• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Jhaxavier

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006
Now don't go all "Omg, just go and find the 'Into the Lion's Den' mod for UT2k4!!!!111" on me just yet.

I think that a mod based off the SAS (or Specnaz, hell, any Total Kick Ass SWAT/special forces) would be cool. It would be, in a sense, the spiritual successor to games like 'Into the Lion's Den' or 'The Regiment', both of which are mostly dead (or extremely rare to find, in the case of 'The Regiment'). I know that Crille, Heinzi, and I have played TR and it's a barrel of fun (coop mode rocks!), but imagine the possibilities of it on the RO engine.

Now both games I've mentioned are based off on UT engines, so I know what it might be like; ItLD was made with the UT2k4 engine, and TR was made with the 2k4/2k3 engine (forgot which one). I'm not sure about ItLD, but TR was a hell of a lot of fun; there were about 20 training missions based on real room-clearing tactics of the SAS, weapons training, IFF, double tap training, etc etc etc. The real kicker was that the training was almost absolutely requried to play the game, even against the bots; I haven't played TR in ages and when I play offline/coop and I get shot to bits by not knowing where to position myself when clearing a room. The training makes you react hella fast too (required :eek:)

So anyway, there would be huge obstacles in making a mod like this...completely new models, animations, sounds, a whole damn total conversion. If coop mode was to be implemented, the bots would have to be given a complete overhaul; the RO ones are more mentally retarded than a farmed turkey. Training maps with guided audio and practical instructions would also be needed: not only would it increase the immersion (by knowing the basic tactics), but it would also be extremely useful in playing the game.

But imagine the realism that can be expressed through an SAS mod using the RO engine! It's difficult to try to say in words...try to get your hands on The Regiment and play it, then imagine it on teh RO engine. (however, be warned: you're more likely to find TR on a crack site than on Ebay...it's EXTREMELY rare due to it only being released in the UK)

Now I didn't actually back this up with any substance, for I have no talent at all in modeling, skinning, coding, or mapping. I'm the guy who's bursting at the seams with good and bad ideas but I can't do it myself :rolleyes:

Hope that gets some food for thought for ya. Cheers...

Last edited:
it's not a bad idea but with next gen engines round the corner with the amount of work it would need one of those would be better...realism can come from any engine given the right coding etc. not dumping on ur idea its a good one but maybe UE3.0 or Crytek 2 engines would future proof your mod a little more.

Upvote 0