in both areas on Orel? I know it can't be the relatively short average map ranges of Arad, because I've been in an angled Tiger and have still been taken out by a T-34/76 at 800 meters- AFTER I've hit the T-34 TWICE on frontal hull armor (I reference my earlier post in which I related that I was able to consistently take out T-34/85's with frontal hull armor shots with a PzIII- APCR AND AP- usually with kills in one shot) which leads me to believe the TIger is under-gunned or T-34's over-armored, at the very least, on the Arad maps.

::sigh::

(Why does this post sound like almost every other post from Tiger aficionados?!)
Here's the deal: T34/76 cannot penetrate the Tiger or Panther frontally at any range with AP (they will richochet all day long). T34/85 can penetrate the Tiger frontally with AP. It cannot penetrate the Panther frontally with AP. IS2 is the only tank that can penetrate the Panther frontally. Any Russian tank can destroy a Tiger or Panther frontally IF it uses HE (it takes a ton of HE rounds but eventually they will be destroyed through attrition). So to sum it up: Panther is the best tank in the game.

Upvote 0
people need to learn about these tanks before they make statements.. I like to know where the heck theygot the info on the panther having more firepower than the tiger? the tiger was the top german tank and the top tank in the war at the time.. don't think just because the 88 isn't as big of a gun as the 122mm is2 that it isn't comparible because it is.. the 88 was a high velocity shell that was second to none.. the first version of the tiger 1 was 56 calibres long and could take out any allied tank at that time way out of their effective range. When they came out with the new 88version 71 calibres long (king tiger,elefant,) it was the most powerful gun in the war.. it could penetrate an IS2 at over 1200 yards.. the tiger and KingTiger were the top tanks.. Then there there's the other tanks germany had that had very limited production that few people heard of but were terror amongst the allies like the JagdTiger. The most devastating tank in the war.. Its gun was recorded to take out tanks at 3500+ meters and it's armor was 250mm so it was invincible. It's a good thing these monsters aren't in the game or else russia wouldnt stand a chance in a head to head battle..

Again and again confusing a good tank with the more armored tank. :rolleyes:
The panther cannon was so good like tiger's (I) one, and better if you see the penetration tables. It was quicker tank and has a better armor (inclined armor), and was cheaper to construct..Panther was better than tiger I .

Tiger II and Jagdtiger were 2 monsters designed with nosense. They maked slow and enormous monsters when allies had absolut control in air combat. More, germans had a lot of problems with Tiger I mechanics, but they rescue a lot of them with others tiger, bur..how to rescue monsters of 70 tons???

Tiger II was too slow, with problems in transmision that broke easily because of its overweight. The motor wasn't enought. More important, when designed, German hasnt enought fuel to make move their divisions, and dedicated important resources to make this monster. Resources that could be better used making jagdpanther or panthers.

Jagdtiger was a monster that had the same (and more) problems that tiger II. It has an easily breakable suspension. It was very tall, and an easy target to allies aircraft. The cannon was Huge, but so huge that needed separate projectile and propellant..that its, a very slow charging cannon.

Tiger II and Jagdtiger, in defensive positions and hided from airplanes, were terrible weapons, but that doesnt means that were better than tiger I, Panther or JagdPanther (this tank killer was really a good weapon)

Another "terrible" weapon like this monsters was the SturmTiger, another waste of resources.

Upvote 0
Explain to me how the Panther is only on par with the T34/85? Last time I checked the T34/85 could not penetrate the Panther frontally at all and is eaten alive by it at any kind of range. You German lovers never quit with the exaggeration and half truths do you? Just like you all cry that Arad is so unfair for the Germans yet I see it won frequently by both sides.

The Panther is more than a match for the T34/85, and in the right hands is nigh indestructible and can chew the 'mighty' IS-2 to pieces.

