• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Requesting a Status Update on the "Speed Hack Detected" Issue:

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
Hello Tripwire, how are you today?

Good I hope.....

Anyways, I know people have been mentioning this issue from time to time and after reading a thread in the Steam forums from members still experiencing this issue, I figured I would pop in here and see if there is any update or information on this issue.

The "Speed Hack Detected" issue was something I had when I first started playing in the Beta and it was determined that it was related mostly to people using wireless connections for their internet, and compounded by others using the same internet connection. This would screw around with the available bandwidth for playing the game, which caused odd pings and lag spikes, which would make you appear to be jerking around on the map and players jumping around all over the place, which was usually followed by warnings that you were speed hacking and eventually kicked from the server.

I solved my issue by moving my computer closer to my modem so it could be wired into it and making sure nobody else was using the internet at the same time. This solved all my issues with the speed hacking issue, but others don't have that option for one reason or another.

Others have also said that no other game gives them this issue, except RO2, however I was also experiencing similar issues while playing BFBC2 via WiFi connection, but the issues were not as apparent as they are in RO2.

---------------------------

So it's been a while and I know a number of performance and networking tweaks have been made in previous patches to improve our gaming experience, but this issue still seems to be present for a few players.

It's because wireless is very unreliable and generally if you are slightly serious about gaming you're much better off using a wired connection. Saying that, some wireless connections are perfectly fine for gaming but it relies heavily on your environment as a lot of things interfere with wireless routers. A friend of mine gets huge ping spikes whenever someone is on their cordless phone for example. Even if you don't get this problem in other games(other games don't have a speed hack detection in the way RO does) you'll still be getting ping spikes even though you might not notice it as much

The reason the speed hack detected occurs is that your ping spikes, caused by the unreliability of your wireless connection. This makes you - according to the server - move a lot faster than you should and makes the speed hack detection kick in. The threshold for this and the response to a detected speed hack is a server setting - it can be turned off also.

Upvote 0
It's because wireless is very unreliable and generally if you are slightly serious about gaming you're much better off using a wired connection. Saying that, some wireless connections are perfectly fine for gaming but it relies heavily on your environment as a lot of things interfere with wireless routers. A friend of mine gets huge ping spikes whenever someone is on their cordless phone for example. Even if you don't get this problem in other games(other games don't have a speed hack detection in the way RO does) you'll still be getting ping spikes even though you might not notice it as much

The reason the speed hack detected occurs is that your ping spikes, caused by the unreliability of your wireless connection. This makes you - according to the server - move a lot faster than you should and makes the speed hack detection kick in. The threshold for this and the response to a detected speed hack is a server setting - it can be turned off also.

Agreed.... WiFi isn't the best for gaming, but as mentioned, some people just don't have the option to use something else, thus they are stuck.

If server admins could turn it off, that would help a lot of people out.... and admins could just boot anybody who is jolting around the map..... but you mentioned how it's not as noticeable in other games due to not having the speed hack detected issue occurring..... is there a way that Tripwire or Server Admins can make RO2 act in a similar fashion so that it's not so crippling for these players?

While I have similar effects and performance issues in other games when I used WiFi or when someone else was using the bandwidth, it was never as crippling to my gaming as what exists in RO2.... and once in a while when I'm wired into my modem, it does pop up, just not very often.

It just seems something is different between RO2 and other online games of similar design & I'm wondering if there is anything Tripwire could do easily to make RO2 fall more in line with network performance of other FPS's out there.

Basically, if people stuck on WiFi or slower connections have a difficult time playing RO2, but not with other games they own, logically they will stop playing RO2 and stick to those games that work...... which isn't really a good thing.

Granted, the % of the community experiencing this problem isn't what I'd considered as huge, but it's still a decent sized problem.

Upvote 0
Same here, its rare and I've never been kicked for it. I have a very wired connection.

Hmmm.... seems to happen more often than I expected.... it'd be nice if it was looked into and addressed in the next patch or the one after that.

I'm starting to think this issue with internet connection has a relation to my current issue of how I'm disconnected from servers, have to copy over those two Steam files, play a round, and end up having to copy them over again in order to keep playing.

There just seems to be something a miss with the networking in RO2 that pops up from time to time.

Reactions: Jason_Argo and TT33
Upvote 0

Just a recommendation to your friend: Go into the router settings and change the channel that the router is using (default is usually 6) most cordless phones run in that same frequency, just change it to 12, that will usually resolve some issues.

