• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Enemy indicator on screen

It's a realistic idea, but needs to be tweaked.

Right now you can spot enemies through smoke, and perhaps some obstructions. There are 2 areas of peripheral vision that I think are being modeled. The immediate close to the center area that you can't see when zoomed in or just outside the "monitor area", but should be able to tell at medium range friend from foe. I think that should be fine to only go off on enemies.

The other kind is the further from center, which should ONLY pick up movement. I don't think you should be able to tell friend from foe, nor spot non-moving people.

I think it's the second part needs to be tweaked.

Upvote 0
Yea, I think it's pretty well know. I've known about it since the beginning and it has no right at all being in this sort of game.

Only thing to fix is it should show friendlies too.

It's in Arma II, and it's there because 90 degrees field of view is unrealistically narrow. And it should be there, but it should be tweaked so it doesn't magically only show enemies.

Reactions: Nikita and Nazarov
Upvote 0
I never saw these in the past, but after some update in the past two months, I started noticing them pop up outta nowhere. These things drive me insane because in all honesty, I don't need them- I constantly check left and right to retain some level of situational awareness, and if I get killed because I got flanked, I know I need to just need to keep myself checking around more often and just be more aware. These things actually are really distracting to me because when I see one, I RARELY see an enemy in the open or even in that area. Personally, I'd like a player option to keep them or disable them (much like auto vs manual bolting).

Upvote 0
Amazing...I also have NEVER noticed this in my many many hours...must be that I'm sitting too close to my 22" screen!

Not that I'm a bada**, but I really don't think I need ANOTHER advantage over the noobs streaming in from the sales...I have been doing just fine so far; but apparently at a disadvantage the whole time against some (at least by not even knowing such a mechanism exists for others', even if I'm not using it!).

Fluttershy is right, we need a flippin' manual for this game with all of these many nuances regarding gameplay...amazing that I'm still discovering such things (intentionally incorporated or not).

At least that would put everyone on equal footing...this game's hard enough for newbies already :IS2:--->:eek:

In my opinion, though, it's an interesting idea to mimic peripheral movement situational awareness...but we should all be aware of its existence.

Upvote 0
Only thing to fix is it should show friendlies too.

It's in Arma II, and it's there because 90 degrees field of view is unrealistically narrow. And it should be there, but it should be tweaked so it doesn't magically only show enemies.

Why downvote? It's a perfectly legitimate argument. If someone has a different opinion, hit the reply button instead.

It's no secret that humans have a certain thing called pheripheral vision that aids them in detecting motion at the border of their field of vision. RO2 isn't giving you an unrealistic motion detector. It's giving you a real-life advantage you would possess in reality--one that few other shooters have bothered to include.

It needs fixing. A fair amount of fixing. But the idea itself is not flawed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, so instead of having my basic god given ability of sight, I have to sweep my mouse back and forth over and over and over while firing my MG because you think a normal human eyesight is catering to COD kiddies.

No I am 100% for this feature, I only think they should change the effect to make it more like an inaccurate blur moving across the side of your screen, not a dot showing exactly the position. If an enemy is moving beside you at a 90 degree angle, in real life you WOULD see them, our monitors replicate this.

You have no god-given ability of little balloons popping up indicating ONLY enemy movement. Have you noticed that? It's like a 22nd century detecting device that only sees enemies.

In real life, tunnel vision happens to a very large extent in any high pressure event. This is why you hear "keep your head on a swivel", and "go in with friends".

The indicators remove the requirement to be situationally aware, remove the need to act as a team, and punish players who have achieved breakthrough.

I don't care about COD, I'm sure its a fun game. My position comes from 15 years of gaming, and wanting a game I can play, instead of having a game play me.

Upvote 0
Why downvote? It's a perfectly legitimate argument. If someone has a different opinion, hit the reply button instead.

It's no secret that humans have a certain thing called pheripheral vision that aids them in detecting motion at the border of their field of vision. RO2 isn't giving you an unrealistic motion detector. It's giving you a real-life advantage you would possess in reality--one that few other shooters have bothered to include.

It needs fixing. A fair amount of fixing. But the idea itself is not flawed.

It is highly flawed for the reasons above.

Upvote 0
It is highly flawed for the reasons above.

I'm not arguing that it's perfect at all. Here's my input regarding fixes for it, but I don't think it should be removed--because pheripheral vision IS a god-given motion detector. That's why it evolved--the ability to distinguish sudden movements on the edges of one's field of vision favored individuals with that trait.

The indicators, however, should be:

--More subtle--perhaps just a very small point, or even a distorted blur.
--able to show friendlies as well as enemies
--more limited in range, only showing enemies out to 75 yards. Should not work through smoke.

Once they show friendlies, breakthroughs are rewarded because the soldier sneaking behind enemy lines will show up as an indicator that enemies will assume is on their side, based on how far away from the frontline they are.

Once they are made more subtle, concentrating intently on that Russian pinned behind the truck in the middle of the square will make it far more likely that you will miss the blur on the far left of your screen--natural tunnel vision, just as in reality.

Reactions: Cwivey
Upvote 0
not anywhere.. cant find it but need it.. lolol
well would you be able to post a picture? thanks :D :D

maybe you will see them if you re-adjust your monitor :D

That enemy indicator is also good to see the difference between friend or foo. If I see someone from a distance, but I'm not sure if he/she is friend or foo, then I just move my mouse to see if an enemy indicator pops in at the direction where he/she is hiding ;)

I agrea that it should popup for both friend and foo. That will also eliminate the above exploid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0