From my experience, the Panther can and does get knocked out alot by 85s and IS2s if the tankers in each are of the same skill. If you get a good tanker in a Panther then it is nigh on indestrucable, you can sit on the German Arad hill all day long and kill anything that you see, but that really is the only place you can pull that off, even then the IS-2s and 85s will have to have inexperinced tankers, plus there's the magical t-34 angled front/armour (and don't say just move, the amount of times a Panther gets tracked in a firefight is insane). Ogledow, the Panther is the only tank to have a chance against the enemy tanks, same for Orel. And you only ever get 2(Arad 4) of em. This is why the Panther is only on par with the t-34/85.

I'm not even a German fanboi, I play Russians more to have fun when I tank, rather than get in a Pz4 and be a smoking wreck 2 minutes outside of spawn.

Upvote 0
Is it possible that tanks on specific maps have had their armor values messed with?

I know on Muddy Tigers one of the things that the mapper did was to make the Tigers less prone to damage from HE shells. Perhaps this is what's up with Arad and why there seems to be so many varying stories about how "Oh YEAH?? Well how come MY tank seems to get killed all the time on THIS map???"

This would go a LONG way towards explaining why Arad seems so problematic for people (even aside from the short range issue) and why maps like Orel and BDJ seem to perform differently.

Upvote 0
Here's the deal: T34/76 cannot penetrate the Tiger or Panther frontally at any range with AP (they will richochet all day long). T34/85 can penetrate the Tiger frontally with AP. It cannot penetrate the Panther frontally with AP. IS2 is the only tank that can penetrate the Panther frontally. Any Russian tank can destroy a Tiger or Panther frontally IF it uses HE (it takes a ton of HE rounds but eventually they will be destroyed through attrition). So to sum it up: Panther is the best tank in the game.

You're referring to real life info or ingame info? :p

Since I have seen few situations where SU-76 have richocheted about 3-5 shells from Panther and PzIVH (Ogledow), while SU destroyed both of them with two shells.

I guess it's just the very high quality Russian engineering that a piece of paper can take out rock and stone just by giving very deadly gaze of it's real dread visage :cool:

Upvote 0
You're referring to real life info or ingame info? :p

Since I have seen few situations where SU-76 have richocheted about 3-5 shells from Panther and PzIVH (Ogledow), while SU destroyed both of them with two shells.

I guess it's just the very high quality Russian engineering that a piece of paper can take out rock and stone just by giving very deadly gaze of it's real dread visage :cool:
I'm talking about in game. Also it's impossible for the SU-76 to destroy the Panther frontally with AP rounds. With HE rounds? yes but it takes a bunch of them. So I don't know what you were seeing. If the tanks were very close( like 70 meters or less) the penetration values change so shells can sometimes penetrate things they normally don't.

Upvote 0
Looks like a Panther to me. Wide tracks and the spaced armor on the side.

Now do it at 1300m under fire.

One thing many people seem to be forgetting is the numbers of certain German and Soviet AFVs produced and their frequency of use of the front lines. The IS-2 wasn't very prolific, but the Panther was. The Panther was the second or third most produced tank of the war. We're given mostly PzIV F2/Hs in game and a few StuGs, Tigers or Panthers. For the most part, Panthers should be making up a much greater bulk of German forces. Remember the Arad and Barashka "realism" maps? Those maps have correct German tank loadouts. And yeah, every jackass and his mother whines " zomg imba imba" but I've seen the Soviets win on both maps around 40-50% of the time. It's simply a matter of letting the solo tankers get their asses handed to them by a bunch of Panthers a few rounds before they start cooperating and fighting like a Russian tanker and not a 14 year old middle class kiddie.

And just for the record, I want these "realism" versions of maps to become standard. I play Soviet almost 80% of the time on these maps as it's more fun.

Remember, the 34/85 was capable of smashing through the Tiger's frontal armor at 500m or less. While this doesn't work in game (34/85 @ 800m on Arad knocked me out with a single shot to the front), we should keep in mind that these are Germany's early/mid war tanks and were later made obsolete on paper.

Upvote 0
I have much less of a problem with the Tiger or any tank as such as I have with the whole angled armor system altogether.