Upvote 0
Just a recommendation to your friend: Go into the router settings and change the channel that the router is using (default is usually 6) most cordless phones run in that same frequency, just change it to 12, that will usually resolve some issues.
Pretty sure he did that already as he's been having a ton of issues with it constantly but I'll make sure it isn't six at least

Upvote 0
tl;dr - blaming it on wireless is faulty at best. Punkbuster needs tweaking, or speed-hack detection needs turning off. Would anyone even notice, or care? :)

I honestly don't think this has anything to do with wireless - as mentioned before, most wireless connections are perfectly stable and lag-free these days - even in adverse conditions. Only the heaviest interference or a completely saturated connection will cause latency fluctuations. Granted, outside interference is common these days, but I'm afraid when TWI state such things it makes me think of support departments trying every possible excuse for a problem :)

I have a wired connection to my router, and always have - like a previous poster I see "speed hack detected" once, maybe twice a week. Whenever this has happened, it has been a result of the SERVER "throwing a wobbly" and inflating the pings of all connected players, maybe due to overloading - which results in every single player seeing the same warning, and potentially being kicked. Chat/VoIP has confirmed this on almost every occasion that I've suffered the problem - that is, confirmed that all other players suffered the same problem.

That isn't a dig at TWI, but since I'm currently in similar discussion with Razer over a dead mouse that's 1 year old, it frustrates me to read this kind of "wash your hands of it" response. The speed hack detection is a product of using PunkBuster - it is something each and every RO2 player COULD, and probably will come across in their time playing. Connected to a server in Amsterdam from the UK? Well, your traffic is going through several networks in France potentially, and if one of those routers fluctuates your traffic transfer rates and "bounces" your latency around, that could get you a speed hack warning, and you wouldn't even know why it had happened.

Since latency fluctuation is a reality when connected to all but the most expensive of internet connections - and isn't even guaranteed to be absent on those - it may be time to think about relaxing this particular PB detection type. It's basically like watching someone pull away fast from traffic lights, and because they reached 20mph quickly, stop monitoring and fine them for speeding in a 30mph limit - because they probably did exceed the limit. If however they just accelerated quickly to 25mph and never actually exceeded 30mph, you've applied a fine without having complete knowledge of what happened. Speed hack detection is exactly this - for the most part, false positive and as a result, a kick of a non-cheating player from a server where a game was in progress. It sucks. Does it even catch real cheaters? I doubt it.

Reactions: Jason_Argo
Upvote 0
Speedhack detection has nothing to do with PunkBuster. It is a server side setting that is part of the unreal engine. It triggers when clients and server are running at different speed.

There is a threshold that servers can adjust to change what this is. We are looking into potentially upping the default threshold.

Upvote 0
Speedhack detection has nothing to do with PunkBuster. It is a server side setting that is part of the unreal engine. It triggers when clients and server are running at different speed.

There is a threshold that servers can adjust to change. We are looking into potentially upping the default threshold.

Sounds like a promising tweak. Thanks for the update, Yoshiro!

Reactions: aD.Luoson
Upvote 0

There is a threshold that servers can adjust to change what this is. We are looking into potentially upping the default threshold.

OK, thanks for clarifying Yoshi :) In your opinion, does it really achieve anything? What I'm asking is, does it really target a genuine exploit that is used to gain an advantage? I'm wondering if any of the people kicked by that detection were actually doing anything wrong - and if it may just be worth turning it off completely?

It definitely happens when the server itself is subject to latency fluctuations - for that reason alone, it seems on the surface to be a faulty detection technique that only penalises "genuine" players. Would changing the threshold avoid such server-side problems, while also still being effective at catching anyone who might be using the exploit?

Upvote 0
It's pretty damn odd that someone gets their post down voted when they're actually trying to help find solutions to problems for other players. :rolleyes:

Dude.... wtf is the point of linking the above in this thread?

This problem has already been posted a number of times in the bug thread and I have looked in that section a number of times but have seen nothing recently explaining in detail what solutions clients can make to improve their situation, so I was asking a general question on if there were any updates on this issue.

If I was posting a new bug, then I would have gone to the bug section to post it, but there is no need to spam another report there of the same bug, nor did I want to resurrect a dead thread.

Other people constantly come into the general section to spam about the game being dead or to spam their issues with the game that haven't been fixed.... so why can't I post one thread about a topic not discussed often in here?

Thanks for the info, I will relay it in the thread I created in the Steam Forums so those who don't venture in here will be kept in the loop and know it's still being looked at.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I feeling a litle bad to talk about this again, but, i realy want to play this game for more then 5 minutes, sorry to mess with the old topics, but this problem is still not resolved, ok, copy of other post i made it:

First, let me say, sorry for reviving a old topic.

But about the Speed Hacker problem, until now, why the Tripware don

Upvote 0