• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Fishing Thread

So who here likes to go fishing? I'm a bass fisherman mostly, I prefer to catch small mouths, they put up a better fight than small mouths. I also do some trout fishing in the spring, but the last couple years have been pretty boring fishing because an increase in fisherman to the rivers I like. These extra fishermen spook all the trout and they don't put back any to be caught later. :(

There is nothing odd about fishing, fishing has went on for centuries!

One of my favorite bass lures ever was the clear medium sized "torpedo" that thing was DYNAMITE but they discontinued the clear one and came out with other colors and none of them were any good. I guess the clear body with the two black spots on the back made the bass curious as to what it actually was.

Upvote 0
I fish Missouri farm ponds a lot, and take whatever bites my lure. Some times I'll come across a farm pond that hasn't been fished for 10 years, and catch 8 pound bass like nothing. Then when I feel like chillin' out with some bobber fishing, I'll slap 3 treble hooks onto a leader and put a chicken liver on each one. Sink that baby to the floor of the farm pond, and it won't uncommon to snag a 2 foot catfish.

I've never had much luck with lakes, or streams for that matter. Ponds are where its at fellas.

Upvote 0
small rivers are by far the best, they have the most fish and the scenery always changes if you float down it. I've caught my biggest fish in rivers, I once caught a 3 1/2 foot long fallfish. My dad likes to fish for carp, there is a river nearby that has a deep spot in it where the carp live, they get HUGE, my dad says they are strongest fish he has ever caught and that includes those large salmon from Alaska.

Also the two nearby rivers here have bald eagles, it's really a neat thing to see one since they are so rare. Oh by the way the largest bass I've caught is a 24 inch Smallmouth, O BOY now that was a battle!

Upvote 0
I tied my first trout fly when I was 4 years old, A Purple Woolly Bugger. I was not old enough to cast a Fly Rod then, but my dad caught trout out of the Truckee River with it. I would just bait-fish.

When we moved back to Kalifornya, we started Bass Fishing, Large-mouth out of local lakes and ponds. When I was about 11 I started tying Bass Flies with the help of Dave Whitlock via instructional articles in magazines and books.

When I was 14 I was invited to tie flies at the San Mateo International Sportsman's Expo. Got to meet my fishing Hero Dave Whitlock in person, who was quite impressed at my skill, me being so young.

Recently I have bought a new G-Loomis Drop-Shot Rod with a Shimano Stradic spinning reel. :cool: I have stopped using the Carolina Rig altogether in favor of the sure-fire Drop Shot method.

Upvote 0
I haven't fished in ages, not since the eagles gutted the pond next to my house about 2 years ago :(

I do, however, remember this one time when I visited my relatives in Minnesota when I was a little turd. We caught so many fish (can't remember what kind, I think it was sunfish) and my brother even caught a catfish with his chewing gum. Brilliant :)

Upvote 0
w00t i worked on a sportfishing boat in the summer. I get on free on all the sport fishing boats in los angeles because my dad knows all the captians.
heres where we went fishing in mexico..and ill dig up, some pics of fish later
puntodiablo.jpg

Upvote 0
BuddyLee I'm more or less in the same area as you, except I'm not as into fishing as I used to be.

I first started tying flies when I was about 10, I built my own fishing rod a year later (with the help of a local fly shop, of course). Has anybody ever heard of the Patuxent Special? It's a famous fly here in the mid-atlantic region. The guy who made it helped me build my rod. Unfortunately the store went out of business and I lost contact with them.

I fish for trout via flyfishing, and panfish with normal spinning tackle. I love catching sunfish, crappie, and bass.

Upvote 0