Just slightly angle the T34 and a Pz4H won't be able to penetrate it at all... not even from 10m away, and not even the side armor. Then one time your T34/76 blows up a Tiger at 300m with one shot to the side and the next time, in the exact same situation you can't. Is that realistic? I'm no expert but I kinda think not. Of course there's some randomness in real life, but in RO it's 50 per cent luck.

Stop debating about single tanks that don't match their real life counterpart to 100% ... it's the whole system that is, simple as that, fubar and in a early beta stage at most.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have much less of a problem with the Tiger or any tank as such as I have with the whole angled armor system altogether.

Just slightly angle the T34 and a Pz4H won't be able to penetrate it at all... not even from 10m away, and not even the side armor. Then one time your T34/76 blows up a Tiger at 300m with one shot to the side and the next time, in the exact same situation you can't. Is that realistic? I'm no expert but I kinda think not. Of course there's some randomness in real life, but in RO it's 50 per cent luck.

Stop debating about single tanks that don't match their real life counterpart to 100% ... it's the whole system that is, simple as that, fubar and in a early beta stage at most.

I don't know if I'd say it's in early beta, but I definitely agree that the problem is with the ENTIRE system, and that people only seize on the "ZOMG!! Teh T1g3r CAN'T Kill EVARYTH1nG!!!" or "ZOMG!! Teh T-34 can withstand ANY SHOT!!!!" because those are the most obvious matchups that show the issue.

There's plenty of times when your T-34/76 won't be able to penetrate an angled Pz IV or Pz III or Stug III, no matter what you do. There's times where an IS-2 has shots bounce off the Tiger at less than 500m simply because it's angled.

The problem is with how angling affects the ENTIRE armor system, not any one tank.

Upvote 0
well that may be but how come everyone notices it with the t-34 or is-2?

it may be possible to angle with a tiger or other german tank and withstand a few lucky pings off your tank but you will always die eventually.

A t-34 or is-2 can stand off and litterally be imperviable there is no doubt what ever kind of shady stuff is going on where ever the numbers are input or shapes designed or whatever is used in the system a man puts the codes higher or uses the effect for the russians.

its funny to hear all the comebacks on the t-34 "a German tank can be parked at an angle and......" BS it happens every game all the time every 5 minutes with the t-34 it is permaneant.

If the system is screwed on a fundamental level and cant be fixed that may explain it. Maybe the developers know it will never be fixed and leave it and are already working on their next money making project and are just going the hillary clinton route just dont say anything about it and dont let anyone ask you questions about it and never answer any questions about it just ignore it until its over.

If they dont make it about litterally 2300% easier to knock a tank track off in the next patch then I am giving up on seeing any actual impovements in the tank system in any future updates. You can shoot a tank track untill all your ammo is gone from 20 feet away and not throw it?? satchel charges should only throw a track in my opinion yet they never never throw just a track.

So as you go on you find out this is not truly a reality based game its still just an arcade game if the designers are making desicions on pleasing the masses and decisions that by defenition are not realistic. like the many descisions you always hear the designers talking about "to balance out the game" that means " we are moving further away from the original idea to please the masses by making things more unrealistic to make all the Counter Strike players happy"

I remember when we played RO with one room and everyone in the whole world al fit in one room and the designers and modders always made fun of counter strike and the players that always said counter strike this and counter strike that. you could identify them by the people who ask where is my crosshairs? then they proceed to say " Counter stirke has crosshairs blah blah" at that point everyone would yell at the counterstrike players and set them straight by saying how lame it is compared.

The minute I heard RO would be released on steam I hate to say it but it is the text book defenition of "SELLING OUT" sorry but it is I am not hating on them they made the $$ but it seems everyone who voted it best mod when they won the prize it seems they said " well we got the vote and the engine and the $$ so now we dont have to pay attention to what the players taht made this mod what it is say anymore. that is just how I feel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well that may be but how come everyone notices it with the t-34 or is-2?

