• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

In the event of Zombie attack.....

Slow zombies?

STG44, no contest. You get six magazines (180 rounds), it's select-fire, and it's decently accurate. I considered the PPSh or PPD (at 213 rounds apiece), but they're not as well-suited to aimed single shots.

IRL, I'd take my SKS with a scout-mounted reflex optic, and as much ammo as I could carry. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The reason zombies are slow is to conserve energy. They need to find food since they don't eat "alive" fellow zombies unless really desperate, and even then they only kill off the ones who won't last much longer anyway (power in numbers does not elude them). This is why zombies are dumb, the brains of humans eat up a lot of energy and oxygen compared to other animals, now that most of it is turned/killed off during "zombification" they have more resources to use elsewhere. Thats also why they walk so slow and why if you put a hole in their lungs/throat they can keep moving because they are still using the oxygen already in their system. Though they eventually die because they will run out of oxygen in "reserve" without lungs, unless your talking about the RE zombies which can regenerate. Also, a bullet in the spinal cord doesn't gurantee a zombie will die, you could just make it not be able to control its legs.

Upvote 0
Alright, lets mix it up.

We now assume fast zombies, with knives as weapons.

They are smart, and will often attempt to flank you and cut you off from cover
Same.

STG-44. Automatic fire for when it becomes absolutely necessary, with aimed semiauto for when I have time to set up my shots.

Are you still talking about zombies if they're intelligent?

Upvote 0
Ideally, I'd go with my Marlin .22. Scoped and quiet (and easy to make a silencer for) so I can engage with precision and not draw in too many other shamblors. And like Buddy said; you can carry a couple thousand rounds reasonably. :D

If I'm limited to RO:O weapons and loadouts, I'm picking up my 91/30. It's accurate, I know it inside and out, and anything inside 200 yards is dead (vs undead). When I run out of ammo, the spike bayonet is superior to a blade-style for punching through skulls to disable zombies. If I have a problem with the bayonet, the 91/30 still makes a hell of a good war club. I'll just have to split their skulls with the iron butt plate.

Like Strother said: Go read the Zombie Survival Handbook. I've got it on my bookshelf. A powerful firearm isn't needed. A concealable firearm isn't needed (though they're great for non-zombie SHTF protection.) What's needed is something accurate and (hopefully) light. Full-auto is a liability. Semi-auto can be a liabitlity, it comes down to it.

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400049622

Zombies are only slightly smarter than CS kiddies, but they have much slower reflexes.

Upvote 0
The reason zombies are slow is to conserve energy. They need to find food since they don't eat "alive" fellow zombies unless really desperate, and even then they only kill off the ones who won't last much longer anyway (power in numbers does not elude them). This is why zombies are dumb, the brains of humans eat up a lot of energy and oxygen compared to other animals, now that most of it is turned/killed off during "zombification" they have more resources to use elsewhere. Thats also why they walk so slow and why if you put a hole in their lungs/throat they can keep moving because they are still using the oxygen already in their system. Though they eventually die because they will run out of oxygen in "reserve" without lungs, unless your talking about the RE zombies which can regenerate. Also, a bullet in the spinal cord doesn't gurantee a zombie will die, you could just make it not be able to control its legs.
They don't need to eat(Day) and they don't need to breathe(Land). As long as its brain is intact, its alive, even if its already in a coffin underground(Day). You can remove their internal organs and they'll just get pissed at you(Day). Severing the spinal cord will just make it crawl around with its hands(Dawn wasn't it?).

If you want a very good zombie mod while NMRIH is in development, check out The Killing Floor. Zombies may be slow, but they're f***ing quiet and they have a tendency to sneak up on you.

Upvote 0
I realy don't think oxygen has anything to do with zombies. The electrical impulses from the brain stimulates the muscle movement. There are cases where zombies have a hole in their throat or in their lungs and they lack blood so it is impossible to use oxygen but they are still alive. As long as the nervous system is intact they can operate as long as they don't decay, but I would assume their muscles would need some sort of moisture to be able to move properly, but I guess that is why the older the zombie the slower they are.

Upvote 0
BuddyLee, here's your prize:

ThreadNecromancer.jpg

Well Deserved :D

Upvote 0
If I'm able to go scrounging for ammo : MP-40.
It's accurate, slow firing enough to take single shots, is light, good in close quarters, and rugged.

If I'm NOT able to scrounge for ammo: PPsh (or alternatively PPS). For same reasons as above, but greater ammo capacity.

You STG guys have it all wrong. If the zombie is at long range, you're wasting your ammo shooting at it. At least for the "shambling" type, a zombie at that range is not an immediate threat to you. Add that into the fact that a headshot at those ranges is very unlikely, increasing the chance that you'll waste your bullet.

Also, I don't see the utility of a bayonet. You're not going to chop someone's head off with it, and you've got to be one strong dude to stab one through a human skull. If you're up close your best bet is the stock-bash. But if they're that close and you're out of ammo, you're probably toast anyway, ha.

If you HAVE ammo though, then close quarters survival is going to depend on quick aiming and volume of fire, which again favors SMGs.

Upvote 0