• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

GTactiX RO2 Map Pack

The image was a draft, it's what I've managed to do in 30 minutes.

There's a new version with a litte more work in it. I've added color tones to mark different heights in the terrain, the more "light", the more "high" the terrain is. As you can see, now the river it's easier to identify.

I've added some more details like coordinate lines, but I want to replace them with the real lines in the ingame map with the letters and numbers to be able to mark coordines like "A-4" in GTactiX and be sure it's "A-4" ingame.

It's a great idea to add places names, but I don't know if its better to do it in GTacticX or in the image.

apartments_paper_02.jpg

Many thanks for the feedback,
Theck

Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0
Looks good. These polish details are usually overlooked.

I suggest something of a combination. In your Photoshop/GIMP, you can combine layers. One for the overhead image of the map, one for building outlines and out-of-bounds, one for stains and paper to resemble a real map, etc.

Check out the maps used in Company of Heroes. They use overhead maps and stencil over the top of them in Photoshop, using several layers including building outlines, water, roads, and foliage. They blend and merge the layers together in a way which makes the markers on the map easy to see, but also let you know exactly where you are.

Upvote 0
In Today's update not so much to tell.

Following Maj.Faux-Pas and Harb's advice I've added place names and I'm triying to mix elements from the "photo" of the map and the stencil map.

I've re-used the same building lot of times, it's only as a proof of concept, in the final versions it'll be the real building in every place.

Note that I've added some details like tanks, vehicles and bridges from the photo too.

apartments_paper_03.jpg

Upvote 0
I think these are really great, and I'd like to see a mutator that replaces the current in-game maps with something with this look. I think they are simple to follow and more interesting to look at. I also can never quickly find the little "my location" arrow on the maps, but that's a separate issue.

I'm not sure how to show when a building has multiple stories--maybe just show the internal staircase locations like I think you are now?

Upvote 0
The buildings with multiple floors and basements it's something I'm thinking about constantly. Because ro2 map buildings tend to have two or more floors and a lot of windows in them.

I think that for the major part I'll only show the first floor but I'll try to mark where the windows are.

But for some special locations, like the buldings in pavlov's house, or specially with grain elevator, I'll make a separate image, or portion of the map image, showing every floor of them and where they connect.

For basements and other underground connectors I'm painting them with another color with 50% opacity to show where they are and where they go without disturbing the general map layout. You can see it in the Fallen Figherts image.

Many thanks for the feedback,
Theck

EDIT:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice work.

Just need to add objective boundrys.

The boundry make a huge diffrence.

Can show some tactical spots where enemys start looking for you in the objective..giving you the upper hand.
Objective boundaries it's something we'll add in the last stage when the drawing it's finished because they are different depending on the game mode.

We'll do a map image per game mode. You'll find te-apartments, cd-apartments, etc.

Upvote 0
And finaly, after so many time (sorry, I can't do faster), I can say that Apartments it's [nearly] finished.

I have to do different versions with the cap. zones for every game mode, but all the interiors are done now :D

apartments.jpg

Full size version

Note that I've drawn the propaganda's house 2nd floor separately outside the map because both floors are very different.

The coordinates lines are the final ones. They correspond with the game's lines.

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0