Because pretty much that's all the Russians drive, dude. On the official maps, anyway, the SU-76 isn't all that plentiful.

What's more, people have the notion that the German tanks had uberguns that could destroy anything and everything they saw, and also that tanks like the Tiger and Panther were nigh unkillable.

This, of course, is a complete misunderstanding of how tanks operate, but it does explain why people go "ZOMG!!! TEH TIGER!!! TEH T34!!! I CAN'T KILLZ IT!!1!!"

When people have the general notion that the Tiger is the be-all/end-all of tank warfare, if it doesn't perform according to their fantasies, they're gonna speak up.

They may, however, not recognize a flaw when, say, a Pz IV H, parked at the perfect angle, and at a distance of less than 500m, somehow manages to shrug off literally every T-34/76 shell fired at it, EVEN IF the turret is facing directly at the T-34, and said T-34 is firing shots AT THE TURRET.

People notice what is in their own narrow self-interest or whatever doesn't conform to their notions of reality. No more, no less. So, when people join this game with a preconceived notion of how the Tiger this and the Germans that, when they see something in game that doesn't jive with that notion, they kick up a ruckuss.

it may be possible to angle with a tiger or other german tank and withstand a few lucky pings off your tank but you will always die eventually.

As you will with ALL tanks, assuming you're NOT playing on Arad where you have trouble flanking people. On the other hand, if you play on Arad and pick a good spot, you can generally stay put for quite a while -- on BOTH sides, I might add -- effectively angled and with your hull down. As long as you actually DO stay put and don't get impatient and turn around, you can do pretty well for a while. But no one lasts forever in this game. Everyone gets their ticket punched sooner or later, even in Russian armor.

A t-34 or is-2 can stand off and litterally be imperviable there is no doubt what ever kind of shady stuff is going on where ever the numbers are input or shapes designed or whatever is used in the system a man puts the codes higher or uses the effect for the russians.

As I said, a German tank can take advantage of the same limitations of the armor system. The problem may be MORE obvious with the Russian tanks, but I think that's more a function of people's overabundance of information about German armor, and a general lack of info about Russian armor, not to mention the general assumptions and preconceived notions about how German vs. Russian armor performed.

its funny to hear all the comebacks on the t-34 "a German tank can be parked at an angle and......" BS it happens every game all the time every 5 minutes with the t-34 it is permaneant.

I recommend you spend the next month playing as nothing but the Russians and see how long you last on average. Try it. You may change your tune. It's true that smart tankers can set themselves up to be pretty well invulnerable, but it's not true that they're unkillable, nor that the Russians are somehow favored on purpose.

If the system is screwed on a fundamental level and cant be fixed that may explain it. Maybe the developers know it will never be fixed and leave it and are already working on their next money making project and are just going the hillary clinton route just dont say anything about it and dont let anyone ask you questions about it and never answer any questions about it just ignore it until its over.

Without getting into the conspiracy theory or political aspects of this, I'd say the issue is that they've got other fish to fry at the moment. Or perhaps that they're still testing things and don't want to release something that only changes the problems rather than eliminating them altogether. Or perhaps it really is just an engine limitation and we can only do so much without completely boggind down server CPUs and screwing EVERYONE'S game experience across the board.

I'll also say this: the problems with the tank system are plentiful and global. The Russian tanks may benefit more from these problems than the German tanks -- I don't have the numbers on that -- but it likely is NOT intentional. Generally speaking, I'd say the major issues are that angling seems to significantly multiply the effectiveness of armor -- perhaps beyond realistic values, and that turrets aren't treated separately from the tank's hull. The track issue is part of this same problem, I think -- basically that not enough individual parts of the tank are modeled with separate armor values.

Russian tanks may have some numerical advantages in terms of how their armor gets treated in the game, but I'm betting that at least by comparison, they're roughly realistic values vs. the German armor. In other words, if the russian armor for the T-34 is overall equal to "58" and the Tiger armor is equal to "67", the proportions are scaled accurately for the game.

What is likely the problem is the issue of angling and what THAT does to the numbers. Maybe it's a simple problem of multipliers and penetration values of various tank rounds at various ranges. I don't know. But I can tell you it's NOT limited to the Russian tanks. There are plenty of situations where I'll be in a russian tank and shoot at a German one only to say to myself (loudly), "Oh BS!!! In real life that guy'd be toast!!"

[insert various ranting here]

Look, I understand the frustration, but lashing out at the devs ain't gonna make 'em hop to and fix whatever's wrong with the system. It's more likely to get you banned from the boards. I'm not saying this as a "Dude, STFU and don't complain" thing, mind you. I'm saying it as a matter of self-preservation on the boards here, and self-interest in convincing the devs of what's wrong and the need to fix it (and possibly your solution -- whatever it is -- being the right one), you may want to tone it down.

Upvote 0
From my experience, the Panther can and does get knocked out alot by 85s and IS2s if the tankers in each are of the same skill. If you get a good tanker in a Panther then it is nigh on indestrucable, you can sit on the German Arad hill all day long and kill anything that you see, but that really is the only place you can pull that off, even then the IS-2s and 85s will have to have inexperinced tankers, plus there's the magical t-34 angled front/armour (and don't say just move, the amount of times a Panther gets tracked in a firefight is insane). Ogledow, the Panther is the only tank to have a chance against the enemy tanks, same for Orel. And you only ever get 2(Arad 4) of em. This is why the Panther is only on par with the t-34/85.

I'm not even a German fanboi, I play Russians more to have fun when I tank, rather than get in a Pz4 and be a smoking wreck 2 minutes outside of spawn.
Like I said T34/85 cannot penetrate the Panther frontally. If you are in a Panther don't bother with the 45 degree angling (you just risk side/track damage for no reason) just face it head on because the only thing that can touch it is the IS2. If I was in a Panther (which I never am) I would simply look for IS2 because those are the only ones that a Panther has to worry about in frontal engagements. All other Russian tanks should not be your primary target unless they are trying to flank you (or there are currently no IS2's to worry about. Play smart.

About the T34/85 being on par with the Panther I don't think so. T34/85 can be penetrated frontally by every German tank I believe. While Panther only by 1 Russian tank. So Panther is pretty good I'd say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rehash of previous posts...

Problem:
Perceived 'nerfing' of some or all armored vehicles in the RO inventory.

Solution(s):
a) Accept the game as it's presented, sans uber-realistic armor values/penetration/angling factors, and just play the game;
b) Perform a) and wait until such time as the devs- or more likely a modder- comes up with a more fair and workable system; or
c) Learn coding and fix it yourself- being prepared, of course, to endure countless e-mails and forum posts whining about some inconsistency you didn't pick up on but on which the fate of the universe hangs on.

I've said all of this before, but basically it doesn't matter WHAT you think a Tiger or T-34 should or should not act like in the game; you still have to play the vehicle as it's presented utilizing all of its strengths and flaws to the best effect. If a certain mapper mods your favorite tank to act like you want it to, by all means frequent his maps and have a great time- it's your game, after all. On the other hand, if you don't like the way a particular map is laid out or how the vehicles behave on it, don't complain- nobody is forcing you to play on that map or even on that server. Be aware, though, that while a dev or modder is 'fixing' your Tiger or Panther, he may very well be 'fixing' your neighbor's T-34 at the same time- and it may not be to your liking.

Upvote 0
whoever said that the tiger cannot be frontally penetrated by a t34 76 dosent know his stuff. its happened to me about 5 to 10 times, where my tank is frontally penetrated by a t34 76 at about 100m or less. so yes it happens, and its F#$^#$^&#$&#&#&#$&^%*U^&*I^&*I annoying.
yes Colt you are Right it has happend to me :p Also the su76 always Takes 2 shots to kill most of the time with a Tiger:eek::D

Last edited:
Upvote 0